Gavin Wanganeen

Who is/was harder out of he and Bags?

Wanganeen by a country mile.

We probably would have won 99/00/01 if he'd stayed, in all seriousness.

And we weren't compensated for his loss because he was going to a start up interstate club etc.

F***ing bulls*** it was.

I was only fresh out of the womb when he won the brownlow. Looking back at his stats, he only averaged 17.6 possessions a game and kicked only the 5 goals for the year. 

For those who were privileged enough to watch him, what made him so great and which modern AFL player would you compare him to? 

That's the type of stuff that drives fark carlton fans insane. Not only did we beat them in a grand final, but they consider Williams not winning the brownlow that year - with his voteless 42 possession games - as the greatest robbery in AFL history.  

His stats meant nothing. It was just that everything he did was effective. He was either putting himself into ridiculous situations just to win a contest, or he was setting up goals from half back. The way that defense of Wanga, Bomba, Harvey, O'Donnell and a very young Fletch moved the ball that year, was probably some of the best defensive rebound work I can remember.

Point of order: Gary O'Donnell played as a midfielder in 1993. David Grenvold is the missing man from your backline.

As for Wanga, seeing him speak of Essendon with so much obvious affection and the manner of his departure with so much regret does a lot to soothe any lingering grudges.

Combine the two and you get M.Thompson

I remember being at Subi back in 1996 against the Eagles and him matched up on Ben Cousins in his debut year.

Gav gave him a bath that day which was still a pretty good effort considering Cuzzy's brilliant debut season form.

My best memory of that game was waiting to get in outside the changeroom door after the game and hearing Sheeds

ripping into the team after letting slip a nine goal third qtr to having a goalless last term to lose by six points.Anyway after

about 30 mins they let us in and we got to mingle amongst the players and what struck me was how tall Wanga actually

was in real life.Those low hanging shorts of his made him look like he had stumpy legs which in turn made him look short

on TV.

Another great memory was the last qtr Wanganeen inspired 47pt down comeback against Melbourne in 1992 at the 'G.

From memory he was the catalyst that got the side rolling after the Dees scored the first goal of the last qtr 5 mins in.

He ended up scoring the winning goal from a set shot 50mtrs out.

My God what a stunning footballer he was for our club and a humble champ too...just farking loved him.

I remember being at Subi back in 1996 against the Eagles and him matched up on Ben Cousins in his debut year.

Gav gave him a bath that day which was still a pretty good effort considering Cuzzy's brilliant debut season form.

My best memory of that game was waiting to get in outside the changeroom door after the game and hearing Sheeds

ripping into the team after letting slip a nine goal third qtr to having a goalless last term to lose by six points.Anyway after

about 30 mins they let us in and we got to mingle amongst the players and what struck me was how tall Wanga actually

was in real life.Those low hanging shorts of his made him look like he had stumpy legs which in turn made him look short

on TV.

Another great memory was the last qtr Wanganeen inspired 47pt down comeback against Melbourne in 1992 at the 'G.

From memory he was the catalyst that got the side rolling after the Dees scored the first goal of the last qtr 5 mins in.

He ended up scoring the winning goal from a set shot 50mtrs out.

My God what a stunning footballer he was for our club and a humble champ too...just farking loved him.

Oh Yea.

I remember that Melbourne game too. Was living in Mildura at the that time, was sitting outside and listening to the game on the radio, when he kicked that goal, 'oh boy, wow wee'.

Watched the interview today, bought back some good memories and was very happy for Wanga when Port won the GF, moreso now.

His love for Hirdy and Mercuri was very touching also. 

Harsh. Wanganeen had the advantage that he didn‘t obey the laws of physics (i.e. he‘d jump into trouble, take the ball, and then detour mid-air to avoid said trouble).

Hardness,  about the same,  coordination, athletic and gymnastic ability :  Wanganeen,  way ahead   IMO.  

Harsh. Wanganeen had the advantage that he didn‘t obey the laws of physics (i.e. he‘d jump into trouble, take the ball, and then detour mid-air to avoid said trouble).

That is the most spot on explanation of the way Gav played i've ever read!

The concussion rule would not have been Gavin’s friend

I remember being at Subi back in 1996 against the Eagles and him matched up on Ben Cousins in his debut year.
Gav gave him a bath that day which was still a pretty good effort considering Cuzzy's brilliant debut season form.
My best memory of that game was waiting to get in outside the changeroom door after the game and hearing Sheeds
about 30 mins they let us in and we got to mingle amongst the players and what struck me was how tall Wanga actually
on TV.
From memory he was the catalyst that got the side rolling after the Dees scored the first goal of the last qtr 5 mins in.
He ended up scoring the winning goal from a set shot 50mtrs out.
My God what a stunning footballer he was for our club and a humble champ too...just farking loved him.

Oh Yea.
I remember that Melbourne game too. Was living in Mildura at the that time, was sitting outside and listening to the game on the radio, when he kicked that goal, 'oh boy, wow wee'.
Watched the interview today, bought back some good memories and was very happy for Wanga when Port won the GF, moreso now.
His love for Hirdy and Mercuri was very touching also.
I've got the last quarter of that Melbourne game on tape, the club sold it and it's called "comeback, if you think you can win you will". The game wasn't televised on channel seven so the vision is MCG vision alongside the K-rock commentary with Teddy Whitten.

Wanganeen will always be one of my favorites but I haven't seen Baguely shirk a contest yet.
For hardness I would say Baguely is in the same ball park as Wanganeen.

Answer=not bags .. And the game was harder back then, this kid would leave laughed if he collided with Byron Pickett then got up and get BOG.

Great stuff...it's a pity the media don't spend more time making quality productions like that rather than spending so much time on scandal.

Just watched wanganeens open mike. Good efc added to app.

He was obviously torn between efc and port. Seemed to be a lot essendon focused interview

I vaguely remember gavin falling off one of those rocking horse toys at the play ground, injuring his ankle and being in doubt for a big match

I was about 8 at the time so go easy on me.

Fark port also.

The other thing about Wanganeen was his body shape and frame actually meant he had a very low centre of gravity. This was one of the key elements of his agility and mobility (as per DJR). 

Two other people in his time had the similar low centre of gravity - G Ablett Snr and Peter Daicos.

As did The General Gary O.

As does one Zach Merret. 1/3 legs, 2/3 body.

I must be one of the rare Bombers supporters who didn't have it in for Gav when he left. I was gutted that he left, but I could understand why he did. I never realised that he didn't speak to the other players or Sheeds about his decision to leave though. Very, very good interview, and so many great memories dredged up from the dim distant past. Definitely ranks in the top 20 players I have had the privilege of watching.