GM Footy Manager shortlist - shortlist no more.... Ex-Tiger appointed

Dan Richardson. Son of Barry Richardson. A former player agent who spent 4yrs in Football Operations at Tigers.

1 Like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/essendon-has-poached-richmond-talent-chief-dan-richardson-to-fill-its-vacant-football-operations-role/news-story/9dfa85e7aedbff754eb1a711a98a965b

Sorry … too hard to copy and paste from phone

ESSENDON has poached Richmond talent chief Dan Richardson to fill its vacant football operations post.

Richardson replaces Rob Kerr who departed the Bombers three months ago.

Axed AFL executive Simon Lethlean had been linked to the Dons footy position after being overlooked for the chief executive roles at Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn but did not take part in the process.

Richardson, the son of three-time premiership Tiger Barry Richardson, worked as Richmond’s football talent boss this season in a revamped football department under general manager Neil Balme.

His duties included player contracting, salary cap management, player welfare, list management and recruiting and development of the club’s next generation academy.

The former ESP player agent had been at the club since the start of 2013.

He will start at the Bombers early next year.

The reshaping of Richmond’s football department at the end of last season was seen as a major driver behind the club’s drought-breaking premiership.

4 Likes

Seriously Bitchmond have had one good season after getting gifted the best finals/regular season draw and now we are going to recruit from them after 30 years of ■■■■■?

Seems like Mick Warner could not resist the reference to Lethlean but he did note that he was not part of the Essendon process

5 Likes

Yes and Richardson was demoted from being the #1 to #2 when Balme came in, so we have just promoted him back in charge of a Footy Department where Richmond 12 months ago concluded he was not up to the job

Strange decision

Sorry to show my ignorance but is that a joke or is he in that business? He was such an unlucky footballer I hope life has turned out okay for him.

1 Like

We are cooked. Seriously what the ■■■■.

Could have been a juggle to fit Balme in when he got the virtual chop from the Pies. I don’t think his “demotion” was performance based and Balme may have had a wider role.

:sob:

oh bobby sherma is typing

2 Likes

That Old Xaverian link:

Richardson also has a strong association with Old Xaverians in the Victorian Amateur Football Association, where he was a six-time premiership player, coach, and now a life member.

(http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-02-25/richardson-appointed-as-general-manager-of-football)

2 Likes

Opening the door for lethlean?

1 Like

A bozo says above “sorry to show my ignorance”, wow that should include most of the clueless imbeciles on this thread. What’s the opposite of rhodes scholar?

1 Like

Just a guess, I reckon it’s someone who is not a Rhodes scholar.

8 Likes

Tony about is a Rhodes scholar and he eats whole raw onions.

1 Like

And Balme was sacked from his job, essentially, before getting the Tigers one.

1 Like

Article would’ve been no different if this paragraph was omitted.

“Person that didn’t apply the job didn’t get it”

4 Likes

A fhootpaths scholar?

6 Likes

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce, Dan Richardson, has been appointed the General Manager of Football.

Richardson joins the Bombers from the Richmond Football Club where he held the positions of GM of Football and GM of Football Talent over the past five seasons.

Richardson brings a wealth of experience and knowledge through his time with the tigers, and more than a decade with Elite Sports Properties (now TLA), where he was an Associate Director and ran the company’s football division.

CEO, Xavier Campbell, said Richardson’s appointment was a fantastic result for the entire Club.

“We are thrilled to announce Dan as our new General Manager of Football,” Campbell said.

"The recruitment panel of Chairman, Lindsay Tanner, General Manager, People & Culture, Lisa Lawry and myself were extremely impressed with Dan through what ended up being a comprehensive process.”

“We believe Dan’s straight up approach, core values, and strong football knowledge make him the right person to lead our football department, and more broadly we feel he will be a great addition to our entire Club.”

“Dan is incredibly well respected across the football industry, and he brings significant experience and knowledge from his time with Richmond and ESP.”

“Dan played a pivotal role in driving Richmond’s football department forward, helping them secure their first premiership in over 30 years, and as a Club we are excited for him to bring his experience and success and share it with our coaches, players and staff.”

"Dan will work closely with our coaches and players to continue to drive our high performance culture, and I’m confident his fresh set of eyes will help us innovate and grow as we continue the hard work towards our goal of establishing a period of success.”

Richardson said the opportunity to join Essendon is an exciting prospect.

“I would like to thank the Richmond Football Club, in particular the board led by Peggy O’Neill, Brendon Gale, Neil Balme, Blair Hartley, Damian Hardwick, Trent Cotchin and the playing group, who I have learned so much from over the past five years,” Richardson said.

“Career decisions are always difficult to make, and this has certainly been one of those occasions.”

“The opportunity for my ongoing professional development presented by Xavier and the Essendon Football Club was compelling, and I am looking forward to this exciting new challenge.”

from EFC website…

“Essendon is heading in a positive direction on and off the field, and I look forward to getting down to business and helping them build on the strong foundations they have established in recent years.”

Richardson will officially start as the GM of Football on 8th January, 2018.

4 Likes