GM Footy Manager shortlist - shortlist no more.... Ex-Tiger appointed

Balme didn’t clean up Big Nick…that was Laurie Fowler.

Balme sniped Geoff Southby, and then administered some overdue justice to Vin Waite.

I’ve got a real soft spot for Balmey. Good operator and success tends to follow him

4 Likes

Random Balmey army jokes to appear in 3, 2, 1…

Who told you to put the Balme on… ?Nobody know what a Balme gonna do…

4 Likes

I am sure I saw a guy standing on the footpath on Punt rd on Friday afternoon with a half empty cardboard box under one arm and a red and black sherrin under the other. Must have been Dan Richardson waiting for a Uber.

1 Like

Someone who receives a scholarship on merit, rather than for their potential to influence international politics in British favour??

3 Likes

No need for the fat jokes

But it was appreciated anyway.

4 Likes

Dons targeted Richardson
Conor Walsh December 12, 2017 11:26 AM

Essendon Football Club CEO Xavier Campbell says the Bombers are “very lucky” to have appointed Dan Richardson as their new General Manager of Football.

Richardson enters The Hangar after spending nearly five years at Richmond including this year’s drought-breaking premiership season.

“Dan was someone we’d targeted,” Campbell told SEN on Monday night.

“Obviously he’s had a pretty successful career at the Tigers and more broadly as a sports administrator and player manager.”

Campbell said Richardson’s appointment was yet another step towards ensuring the club can launch a strong premiership assault in the near future.

“I’ve known Dan for a decent period of time now and watched him from afar, so we’re very lucky to get the position to add someone of his quality and calibre to the football club in 2018,” he said.

“It does feel like we’ve certainly got the key spots to a point where it’s put us in a position to really challenge now.”

The CEO also spoke about his upcoming meeting with coach John Worsfold in February, in which the two will discuss Worsfold’s future at the club.

Campbell was impressed with the coach’s first two years at Essendon after walking into a difficult job for the club’s disrupted 2016 season, and said the contract talks had only been delayed due to the pair’s busy schedule.

“He was really focussed on coaching and bringing that group together, and we’ve been focussed on broader club initiatives off field,” Campbell said.

“I feel very comfortable with the work that John and his coaching group have done, so I look forward to that discussion early next year.”

Campbell said the pre-season was “going really well” and that the club’s exciting trio of recruits – Jake Stringer, Adam Saad and Devon Smith – had all been impressive on the track.

“I know Jake’s had an immediate impact already, Adam’s been fantastic and Devon definitely adds something different to what we’ve got running through our midfield,” he said.

“All in all, we’re really comfortable (with) where things are at, but we know we’ve got a lot of hard work in front of us.”

More By Conor Walsh

1 Like

Richardson to be interviewed on SEN today at 11 am.

1 Like

He was late and didnt get to say much, except there is to be a vote for the leadership group “later in the preseason”

That’s always a good sign for a General Manager…

2 Likes

Geez BD, nice sleuthing. But don’t you go dredging up those posts where I said Lauchie Dalgleish was gonna be a superstar.

1 Like

Promise HH, I won’t.

ooops what fell out of my pocket?

Off to an auspicious start …

Why would we care if he is late to a radio interview on a radio station we all hate and none of us listen to.

If he was dealing with an unexpected important issue at the club, then I’m more than happy for him to deal with that and be late to a banal radio interview.

1 Like

Yes, … not exactly serious there …

1 Like

Well use the sarcastica font next time.

1 Like

Wait - was that instruction sarcasm in non-sarcasm font making it extra sarcastic?

Delist.

1 Like

if X think he’s the man for the job, then so do i.

in X we trust.