GF entertainment

Tom Jones & Ed Sheeran (plus token Mike Brady appearance)

Not sure how I feel about this

The usual crap then?

What's an Ed Sheeran?

And that’s why this comp is just not going to get much better than it currently is…

Tom Jones.  Sigh.  It's like the AFL Commission thought to themselves "You know, the Meatloaf thing didn't work out so well.  He was obviously not old or irrelevant enough.  Well, we won't make THAT mistake next time..."

What's an Ed Sheeran?

All sounds like (a) football to me, to me

Tom Jones is still a decent singer though, Meatloaf past his prime about 30 years ago.  Yeah but he is irrelevant to the modern crowd so it is a strange decision.  Maybe most modern singers see it as a death knell to sing at the GF?  It is Jimmy Barnes 30th year anniversary, they could get him to screech out some excuse for a song.

What's an Ed Sheeran?

All sounds like (a) football to me, to me

Or a kiwi explaining what he is doing when he is shaving his head.

The usual crap then?

you mean, the not unusual crap then?

AFL execs really need to stop watching the Superbowl.

Here's how I do it
12pm Legends game with retired blokes from the competing sides plus a couple of token celebs
2pm Wheel out Mike Brady to do Up There Cazaly and One Day In September
2:15pm The current Miss Australia brings out the premiership cup
2:20pm Retiring players plus Hall of Fame inductees on the back of utes waving for a bit
2:30pm Wheel out Mark Seymour to do Holy Grail
2:35pm Teams run out, release a few hundred thousand balloons in their colours
2:40pm Wheel out Julie Anthony to do the national anthem
2:45pm Centre bounce

Just do that every year

Here's how I do it
12pm Legends game with retired blokes from the competing sides plus a couple of token celebs
2:20pm Retiring players plus Hall of Fame inductees on the back of utes waving for a bit

Just do that every year

Needs More Lionel Richie.

Seriously.

Here's how I do it

Just do that every year

Mine

11am VFL GF

Post match blah
2:30pm ALF GF

Post match blah
done

Oh and fob off with the national anthem, it's a freakin AFL GF not a national sporting colours thing.

Here's how I do it

Just do that every year

Seriously dude!
They need to start LEARNING from the Super Bowl rather than using it is a pissup junkit. Whatever we are serving up is not Super Bowl material. Heck, what we serve up on GF day doesn't even match your typical typical regular season NFL game.
The game has regressed so much, that it just isn't good enough on its own.
You're idea of events could work as a 'one off' event every ten years. But they need to come up with a new way of sorting out the entertainment.

Here's how I do it

Just do that every year

Mine

11am VFL GF

Post match blah
2:30pm ALF GF

Post match blah
done

11am crack the first one

11:01-1:59 sweepstakes, bets etc.

2:00 turn the TV on.

2:43 turn the sound up.

2:45 1st bounce

I've never got the impression the pre-match is for actual footy fans - equivalent of mick Molloy & Sam Lane QC talking strained, rehearsed crap pre-Saturday night games.

Here's how I do it

Just do that every year

Seriously dude!
They need to start LEARNING from the Super Bowl rather than using it is a pissup junkit. Whatever we are serving up is not Super Bowl material. Heck, what we serve up on GF day doesn't even match your typical typical regular season NFL game.
The game has regressed so much, that it just isn't good enough on its own.
You're idea of events could work as a 'one off' event every ten years. But they need to come up with a new way of sorting out the entertainment.

You know what's like the superbowl?

The superbowl.

If you want to watch that, then watch that.

Hate hate hate the fact millions of dollars of members' money is spent on this. Never going to get close. Waste of time & money.

Seriously dude!

Yeah I know.

The AFL's budget is nowhere near the NFL's. I don't know why they think they have to keep trying to emulate the Superbowl's entertainment.

They should go have a look at the FA Cup final. They don't bother with that sht. Just let the occasion speak for itself.

9 TAC Cup GF

11.30 VFL GF

2.40 AFL GF

The GF isn't about what fans want anymore, it's about what the AFL's corporate guests will find entertaining. They want entertainment, not sport. 

The GF isn't about what fans want anymore, it's about what the AFL's corporate guests will find entertaining. They want entertainment, not sport.

Got it in one.
Any other major professional sporting event is attended by at least 75% of team fans. Our GF? More like 75% corporate with very few members/team fans.
I don't expect fans to end up in the corporate boxes, but keep a large portion of the seated area to members/team fans. The biggest problems are the MCC members. AFL members seems to be relatively split.