Golf and related musings

I’m just not that interested in it. I do find the politics problematic, but the main issue is that it just isn’t compelling to watch. And I think most of the players are tools.

I live like 10 minutes from it but I have never played it either. I keep making plans to do so, but I feel like they are always having events or outings. If I had more time to play I’d actually consider joining.

1 Like

I suspect it’ll have a bigger following in Australia after this weekend.

Think there was some similar trepidation on the concept of Gather Round. If Cam and the Aussie cohort can be in amongst it this weekend, I think this has the potential to be a major sporting event here. Aside from the odd Presidents Cup, this country is crying out for a decent golf tourney.

2 Likes

Sold over 75k tickets for the event with many coming from overseas or interstate. City has been packed all week and accommodation booked out. Massive interest for it here and with the expected great weather I’m hoping it’s a good event.

1 Like

Yes- played there about 4 weeks ago.
Hadn’t played it for many years and was hoping the course would be pretty decent.
Unfortunately left us underwhelmed.
Pro shop and club house pretty ordinary.
Won’t be going back in a hurry.

1 Like

Telecast on 7 right now

Had a bit of a gander on the TV this afternoon.

Bizarre iteration of the game of golf. Like some Americanized / Red Bull / T20 version of golf - all the prestige and class of the game completely gone. And it kind of looks like the players don’t really care and are just collecting cheques but I guess it is only day 1.

Amazing turn out in Adelaide. Goes to show how neglected Australia has been in world golf.

Oh hell yeah we have been starved a quality golf competitions. Well done to Adelaide and Grange for getting this event. Already regretting not getting tix. Regardless of the formate and lack of prestige, I’m already very interested when I didn’t really give two ■■■■■ about LIV beforehand.

Every chance that the sheer crowd numbers get LIV down here twice next season, I think. And while the PGA Tour solely play within Northern America, this is LIVs best chance to convert a few.

I guess in that sense I can’t be too hard on it, or Cam, for wanting to play in his home country. Shame about the format and the politics.

it’s really strange to watch. like a 6 hour youtube compilation of “the most ok shots from 2019”

1 Like

At least LIV brings tournament golf to Australia unlike the PGA Tour who does nothing for Australia - Even the European event has co-sanctioned tournaments in Australia and prizemoney which can help you get a card on their tour.

3 Likes

Awesome day yesterday. Seriously good setup. I paid $35 for a ground pass when Tix were first released. You’d walk down a few holes and there’s global superstars everywhere, very cool. My highlight was Ian Poulter side stage at Fisher, wearing a bucket hat drinking a white claw, doing the ‘ride them’ cowboy dance in front of about 30k people.

8 Likes

Know a few that went yesterday and said it was the greatest sporting event they have attended and that includes things like AFL Grand finals. A full day of entertainment and plenty of activities for kids. The players being so accessible and chatting to fans throughout the day. 23 degrees and not a cloud in the sky today and warmer tomorrow so should see some excellent crowds

6 Likes

I think you mean “greatest sports entertainment event”?

1 Like

An Aus event to start the LIV season Ala the Grand Prix of old would do wonders for their tour. Reckon they would’ve had 1000 over 3 days in Mexico to start the season.

Norman indicated that even though Adelaide has a 4 year contract he is unsure of dates just yet but it could become the season opener. He did also say that there possibly will be 2 events in Australia with back to back events a possibility. Everyone I know who has attended so far will definitely return next year

Adelaide first up would be huge for them. Crowds have been amazing and generated genuine interest in LIV. Think they’d be mad to not open with Adelaide next year.

I’d love to see a sand belt course get a second Aus event towards back end next season.

I edited my post above but yes Norman said the opener could be a possibility and that back to back tournaments in Australia makes the most sense. I’d imagine Queensland will get the event although I’d expect others apart from Victoria to bid

1 Like

Signing people’s foreheads

Leave me out of that circus

Lasted 15 minutes

Team this team that

Enjoy if you like that sort of Americanism but not for me!

americanism is making the pga entirely american-centric and ■■■■ the rest of the world

2 Likes