Gavin Wanganeen

link - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x251qli_open-mike-2014-e25-gavin-wanganeen-sep-1st-576p-x264-vb_sport

1 Like

Was my original favourite player.
I cried for days when he left.
When I met him I told him that and his response:
You reckon you cried mate

Yep one of the few times ive ever cried.
I dont begrudge him going but was gutted at the time.

One of the biggest impacts to our club was Wanganeen leaving......what a warrior and one of the saddest exodus's from the club to another team I believe in our history. A bit of man love I think.....!
Really surprised when he left given his wife Stephanie's family ties in Essendon.
My daughter cried when Wanganeen left.
What a great interview in Open Mike. Hope Tex comes our way!

i was hung over on a toilet on the gold coast when i spied a tiny skerrick somewhere under the water polo section in the local rag.
didnt need toilet paper.

I have non idea what this means.

One of the biggest impacts to our club was Wanganeen leaving......what a warrior and one of the saddest exodus's from the club to another team I believe in our history. A bit of man love I think.....!
Really surprised when he left given his wife Stephanie's family ties in Essendon.

i was hung over on a toilet on the gold coast when i spied a tiny skerrick somewhere under the water polo section in the local rag.
didnt need toilet paper.

Glad it wasn't just me...!

Wanganeen leaving reminded me of Moss leaving. Gutted. Double gutted.

I had no idea leaving was so hard for him and the Bombers still mean so much. It seems deep down he wishes he stayed. What a great story. Champion.

Reminded me of when Ronaldo left United.

That’s how good he was. Similar age too. Think Ronny was 24-25 from memory?

Was a good episode. Like a few others I was gutted when he left - was my favourite player as a young teen at the time. Younger brother put some salt on the wound by choosing to follow Port because of it.

Can see his reasons for it now I'm older, great to see he's still got more than a soft spot for Essendon though. Have to be some sort of player to get in the club's Team of the Century for 4-5 years playing here.

Wasn’t old enough to experience the pain when he left. However, I do advise everyone to watch the interview.

Exceptional story.

didnt need toilet paper.

Glad it wasn't just me...!

i saw a very tiny article on his leaving in the gold coast bulletin.

i found another use for it shortly afterwards.

Hate that he left but enjoyed every second of him and dimma torching the lions in the gf. What might have Been

Still my favourite player.  Still remember seeing him for the first time against West Coast in a foster's cup match out Waverley he was electric.  Not many 17 year olds could do that today.  He owes us a flag, I'd say 99'.  I blame his old man.  Family who needs them when you have Essendon.  

I would have only been 5 when he left, so I cant really relate to the feeling of when he left. But from the sounds of it, it’d be like if heppell left us now and went to the blues

I would have only been 5 when he left, so I cant really relate to the feeling of when he left. But from the sounds of it, it'd be like if heppell left us now and went to the blues

Nah, completely differant. His boyhood club finally entered a team in the AFL and he was selected to be the innaugral skipper. As much as it hurt I could fully understand. Going to Carlscum on the other hand.....

I was only fresh out of the womb when he won the brownlow. Looking back at his stats, he only averaged 17.6 possessions a game and kicked only the 5 goals for the year. 

For those who were privileged enough to watch him, what made him so great and which modern AFL player would you compare him to? 

That was a bittersweet episode to watch…So many good memories of Wanga…Only one bad one,when he left…That was a ■■■■■ feeling for all…

He will always be a champion of our club.

I was only fresh out of the womb when he won the brownlow. Looking back at his stats, he only averaged 17.6 possessions a game and kicked only the 5 goals for the year.
For those who were privileged enough to watch him, what made him so great and which modern AFL player would you compare him to?

I honestly don't think I've seen a player quite like him since he retired, with the perfect blend of attack, defense, bravery and skill. McLeod would be closest I reckon.

I would have only been 5 when he left, so I cant really relate to the feeling of when he left. But from the sounds of it, it'd be like if heppell left us now and went to the blues

Nah, completely differant. His boyhood club finally entered a team in the AFL and he was selected to be the innaugral skipper. As much as it hurt I could fully understand. Going to Carlscum on the other hand.....
And he was a brownlow medalist and premiership player.

Still my favourite player.  Still remember seeing him for the first time against West Coast in a foster's cup match out Waverley he was electric.  Not many 17 year olds could do that today.  He owes us a flag, I'd say 99'.  I blame his old man.  Family who needs them when you have Essendon.  

l firmly believe we would have won the flag in '99 if he had stayed. Probably would have won the flag in 1990 as well if Dodger had not been cut loose. Add another flag or few for Neale Daniher. Ah, what might have been. 

That's the type of stuff that drives fark carlton fans insane. Not only did we beat them in a grand final, but they consider Williams not winning the brownlow that year - with his voteless 42 possession games - as the greatest robbery in AFL history.  

His stats meant nothing. It was just that everything he did was effective. He was either putting himself into ridiculous situations just to win a contest, or he was setting up goals from half back. The way that defense of Wanga, Bomba, Harvey, O'Donnell and a very young Fletch moved the ball that year, was probably some of the best defensive rebound work I can remember.

As for the comparison part.... I can't think of any. There probably are, but nobody jumps out to me. The best I can do is this:

If you combined all of Dempsey's best attributes, with Winderlich's best attributes, and added Jobe's inside work, Cale Hooker's intercept marking ability and Mark Baguley's balls, and then put it all into a body the size of Michael Gleeson, you'd be getting close to Wanga.

I just watched the Open Mike episode. I don't think I can stay mad at him any more.

Fark he was good.   

1 Like