Getting Old - The 40+ Brigade

Funny, I had a thing with a radiographer for a while, who was then mid 30s (almost 10 years ago). On our second date she asked if it was OK if she called me darling. Then she did, lots, and while I didn’t object, it was kinda weird. She was weird, but fun while it lasted. Potential undocumented effects of radiation.

1 Like

Mate of mine had a valve replacement. He’s a GUN engineer. Aussie that was based in the USA. Researched the earth for the best solution. It was an Australian doctor here in Melbourne. Stitched in sawtooth - very structurally sound. Moved one valve. Human valve for the replacement.

My mate is seriously fit. By the way, the secret was to go into surgery as fit as possible. Long op.

All the best.

1 Like

In 10 years, … they’ll almost certainly just 3D print him a new genetically identical replacement, then likely put it in robotically via laser & keyhole surgery.

He might well even be awake to watch it happen the way they are going.

1 Like

This might be about where I’ve ended up. Hairline crept back a bit through my mid twenties but now at 30 I don’t think much has changed in a while. Probably shouldn’t speak so soon though.

Nah, we were talking about Justin Murphy at the dome many years ago. I thought it was a hilarious description.

My offer of free cuddles stands.

1 Like

Oh, that’s OK. I stand by the Murphy call. Could have been any one of the 27,000 odd times I referred to him by that opprobrious, yet well-justified, epithet.

Might pass on the cuddles. I got asked by a lady in a shop today what sort of colours I wanted in a rug. I asked her if I looked like a bloke who is “good with colours “.

4 Likes

As you age, receding hair is the least of the worries.

2 Likes

Appropriate.

Thanks mate. That’s good to know. Heading back for the mandatory annual stress test in 6 weeks.

1 Like

Buy a good hair piece.

Ever seen a decent wig?

I’m in the club and in the most part I’m enjoying it. I’ve got glasses now, don’t pull up as well after a few bottles of wine but thats ok. In the last 2 years a bulging disc has slowed me down. Anyone successfully navigated that issue? A bad back has such a negative effect on your day to day life.

Yup. A few of them.

I have the disc issue. Lower back herniated disc. Took 6-months of heavy duty pain-killers / anti-inflammatory to no effect. Then got a new doctor who said to go with a strict, professional, physio program. 6-months later I was finally pain free. My recommendation is see your doctor and get the best physio you can get. Beats the hell out of chemicals or, god forbid, back surgery.

2 Likes

I may have told this story before so I apologise if I have.

Many years ago a work mate of mine came up to me and said another workmate’s (Ashley was his name) rug was looking a bit ruffled. I thought he was talking poopy but next time I saw him I tried to have a good look but for the life of me I couldn’t pick it was fake. Anyway a few days later we were in a meeting and Ashley was sitting beside another work mate who just happened called Martin. So the original rug spotter yelled out “look! It’s Ashley and Martin”. Well poor old Ash went bright red and the following Monday his head was completely nude.

To this day I never would have picked that one.

11 Likes

New teeth are a much better option

New knees and hips are also more practical

And those little blue pills are very handy.

1 Like

I herniated the disc between L5_S1. Nothing worked until surgery.

I’m telling you, 5 minutes after waking up I felt good enough to jumping foot claps. You know when you jump and clap your feet? Like that.

Instant relief.

1 Like

Think I remember that from the Pascoe Vale RSL Boys Club in 1959

What, herniating a disc?