Gameplan

Gameplan is rubbish and we should be winning more games. We need change and sorry but hird has to go unless they are tanking but one more win would be nice. Question what is the gameplan?

Lol

i was just thinking how much we needed a hird thread.

ffs

The list is better than the performances this sesason. Lets face it this team plays ugly and will not go forward playing like this.

Gameplan irrelevant if players confidence is shot. We were gone once we couldn’t capaitalise on fwd play…

Dropped heads
Missed tackles
Sloppy disposal
Not leaving your man to help out
Not taking risks to take game on

How many farkin thread?

1 Like

Even Blind Freddy could see that the players are totally headfucked, and no genius game plan can fix that this year.

apart from anything else the spare man in defence kills us every time.

Even Blind Freddy could see that the players are totally headfucked, and no genius game plan can fix that this year.

Players know their season is over and because of the addeed stress of Wada they couldn’t have it come soon enough. They are not really putting in the effort you would hope but it is understandable to some degree. No amount of shifting of the players, no amount of game plan, no amlunt of anger or yelling or dragging to the bench or sending back to VFL is going to adjust the players thinking. They are simply shot and going through the motions.

There is a game plan? That’s a welcome surprise.

This can’t be said enough

This can’t be said enough

Every team does this once they get a few goals ahead . Since a lot of teams get a few goals break on us early in games, it is now happening every week, and we just allow it to happen.
So, what is the solution? Pass the ball to Hurls or Myers at the 50, and kick it over their heads, Run the ball in to 35 ( overlap run) and have a shot. Create a stoppage inside 50 and roll the dice? Basically these are the only options where there is a spare intercept marker against us. Bombing the ball long from the wing or outside 50 is not working.

Game plan got problems, but every game plan does if players do not kick straight. How many bright starts have we blown by kicking 2.5 in first 1/4? We kick straight against GWS and half time we are 5-6 goals up, it changes things.
Even Adelaide - Hooker gets that simple one from 20 metres and we are in game, he misses and the whole thing falls down. He gets that, then we stay in game for 20 minutes till he or joe misses next one.
I hope Lloyd is being paid by results? And it is not just Joey he works with.
Strange watching good teams play, guys have shot from 45-50 out, 45 degree angle, and it is assumed a goal and usually is. For us it is an assumed point unless 20 metres out dead in front, and even then its dodgy.
Reckon sacking Hird would be nuts as players are heartbroken.
We are super brittle - anything can shatter confidence or momentum.
And that to me is WADA. These poor f***s are waking up in a sweat at 3-4am freaked out about their mates, their club, their careers, their financial security.
Hirds negligence IMO sits not so much re supplements, but by talking about resilience when it was totally obvious boys are feeling it and in trouble, mentally. And Hird too must be on the ropes inside.
Now it is clear what has been hidden - we are a mess - and with no cure on horizon, until after trade period at least, and that includes possible new coach (who is around that has remotely the force required to take on that poisoned chalice?), there is no choice but to suck it up, give boys a good holiday asap, dont hit panic button re players, and hope like hell WADA fails.
Any game plan with these boys will fail right now. WADA story over, good preseason, we can make finals just like it looked like this year.
Shame we kept Winders - thinking finals. Cooney same, but our options re draft were very limited - we get in another guy at pick 100, can waste years on him , and no good anyway, so may as well get sure thing, even if a little old.
At least now we can go into rebuild mode. With maybe best spine in comp. And trade carlisle for a really good, established inside mid, from GC or GWS.
Who cares about game plan if we kick goals.

What was Hirds first four years like compared to Bomba’s at Geelong?

You Kellogg’s mate?

What was Hirds first four years like compared to Bomba's at Geelong?
Heavenly.

Don’t mind the game plan personally, looks good when it comes off except we haven’t had the cattle to execute it 100% for various reasons I.e. Form, injuries & morale / confidence / Saga.

My understanding;

1. Win the contested ball at all cost. First to the ball at stoppages using extra numbers at the contest or if not force a ball up / HTB and get a run on by damaging opposition at clearances - No Ryder, no Bellcho = no ruck and to make matters even worse no Watto, Myers or Hocking = no inside mids all year.

2. Retain possession and methodically kick inside 50 to increase percentages of set shot. If nothing is on, keep possession & switch up the angle of entry inside 50 - the problem is, our dysfunctional (and juvenile) fwd line (which have never really had a continuity of personnel) make unpredictable lead patterns and often our two key forwards are contesting at the same time with no crumbers at the drop. If we mark it, we can’t kick to save our lives and on the other hand if we don’t mark it ball rebounds far too quickly because we lack crumbers / small pressure forwards, midfield leg speed and two way running at times and of course football smarts.

