Gavin Wanganeen

Who is/was harder out of he and Bags?

Take 2014 Dyson Heppell

Shift him to the back pocket

Make him two years younger

Add seeming suicidal courage to cut-off leading forwards

Then you're starting to get something like 1993 Gavin Wanganeen. 

Take 2014 Dyson Heppell

Bags reminds me of Bomber Thompson. Both uncompromising.
Wanga was just a freak.

Take 2014 Dyson Heppell

So 2012 Dyson Heppell?
Played in the d50
Was two years younger
I can think of two times off the top of my head he ran full speed with the flight of the ball to take a mark in front of oncoming players

Wanganeen by a country mile.

Wanganeen will always be one of my favorites but I haven't seen Baguely shirk a contest yet.
For hardness I would say Baguely is in the same ball park as Wanganeen.

Mark Harvey used to throw himself in like a madman. Wanganeen seemed to be made of rubber.

Both of them had a reckless disregard for their own safety, guts personified. Harvey probably picked up the most injuries of any Essendon player since Barry Davis. Wanganeen was so fearless that l was scared for his well being. He would not only take marks running with the flight of the ball, but he would take them in front of a rampaging Plugger. l thought if ever there was a player who was going to be broken in half, it would have been him. Just a great, great player. 

Take 2014 Dyson Heppell

So 2012 Dyson Heppell?
Played in the d50
Was two years younger
I can think of two times off the top of my head he ran full speed with the flight of the ball to take a mark in front of oncoming players

No. I had to re-word that post a few times.

2014 quality of play Dyson Heppell. 

Wanga would do that two times a match (or quarter) and the forwards had more space to lead into and did it more often than today. Plugger / Modra / Ablett / Dunstall / Sumich / Longmire / Rocca / Lynch / Kernahan / Carey / Loewe... 

Take 2014 Dyson Heppell

Bags reminds me of Bomber Thompson. Both uncompromising.
Wanga was just a freak.

After 60 years of watching Footy, Gavin Wanganeen ranks in my top 5 players ever.  

If you get the chance to watch the open Mike interview you won't regret it.

I thought it ripped my guts out when he left (I was 15 & it bloody killed me!!) but clearly it still hurts him now to even talk about it.

He's an Essendon supporter & person which is brilliant. Seeing his eyes well up whenever Sheahan mentioned Essendon, & yet remain so calm/dull whenever he talked about Port said more than words ever could.   

Fantastic interview with one of the greats. Spoke very well.

TEX WANGANEEN

I must be one of the rare Bombers supporters who didn't have it in for Gav when he left. I was gutted that he left, but I could understand why he did. I never realised that he didn't speak to the other players or Sheeds about his decision to leave though. Very, very good interview, and so many great memories dredged up from the dim distant past. Definitely ranks in the top 20 players I have had the privilege of watching.

I felt exactly the same about it, LB. 

Up until this interveiw,  whenever the topic came up I would always post a message to people who couldn't forgive a reminder that Port was his first club, and that he was being offered the historic role as their first ever AFL Captain.

I always forgave him, and always remembered and held on to the joy he gave me while wearing Black with the Red Sash.

I haven't caught this interview yet,  but I think it's only going to increase my already deep affection for this guy.

Paddy needs to talk to Gav

Wanganeen - Had ridiculous courage - Though Harvey's courage was even more insane.

TEX WANGANEEN

won a brownlow

Interesting hearing him talk about witnessing the 2000 premiership and the emotions.

He definitely loves the club and the time he spent there.

heard he barracked for us as a kid

wsphu

T - ■■■■.

Coming to a HFF near you in 2022.

Gav pretty much won Port their 2004 flag too... his prelim and GF were both top notch...

Gav pretty much won Port their 2004 flag too... his prelim and GF were both top notch...

Add hardwick to that also.. he was inside their heads all day.. acting skills top notch that day

I remember watching him in a GF for Port Adelaide before he was drafted. I think there was talk that we were interested in him already.

His debut was a close win against Richmond, wasn't memorable for anything, his first season there were glimpses. That mark against West Coast, that was the jacket waving game in '93 right?

If you get the chance watch last nights Open Mike interview with Gavin.
Great interview, great player, clearly stills loves the Bombers.

OUTSTANDING.