Getting Old - The 40+ Brigade

Mrs diggers’ privacy is to be respected.

1 Like

This thread reminds me of this:

“…at our meetings (of old friends) the tale of my acquaintances commonly is: I cannot eat, I cannot drink; the pleasures of youth and love are fled away: there was a good time once, but now that is gone, and life is no longer life. Some complain of the slights which are put upon them by relations, and they will tell you sadly of how many evils their old age is the cause.”

This was reportedly said by Cephalus to Socrates, in Plato’s Republic, written about 380 BC.

4 Likes

You tell Cephalus to shut his cake shute.

1 Like

Misspelling there, surely?

Actually I was reading about the fella a couple of nights ago, comparing the soul to the tuning of an instrument.
I reckon Python had it right.
They all sounded ■■■■■■ to me.

These were what his friends said. His own thoughts were:

"The truth is, Socrates, that these regrets, and also the complaints about relations, are to be attributed to the same cause, which is not old age, but men’s characters and tempers; for he who is of a calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition, youth and age are equally a burden. "

And he also protected the privacy of Mrs Cephalus so he says to shut yer clams.

6 Likes

I’m 44 and have been bald since I was about 25. So everytime I look in the mirror I feel I haven’t aged for 20 years. #fountainofmiddleage

Quality thread.

9 Likes

Turning 40 early next year. I actually had a bit of a wake up when I turned 39 earlier this year and changed my lifestyle around a bit. Was in the worst shape I’ve ever been in. Embarrassingly so. I’m back at the gym at least three times a week and taking it more seriously than at any other stage. I run 3 times a week and actually enjoy it for the first time in my life. I’ve gotten things out of my diet that we’re causing me problems and I finally quit cigarettes properly. Still like a drink and probably overindulge in that too often. I’ve dropped 23kgs in the last 9 months and probably have another 5 to go to get back to the shape I was in back in my 20s. My fitness is probably as good as it has ever been. I’ve taken up cricket again and seem to be able to cover the ground faster than some of the younger guys in the side.

I’m sure I’ll end up giving the red wine away at some stage if it starts interfering in my motivation the next day. One thing I’ve come to realise is that you have to keep moving. A combination of lifting and puffing yourself out. The days of sitting on my backside, eating a large pizza, drinking a dozen beers at the same time and still being in decent shape to chase the ladies are far, far behind me.

19 Likes

Speaking of the bald, when did you first realise your hair was on the way ou? I was 21 when it could no longer be denied. Got away with it for a couple more years as the ‘London Beat’ hairstyle was still in favour but had to go for the 3mm crop around 94. Actually walked in/out of the barber shop several times because once the wig is gone, that’s it.
Funny thing was afterwards, it felt great. Like the lie I had been concealing was now revealed for all to see. A kind of emancipation. Lucky too as my dial is a good shape for shaving.

Having said all that, if a miracle occurs and science works out an affordable + effective way to restore the wig to its former glory, I’d do it in a heartbeat but would go for Kenny Rogers’ hair this time.

Who wouldn’t?

2 Likes

It’s the best wig of the 20th century. Better than Price’s around Purple Rain, better than Gary Ayres of the late 80’s. Even better than Paul McDermott’s.

Thanks fark there’s very little chance of me going bald. I’ve got a weird lid at the top. If it happens it will be the universe punishing me for laughing at aging mates who turn up to things at night with a hat on.

1 Like

Me too. Hung enough crap on mates who’ve become chrome domes.

And coming from a family where the maternal line males were all early-onset desert heads, I consider myself a little fortunate.

Still go the No. 2 though.

1 Like

My hairline began receding at around 20 and I thought… here we fkn go. Then it stopped receding. I have a full head of luxurious hair, it just starts further up than it used to.

Weird.

2 Likes

I reckon I was about 20. I bowled about 15 overs in cricket and then later I showered and went to brush my hair. It was like I had used a wire brush to do it. That was my uh oh moment.

I’ve been lucky as it has never worried me. I shave it with a razor and the only time it looks poxy is if I let it grow for more than a couple of weeks. It has been fun watching my more vain friends lose theirs over time after all the sledging I copped.

2 Likes

I copped a lot of abuse from my sisters on the weekend for still having some brown in my hair. Certainly doesn’t look like it when the barber isat work with the clippers.

I’ve never bothered with Grecian 2000 or the like…unlike my late brother.

I have plenty of white/grey off cuts in reasonable lengths every month or so if anyone needs a rug top up.

1 Like

I’m at the point where I wish the salt would overtake the pepper.

Grey hair I can handle, grey streaks in a full beard look kinda strange.

I’m happy to say that I’ve still got the full head’s worth. Unlike my two brothers, one of whom still has fair coverage but very this, and the other of whom lost most of his in his 20s and wisely opted for the buzz cut on what was left.

Also one of the extremely few good things about getting old for a heavily-bearded bloke like me is that the whiskers go white or light grey, so that even though I still have substantial regrowth by early afternoon, I don’t have 5 o’clock shadow.

1 Like

My dad (RIP) went bald around 35 so I was a tad nervous. Instead I went grey at the same age. Starting to thin a little up top but giving it the old buzzcut 6 months of the year helps. I promised I would never be the one to fight grey or hair loss so its good to get all the tips above on going the shave once the inevitable happens…

If only the same were true with shoulder hair going grey.

3 Likes