Pell and other allegations

Dusting off the rucksack, dude. Plenty more of the ‘hyakumeizan’ to complete. :wink:

1 Like

Trails and tributaries!

1 Like

Hey, that’s a good one. I like it. Might use that in the future. :+1:

You know what’s crap? Religions being exempt from paying tax. After they find all the pedos, that should be the next port of call.

7 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/a-top-cardinals-sex-abuse-conviction-is-huge-news-in-australia-but-the-media-cant-report-it-there/2018/12/12/49c0eb68-fe27-11e8-83c0-b06139e540e5_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a16497ffc67f

2 Likes

According to this article, the whole church is rotten to the core. Many serious allegations made. There is even an inference that can be drawn that Pell was given leave to contest the charges in Australia to get him out of Rome and stop him from reforming the dodgy financial practices, and that an inner cabal can control the pope.

Perhaps Puzo & Coppola were on to something in The Godfather Part III, CJ. :wink:

1 Like

The Godfather Part 3 always suffers in comparison to the first 2 parts, but l thought it was well done, and is under rated.

4 Likes

Two points that struck me from this article.

1. The verdict was unanimous.
  2. “The secrecy surrounding the court case — and now the verdict — is offensive. That’s especially so because it echoes the secrecy that has always been so appalling a part of widespread sexual abuse by priests.”
    Bit by bit, piece by piece the facade is beginning to crack and fall. Pell’s fall is a major blow for the church, as more cases will now come out.

Except the first trial ended in a hung jury - Pell will appeal this case - Who knows what will happen with the second trial.

Yes, the first trial was a hung jury.
Yes, he will appeal.
Yes, this isn’t the end of the entire sordid case.

It is the beginning of many more issues for the church.
It is the end of Cardinal Pell.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that the reason for the secrecy is to not to prejudice another case. The fear is reporting would leave this other case open to the defence arguing a fair trail wasn’t heard.

Although it doesn’t sit well, if this is the reason it does make some sense. You don’t want a technicality reducing the level of punishment.

3 Likes

That’s exactly right. The victims in that othe case have rights too. They want to see the perpetrator brought to justice.

I’m mildly uncomfortable with the suppression too but if it means that convictions against Pell and other scumbags like him are more likely to stick then I am all for it.

It’s also not unique to this case. It’s very very very common in circumstances when an accused is facing multiple trials in succession.

2 Likes

The other FOUR cases , trials

Old mate’s gonna spend a bit of time in the dock o’the next few years

2 Likes

Tell me again … ‘old mate’ > ‘china plate’ > ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ cockney innit
1 Like

And yet once the dust settles on this episode, it will be business as usual.

The Catholics, Brian Houston with the help of disciples to hide and cover up his old man’s fiddling habits, that Jew school in Melbourne which protected the security guard who fiddled a student and then ostracised the lad who had been abused. They’re all the same.

1 Like

Do you not have Judge only trials down there?

Allows for the end of stupid supression orders…

Itchy date?

1 Like