Gauging interest in Friday night football

2011 at Docklands was a cracker. Goodes nearly won Sydney the game but also lost it by missing a sitter on the run, giving us a free in the goal square by tapping it from the ruck over the goal line and then a miss after the siren.

Spoilers.

1 Like

Should be something generally available – maybe on Kayo, given many of us just signed up cheap/for free?

And yeah, spoiler warnings should apply :slight_smile:

1996 prelim.

Until May 31, the Blitz online fixture should be:

Round 2: Essendon v Sydney 2011 (Goodes miss)

Round 3: Essendon v Carlton 1998 (Silvagni turnover)

Round 4: Essendon v GWS 2019 (Mr Hooker you’re the best)

Round 5: Essendon v Adelaide 1993 prelim

Round 6: Anzac Day 2009

Round 7: Essendon v Melbourne 2007 (Neale Daniher last game, Lucas match winner)

Round 8: Essendon v Geelong 1996 (Boris) or 2011 (unexpected classic)

Round 9: Essendon v North 1999 (we all know the comeback, but this game when Lloyd kicked 7 and Carey 10 is one of the greatest ever matches from the peak era for football)

Round 10: Dreamtime 2013 (a Jobe masterclass. Geez we haven’t played many good games with Richmond)

Round 11: Essendon v Gold Coast 2011 (maybe just show the first quarter)

Round 12 (bye, no other opponent): Essendon v Essendon round 1 2020

3 Likes

Great idea and I like what @Blummers32 said re a game with the team we were meant to play that week.

1 Like

Random game against team we were meant to play with no clues as to which Game/Year, … so as many as possible won’t know the result, … and No Spoilers from those that click to it or know which game it is would work best IMO.

10 Likes

There was a channel that put up full AFL games, but I can’t remember what it was called…

Edit…
Found it…

I actually mentioned this idea to my Essendon mates as soon as I found out the season was delayed/cancelled, but said we could watch the 2000 season.

But I also like this idea. Question is, how do we stream it across several screens?

I have no knowledge of the TV rights situation, but is there any chance of the AFL broadcasting a similar thing on Friday/ Saturday night? Just roll out a ‘classic’ game for that particular round.

Surely thatd get more views on TV than whatever random, bottom of the barrel movie theyd play otherwise.

2 Likes

Round 22 2009

I want to see Lloyd damn near decapitate Sewell again

Brown slap Monfries like a little ■■■■■

We run over the top of hawthorn, plus everyone can rip into Quartermaine and walls for being so damn biased throughout the match

2 Likes

And a young Hurley beasted it, kicking 4.

1 Like

Is that the game where you see him take the time to flip the ball laces out?

1 Like

I think so, running on the flank, flips it and dobbs it from 50

1 Like

Im in.

Also think we do a game agaisnt our scheduled opponents

I nominate
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1999/051619990410.html

Only full game i can find on YT vs Sydney is 2001

2009 vs Hawthorn, and not Round 2, 2015? (Hooker’s goal to win the match)

Also, this is an awesome idea.

Also on YT is Bomberblitz93 and 2000

Wow Rare Essendonfc Videos is a gold mine. That page should see us through 2 months if we do this.

I move that the bye is Bomberblitz93 and 2000

1 Like

Yes. Glorious. I remember that last quarter of Hurley’s vividly. Thought we had our Lloyd replacemet. Made me feel a bit better that Lloyd had most likely playee his last game

Sigh, makes me feel old.