3. Counter attack. Rebound hard on opposition turnovers, going straight down the guts & playing on at all cost - 2 issues here; barely had the outside spread / run as we did in 2013 (Zaka & Melks are shadows of their former selves and we’ve missed Colyer most of the year). Our midfield depth is quite poor as we’re not getting much out of Chappy, Cooney, Dempsey, Jerrett (50/50) not too mention the 3rd/4th year fringe players.

Basically this season would’ve looked ALOT different if…

• We had continuity of personnel in the ruck.
  • Didn’t lose our whole inside mid brigade.
  • Didn’t lose 2 years of draft picks invigorating our list - we could have a second year version of LaVerde on the rotations out there along side Heppell & Zerrett.
  • WADA stayed the fark away allowing our boys to finally concentrate on footy & not have their morale, confidence & love for the game absolutely quashed. Because of this the above fundamentals are not being executed because we can’t even execute the basics in kicking, handballing & kicking at goal.

All in all, it’s been an absolute shambles of a year and I believe a fit list without wada over their heads is top 8 every day if the year. If we didn’t lose draft picks and Ryder & Crameri I bet our fwd line would not have a problem kicking goals, our midfield would not be slow and we’d be challenging.

I’ve got faith in Hird, Dodoro & co. but these are the unfortunate consequences of pushing boundaries too far. Combined with that the corrupt entities in the AFL & ASADA & a bullshite confidential investigation process, we were doomed from Feb 6, 2013.

Imo most have under estimated a lack of Hocking, Watson and Myers
It’s like taking Mitchell, Lewis and someone like Shiels out of Hawthorn or Fyfe and Mundy out of Freo

1 Like
Don't mind the game plan personally, looks good when it comes off except we haven't had the cattle to execute it 100% for various reasons I.e. Form, injuries & morale / confidence / Saga.

My understanding;

1. Win the contested ball at all cost. First to the ball at stoppages using extra numbers at the contest or if not force a ball up / HTB and get a run on by damaging opposition at clearances - No Ryder, no Bellcho = no ruck and to make matters even worse no Watto, Myers or Hocking = no inside mids all year.

2. Retain possession and methodically kick inside 50 to increase percentages of set shot. If nothing is on, keep possession & switch up the angle of entry inside 50 - the problem is, our dysfunctional (and juvenile) fwd line (which have never really had a continuity of personnel) make unpredictable lead patterns and often our two key forwards are contesting at the same time with no crumbers at the drop. If we mark it, we can’t kick to save our lives and on the other hand if we don’t mark it ball rebounds far too quickly because we lack crumbers / small pressure forwards, midfield leg speed and two way running at times and of course football smarts.

3. Counter attack. Rebound hard on opposition turnovers, going straight down the guts & playing on at all cost - 2 issues here; barely had the outside spread / run as we did in 2013 (Zaka & Melks are shadows of their former selves and we’ve missed Colyer most of the year). Our midfield depth is quite poor as we’re not getting much out of Chappy, Cooney, Dempsey, Jerrett (50/50) not too mention the 3rd/4th year fringe players.

Basically this season would’ve looked ALOT different if…

• We had continuity of personnel in the ruck.
  • Didn’t lose our whole inside mid brigade.
  • Didn’t lose 2 years of draft picks invigorating our list - we could have a second year version of LaVerde on the rotations out there along side Heppell & Zerrett.
  • WADA stayed the fark away allowing our boys to finally concentrate on footy & not have their morale, confidence & love for the game absolutely quashed. Because of this the above fundamentals are not being executed because we can’t even execute the basics in kicking, handballing & kicking at goal.

All in all, it’s been an absolute shambles of a year and I believe a fit list without wada over their heads is top 8 every day if the year. If we didn’t lose draft picks and Ryder & Crameri I bet our fwd line would not have a problem kicking goals, our midfield would not be slow and we’d be challenging.

I’ve got faith in Hird, Dodoro & co. but these are the unfortunate consequences of pushing boundaries too far. Combined with that the corrupt entities in the AFL & ASADA & a bullshite confidential investigation process, we were doomed from Feb 6, 2013.

I do believe you are the first person to lay it out in here. Good job.
Don’t get depressed when the usual troop come in and say you’re talking ■■■■.