Pell and other allegations

So the more we understand about the unknown, the less there is of a god.

edit: Also, you’re falling into the illogical fallacy of “I don’t know, therefore god”.

And your statement: “And as there will always be unknowns as everything is never all knowable, God will always exist.” It’s simply incorrect to take that position in the first place as to say there will always be unknowns is a presupposition you’ve created to support a circular argument.

Gods exist only in the imagination of mankind, a superstitious species of semi intelligent killer apes.

4 Likes

I hope one day someone who believe in Gods can explain any basis for such nonsense.

The unknown is like the universe. Unlimited. Doesnt mean we stop trying to understand it.

And an unknown might be getting through the day, actions you can’t control.

Faith is to find strength to move through whatever it may be.

Its why so many find God as they close in on death.

1 Like

Nah, that’s insurance. You almost certainly won’t need it but just in case… not really a belief system, imo

So how do you explain intelligent design to start with?

It depends on what you think God is.

To me God is defined by my unknowns. Teachings of God are positive actions and thoughts to get through life. As philosophers have progressed their words have been “taken as the word of God” as they defined what they didnt know before.

Salvation was delivered in a dark time in the middle east when Jesus came along and taught forgiveness in a time of eye for an eye, and endless fighting.

I use Jesus here as a relatable figure of God. There are many relatable forms of “God” in the world.

Now excuse me while I go and say a prayer to the footy gods :wink:

We will beat the Giants on Sunday.

Is this the things that make you go hmmmm thread?

3 Likes

Hmmm, but Vanders, Jesus is just a myth.

I don’t think its up to atheists to disproved that god exists. Live and let live. I can respect that people believe in god. Can’t understand it but don’t really have to.

1 Like

I cannot accept that Jesus stuck someone’s ear back onto their head with magic.

He is a product of Chinese whispers.

Paul was the one that hailed him as the Son of God. And evidence of his writings didnt happen until the idea of Jesus spread to Greece, the home of the thinker(mainly because the thinker writes) .

Wut?? blink

That’s not a serious question, … is it?

You don’t have too. That’s where rational thought loses it. The teachings of Jesus surfaced 200 years after his death to sell his greatness in southern europe.

But his ideas. The simple ideas of forgiveness, love etc revolutionised civilisation. What many would say make us “civilized”.

And not to credit him as the first. But certainly the first for who started following him to begin with. Some blood thirsty and oppressed tribe in the middle east… Inspired by??

Maybe Jesus was inspired by his Mum. She might have forgiven his dad.
(if the theory she was actually raped or a prostitute).

Anyway digressing from God. My definition still stands. Its someones unknowns. Invent a time machine, meet Jesus and I bet God is probably something different.

But def still exists😉

All this God talk comes across a bit pompous and pious. That’s not me.

Not sure science is going to be able to definitively explain morality, beauty, free-will etc anytime soon so God may be useful for a while yet.

1 Like

God isn’t necessary for those discussions to take place and continue, philosophy covers them all.

1 Like

Ok Cap.

Of course it’s a belief. It’s a belief that the laws of nature just exist, and were not set up by a god who then sat back and let the clockwork (and free-ish will) run uninterrupted.

It passes the Occam’s Razor test but is absolutely unprovable. Hence it’s a belief.

(You might guess from the above that I label myself an agnostic. The atheists are very likely right, but science can’t prove that.)

5 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

EFA