Gaming Thread - PM Polydeukes your Gaming IDs

I must hate fun but if i got that ■■■■ over my comms that guy would be muted so ■■■■■■■ fast.

My game backlist doesn’t look like finishing any time this year:
Fallout 4
Witcher 3
Uncharted - The collection
Uncharted 4 (when released)
NBA 2K

Ive put fallout 4 on ice until all the DLC stuff is done as I like to play a complete game…

NBA 2k needs a refresh of some sort. Been getting yearly since 09 and although the game is still great it feels tired.

My game backlist doesn't look like finishing any time this year: Fallout 4 Witcher 3 Uncharted - The collection Uncharted 4 (when released) NBA 2K

Ive put fallout 4 on ice until all the DLC stuff is done as I like to play a complete game…

Witcher 3 has another 20 hour expansion coming soonish too.

That list should definitely keep you occupied for the rest of the year.

Who’s looking forward to No Man’s Sky on ps4? Anyone pre-ordered? And what are your expectations?
Personally this is a game I have been waiting for since the days of playing Elite on C64.

Never heard of it. I am very disappointed with Elite Dangerous. It is from what I have seen so far very expansive, there are political factions that you can join and I assume oppose but I have not got that far yet. I am struggling to fly places yet and it is way too technical. I have put in a few more hours but there is so much more to it than the C64 version. I got to Dangerous or Competent in the original (the higher one) after I destroyed that stolen military ship.

I cannot win the dogfight against a Cobra Mk III in the training missions in Elite Dangerous. I used to smoke them with ease on the C64.

The creator of No Man’s Sky did a great interview on Stephan Colbert. https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeN6hj4dZU Check it out, the way the universe is created is mind boggling.

While Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen look absolutely beautiful and immersive, I think no mans sky is more for a casual player that doesn’t have the time for the huge investment in perfecting flight controls and star ship design. A simplified and stylised space sim is exactly what I’m looking forward to. If I invested myself into a game like Star Citizen, I would be divorced and homeless within weeks.

I didn’t think there was a lot to do in star citizen yet?

I didn't think there was a lot to do in star citizen yet?

In that case, might worth risking my marriage.

I am still waiting for Fable to come to PS4… or at least a game that is similar to that.

According to Steam No Man’s Sky is available on the 23rd of June and worth almost $60 at this stage. I reckon it might make an excellent 40th Birthday present for me.

Thanks for letting me know about such a game TeeBee.

Dark Souls 3 in a few days

Cant ■■■■■■ wait!

I’m getting too old to be a ‘completionist’… Also I dont see the point.

Yes I buy the game and do the storyline and some sidequests but I just dont see the point to looking for every little item in a game. Take Uncharted 1 for example. I dont see the point in climbing every wall and searching every inch of the land for little treasures. Yes you get a shiny little digital trophy to brag to your mates that you spent 10-20 extra hours on a game and stopped start the story just to get all the trophy and get extra ‘skins’.

I dont know a single mate that finds that impressive (or really cares) and tells me about it. Only trophys I collect are the ones that I get through the story.

I get that some people are satisfied to get everything out of a game and unlock everything. But in a time strapped world I barely get through a game before a new one is out.

I'm getting too old to be a 'completionist'.. Also I dont see the point.

Yes I buy the game and do the storyline and some sidequests but I just dont see the point to looking for every little item in a game. Take Uncharted 1 for example. I dont see the point in climbing every wall and searching every inch of the land for little treasures. Yes you get a shiny little digital trophy to brag to your mates that you spent 10-20 extra hours on a game and stopped start the story just to get all the trophy and get extra ‘skins’.

I dont know a single mate that finds that impressive (or really cares) and tells me about it. Only trophys I collect are the ones that I get through the story.

I get that some people are satisfied to get everything out of a game and unlock everything. But in a time strapped world I barely get through a game before a new one is out.

I like the idea of trophies. It sort of makes me explore things or play the game a way that I wouldn’t usually. That’s not to say I’m much of a hunter of trophies. But if I play a game and just through playing normally I get around 80% of the trophies I’ll probably try and clean it up.

Dark Souls 3 in a few days

Cant ■■■■■■ wait!

I’m going in to this one almost completely blind. I think I watched one of the trailers a few months ago and that’s it. I saw too much of Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne before release. I feel like going in blind is the way it’s supposed to be.

I'm getting too old to be a 'completionist'.. Also I dont see the point.

I like the idea of trophies. It sort of makes me explore things or play the game a way that I wouldn’t usually. That’s not to say I’m much of a hunter of trophies. But if I play a game and just through playing normally I get around 80% of the trophies I’ll probably try and clean it up.

Achievements can be good if they are well designed and force to you to adopt a different play-style or make things more challenging. They need to be considered and road-tested though to make sure that they bring additional value to the playing experience. I spent hours trying to get all the achievements in FTL, because each was very uniquely challenging and required you to approach a play-through in a totally different style than if you were going for a pure victory. It really helped bring out the depth and complexity of that game engine, when you are forced to try an win without be able to use the strategies you were most comfortable with.

I agree that achievements popularized by games such as Assassins Creed or GTA that ask you to find 100s of objects that a spread randomly throughout a sandbox environment is bullshit and represents lazy developers trying to make games seem deeper than they actually are.

No talk on HITMAN?

Like the mechanics. Haven’t really delved into the Paris level yet.

I’ve done 3 weeks of Civ.

1 week of civ 3
1 week of civ 4
1 week of civ 5

I feel quite broken and see the world in hexagonal squares right now.

I've done 3 weeks of Civ.

1 week of civ 3
1 week of civ 4
1 week of civ 5

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

I've done 3 weeks of Civ.

1 week of civ 3
1 week of civ 4
1 week of civ 5

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

I need open borders, why won’t you give me open borders!