Getting Old - The 40+ Brigade

Farking 83. Only GF I’ve been to, at 15yo. Watching subsequent triumphs on tele never erased or compensated for that.

1 Like

83 I was at my sister’s kindergarten fete, there was a Hawthorn supporting kid older than me, wearing a yellow skivvy and a brown cardigan. Say no more.

1984 Dad and I went. When the ball goes out of bounds roughly in the pocket fairly late in the quarter with Vander in tow, there’s a little kid with his chin on the white painted metal pickets. That was me. 1985 we were cocky and had every reason to be, guys like Tony Elshaug were outstanding that year. I remember the 1986 Elimination Final being at friends of my parents in Longwarry one who happened to be a Fitzroy supporter, it ■■■■■■ down all day, what a shitfight that game was. You might say it was also sadly the end of that era.

I still can’t believe Mike Richardson actually threw the ball to Steven Clark who walked into an open goal. Peter Cameron was completely off his head that day.

Oh and I’m 41, dress half my age, my gf was a beauty therapist in her early 20’s, she waxes my ear hairs.

6 Likes

So, with all the hype about peptides on this site over the last couple of years…have any of you 40+ ever used them? Figured if the benefits were true, they’d be suited to average joe more than an athlete.

Eh, Mrs P killed a bloke once doing a cardiac stress test.
(Only temporarily)
It happens.

They do it to real sick people too, they just don’t push that far.

Meh. I’m 48. Strong. Fit. Healthy. And still ridiculously good looking. Kinda like @Deckham… but, better :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I usually have an undocumented mix of peptides for lunch.

(Meat and cheese in the sandwich)

Not yet 40 (35) but did my hamstring pretty badly running between the wickets whilst playing cricket yesterday. I’ve felt like 35 has been a year where my body has slipped into “old ■■■■■■■” mode!

Yep, … you’ve reached the point of mandatory warm up’s and stretching before activity.

Things just aint as supple and raring to go no more Toto.

3 Likes

Turning 50 in April next year.

Overall not in bad shape, I run a 5 or 10k fun run every month, not fast, average 5k in 28 mins, a little over the hour for a 10k

While it’s hard work actually running, it’s a sensation feeling when it’s over, not just at the end of organised runs but the day to day stuff around the streets after work.

Exercise allows me to feel better, eat better & sleep better.

( BTW, currently feeling very old watching the 09 Anzac Day game, Dave Myers looks about 14 )

5 Likes

Good luck with that. I was flying at 50. 1 1/2 hrs a day in the gym 5 days a week, the height of Tipper and the weight of Langford, with fark all fat. Fit and strong as a mallee bull. My GP used to say I was the healthiest 50 yr old he’d ever seen. Then I got to 55 and cancer hit. Got over that, second checkup after the chemo finished, the farker was back. More chemo. Mallee bull was reduced to a stick insect. Got to 58, woke up one morning and couldn’t breathe. Took myself to the hospital, and ended up staying for a week while they got my lungs working again. Had got COPD. So now, not only was I a stick insect, but I couldn’t breathe well enough to exercise anymore. Today I am a short, overweight little dude with a gut. But I’m happy with life. Had a good run early, and whilst my health could be better, my life now is happy and comfortable, with a lovely partner, two dogs, and the freedom to do what I want, within reason. And I follow the greatest football club on earth. Who could want for more.

40 Likes

Had a guy bowling yesterday. He’s 46 and kept complaining that he just couldn’t loosen up his leg muscles. Bowled 7 overs at military medium and that was it (limit is 8, but he couldn’t manage that).

Sported the Harry Highpants look admirably.

2 Likes

What a prick cancer is, I can appreciate you getting through that. My Dad is 74, still going but got bowel cancer aged 60 odd. Previous to that, he’d had a great constitution, exercised, grew up a farm boy, so he’d been busy and active all his life (unlike his son). The reduction of his bowel changed a lot of things, still enjoys a good drop of red but tends to fast, sensible diet, keeps on top of his weight and has regular check ups. It’s the mental game that’s hard for a bloke of his vintage, hormones such as more aestrogen increase in males as we get older too, so more emotional. The cancer probably curbed the last few years of his career, which was pretty much his identity. Life reinvention is harder for some than it is for others.

As a side note, I feel pretty damn good at 41 and for all the worthy qualms in this thread, feel that those of us of a certain age our brain is more than likely around its peak, I suffer far less anxiety than when I was in my twenties and give way less ■■■■■ about ridiculous stuff and the superfluous I once may have cared for. An old friend of mine is a high functioning alcoholic who deep down yearns to still be in her 20’s, it’s a bit sad at times but I feel glad to not have that desire and just be in the present.

7 Likes

Lol.
As if we needed reminding that he’s a tough bugger.

Edit: No, really.

2 Likes

Wow. Even more amazed at your attitude :pray:t3:

This is a funny thread.

I had one of those free check-ups the Gov kindly provides once you reach an age. Anyway, not going to go into details but they are a good idea. Add a calcium score check if you can.

Interestingly, he also tested for testosterone levels. Turns out that a lot of those conditions described above are influenced by testosterone. My levels were lower than what is expected so he prescribed supplementation. Long story short, I now feel farking great and my testosterone is now back to where it was as a 30yo.

Don’t get me wrong, exercise recovery still takes longer and things still ache but you feel better and feel more energetic.

2 Likes

It all makes sense.

Diggers starts on TRT and gets way more argumentative. The old roid rage!

4 Likes

They don’t give you that much.

Surely you stockpile it for gym days?

Doesn’t work like that.

Did you get a tonic for Mrs Diggers as well ?