Golden Age of Video Games 1978-1982 - Top Ten

I have a friend who can do that complete finger flicking, no wonder his wife is always so happy :thinking:

2 Likes

I thought about all time and SFII would be up there, but we could be doing this for a long time, maybe best Arcade of the 90’s, although MK and Daytona would give it a run.

2 Likes

Xevious was my number 10, the graphics for a 1982 game were outstanding that gave that metallic 3d look.

I would have Bomb Jack in my top 10 but realised that was 1983

1 Like

Dig Dug and Kangaroo nice choices, Kangaroo under rated, good game!

River Patrol is another and yes as mentioned Frogger, see so many good games from this time

I’ve got all of these on a cocktail arcade machine, and honestly the game I play 90% of the time is 10 Yard Fight.
It’s amazing that Japan turned what’s a pretty complicated sport into something basic, kind of realistic, and very playable.

Having said that, Qix is the game that got me the ‘it’s four o’clock in the morning!’ shout from the bedroom.
Oops.

Oh, and I’ve decided Gyruss is my number ten if it fits the timeline.

5 Likes

Where did you pick one of those up?

http://www.pinballking.com.au/arcade.html

2 Likes

The Minister for Finance and Recreation just refuses to see the merit of one of those machines…

3 Likes

Sadly my wife just informed me I was not allowed to buy one of these. I should have stayed single.

2 Likes

Of course it’s an extravagance, but I don’t have many.
I don’t buy clothes…alright, I do, but from Kmart, and Rivers.

You might want to check if the Minister has any designer handbags and such and say, well…?

Edit: also, I coveted one for years before I actually bought it, so it wasn’t a (ha!) whim.

1 Like

Yep - 10 yard fight was one of my favourites at 10/4 (remember the arcade on Swanston st).

Does anyone remember the name of the game where you just had a moving target on the screen & you had to shoot gangsters - 1920’s style? That was another that got a lot of 20cs out of me.

Galaga
Moon Patrol
Elevator Action
Hyper Olympic
Gaunlet
Choplifter
Commando
Falcon Patrol
Nato Commander

1 Like

10 yard fight Yes! and QIX can split the QIX for douple bonus

1 Like

1942 Epic and some great games in there, a couple outside 1982 but still Golden age like Elevator action, Hyper Olympic

2 Likes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
WWF Wrestlefest
The Simpsons
Bubble Bobble

4 Likes

Was it an EM game electromechanical, one I remember it had a hologram for the boss used to freak me out this cowboy would raise up and you had to shoot it before it shot you.

You are too young go away :joy: Bubble Bobble classic though but after 1982

1 Like

Spent my youth in dark seedy gaming halls before the world went all PC!

1 Like

Used to play tmnt and wrestlefest at the huge Video Ezy on Tooronga Rd, Malvern

A great time and education, I would round up the cordial bottles in the neighbourhood on my billy cart, take them to the shop cash each one in for 20 cents, ride my BMX to the arcade, play the games mentioned. Ride back to the shop, jump the fence grab the bottles I cashed in and recash them in the next day :laughing:

3 Likes