Garlett quits afl

Here’s our chance!

Maybe he can be our new coach?

Best of luck to the young fella. Sincerely hope he is ok. Still think having him live with Hodge was a mistake though. I would be amazed if the two could relate to each other at all. An uber professional, privileged, white, number one draft pick vs a young Aboriginal kid struggling with the demands of AFL footy away from his family.

Empathy is important in coaching/disciplining. I hope the Hawks have tried their hardest, but I fear they haven’t.

Best of luck to the young fella. Sincerely hope he is ok. Still think having him live with Hodge was a mistake though. I would be amazed if the two could relate to each other at all. An uber professional, privileged, white, number one draft pick vs a young Aboriginal kid struggling with the demands of AFL footy away from his family.
Empathy is important in coaching/disciplining. I hope the Hawks have tried their hardest, but I fear they haven't.

Ummm what?! What's Hodges skin colour got to do with it? He is probably the most professional and dedicated player at the HFC. Skin colour aside who else would you have him bunker down with? Gibbo? Hill? Based on what you see in the media, Gibbo is a party boy and Hill is just a kid himself.
That's like saying he shouldn't Bunker with Watson and Goddard because they are white, uber professional and privileged. If I had a kid who wanted the chance to play but had Dayles background, regardless of ethnic background I would put them up with the most dedicated and professional player at the club.

Family club fallacy

I wanted him - sad state of affairs. Yet again the club knows best.

WSPHU

Correct.

Expect a WA club to pick him up

I wanted him, bullet dodged.

Do Hawthorn still feel smug???

Empathy is important in coaching/disciplining. I hope the Hawks have tried their hardest, but I fear they haven't.

Ummm what?! What's Hodges skin colour got to do with it? He is probably the most professional and dedicated player at the HFC. Skin colour aside who else would you have him bunker down with? Gibbo? Hill? Based on what you see in the media, Gibbo is a party boy and Hill is just a kid himself.
That's like saying he shouldn't Bunker with Watson and Goddard because they are white, uber professional and privileged. If I had a kid who wanted the chance to play but had Dayles background, regardless of ethnic background I would put them up with the most dedicated and professional player at the club.

You're missing the point slightly. I'm trying to illustrate the difference between the two, more than make it a racially based thing. Please don't get that twisted.
My point is that I can imagine there would be frustration from both sides because of a lack of genuine understanding of each other.
Garlett would feel out of his depth and intimidated, and putting him with Hodge (who is a very professional footballer) could intimidate him further, and actually scare him off footy. Hodge would look at Garlett and think "he won't cut it" or "he's not up to the standard required".
I'm far from suggesting he should only bunk with indigenous players. But perhaps a more gently gently approach wIth someone a little less polar opposite would work better?
As for your kids, that's your call and I won't question that. I would put mine with the people who are most likely to understand them and nurture them rather than turn them into the robots that athletes are becoming, but then I have girls, and apparently I'm soft :-)
Anyway. ■■■■ Hawthorn.

Hope he gets his head together.

I also hope we pick him up in a year or two and he tears it up for us.

Glad we didn't get him.

And no we don't ever want him or need him.

Pretty sure Hodge knows a thing or two about not being an uber professional. Pretty sure Mitchell let him know all about it a few years back.

I'm battling to understand how he missed training when he lives with Hodge. Surely it's as simple as "when Luke heads off, so do I"

Damn it, why does the club so often know better? First they kept Hooker, then they didn’t pick Garlett - twice! Went after Caddy hard. Are they trying to embarrass half of Blitz???
Would have personally liked him for a late pick, very glad with Ambrose instead!

I wish Dayle all the best. Hope things work out for him when he gets back home. I wasn't too happy when haw picked him up, after the reports by those in the know on BB. However, now no-one has got him which is disappointing because I would have loved to see him play at afl level.

He would have succeeded at Essendon, Lovett Murray would have mentored him..............

It's a hard life especially a club like Hawthorn. Imagine if Buddy was still there. Party bros. Maybe the only reason why he stayed this long. Needed a mentor did Garlett. Next.

Dodoro owed an apology…obviously knew where this kid was at.

Must have failed his drivers license!