Pell and other allegations

1 Like

For a brief period there in the 1980’s I wanted to be Billy Dee Williams.

1 Like

Creed or Calrissian?

Jesus I was almost fooled for a second there.

1 Like

Calrissian although I’m not sure I’d have the stones to put a spaceship on the line for a bet.

Ever seen a grown man naked?

1 Like

Nor was the priest who was a rock spider.

And so it begins.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/37369515/crowd-gathers-for-cardinal-george-pell-court-appearance/

Sorry to hear that and my sympathies to your family.

What about this. My grandfather was one of the real old-school gentlemen. He was a devout catholic. He went to the same church in Fitzroy for 80+ years, except for the few years he served in the Army overseas in WW2, and the last couple of years of his life when he was in a nursing home.

After he retired, he also volunteered for work at that same church helping them with their book-keeping etc. They would have seen him there literally (and unlike many BBers, I know what that word means) every day of the year for 20+ years.

When he died, I asked for one of the priests from that church to preside over his funeral Mass at the nursing home in the adjacent suburb (Northcote) and/or at the burial in the next adjacent suburb at Melbourne general cemetery.

The answer was no to both requests. They could not be bothered.

So much for service. So much for loyalty. So much for compassion.

Of course protecting paedophiles is inexcusable. But failing to support families like Soulnet described, or my grandfather’s case does nothing to enhance their case. No wonder so many people are turning away.

4 Likes

What reason did they give for refusing?

The funeral and the burial were not in their parish. (Both were in adjacent suburbs). My grandfather was not known in the Northcote parish having been only there for the last couple of years in the Catholic nursing home there.

1 Like

@Deckchair29
Well said

The word to describe the level of arseholery displayed by the rc church hasn’t been invented yet.

4 Likes

One of the guys at our cricket club hanged himself after breaking up with his girl friend.

My uncle, who was the local parish priest, did the requiem and funeral for him anyway. He said that any suicide was generally considered to be in a state of despair and not responsible for their actions.

This was 25 years ago though. That parish is pretty well dead now though. When we moved there in 1970, they got about 1000 people at 4 masses. Under 30 at one mass now. The demographics have changed a lot though. Predominantly Jewish area now.

My mate’s family priest refused to marry him and his fiance because a) she had been married once before and b) she was a filthy presbyterian. Mate got the impression being a filthy presbyterian was the worse of the two. That priest not only lost mate and fiance but all of mate’s family as well.

1 Like

Well this is pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.

3 Likes

Most of my uncles, my father and several of my cousins attended that school.

The statue is an accurate depiction of the history of the place. Except the priest in the statue bears a kindly expression.

2 Likes

Priest in the statue looks like he’s having a very humdrum Monday. Begs the question just how often that sort of thing happened?

1 Like

Way to make this thread aaaaaallll serious.

Still looks suss with the sheet on imo