Golf and related musings

Speith's collapse was unbelievable.

He seemed to get a bit of the rights late day 3 and they returned on day 4.

That said, he played 70 odd holes of unbelievable golf as well.

It’s a tough game.

And like all sporting endeavors, you need to be strong above the shoulders when the shitts on the line.

Mickelson/Norman level fail.

Mickleson does have 3 green jackets.
He also has a British Open and a PGA.
Spieth did choke today but unlike Norman he has actually won The Masters and at 22 plenty of time on his side to win more.

Speith's collapse was unbelievable.

He seemed to get a bit of the rights late day 3 and they returned on day 4.

That said, he played 70 odd holes of unbelievable golf as well.

It’s a tough game.

And like all sporting endeavors, you need to be strong above the shoulders when the shitts on the line.

Mickelson/Norman level fail.

Yes and no.

The fact that he steadied and stayed in contention says he was pretty strong above the shoulders.

Sometimes you put a bad swing on it. And sometimes you pay a massive price.

It’s so easy to pot guys for a choke, but the only measure of his mental strength is how he recovers from it into the future. Sure his thinking was messy for about 10 minutes (the second into the water), but whose thinking wouldn’t have been at that stage?

I can’t even imagine how footballers would cope if one mistake over 16 hours of otherworldly level play could become the career defining moment.

He really only hit one ‘choke shot’.

The first one would have been safe had it landed 1 or 2 feet further up the hill. He would have made a 3 and won the tournament.

The shot into the bunker wasn’t great but its only natural that he overshot given the previous two shots (and he made a pretty incredible up and down out of that bunker).

That really only leaves him with one choke shot. That second approach where he barely made the water. That was above the shoulders, pure and simple. A total choke where the moment got inside his head.

One terrible shot under extreme pressure. One. Out of of 286 that he hit over 4 days, the vast vast majority of which were perfect.

And that’s the only shot he’ll be remembered for.

Tough game.

Won’t even come close to the shot he’s remembered for.
Kid can seriously play.

Won't even come close to the shot he's remembered for. Kid can seriously play.

I meant for this tournament (and perhaps a while afterwards). I agree he’s a superstar and he won’t be remembered for this in 20 years, but for the rest of this season I bet he’ll get asked about it almost every day.

Do people think the Shark may have had as much talent, game and swagger before his first ‘choke’? I would’ve imagined he was a pretty confident and charismatic lad without a care in the world…

All players choke. The best players choke less

Do people think the Shark may have had as much talent, game and swagger before his first 'choke'? I would've imagined he was a pretty confident and charismatic lad without a care in the world..

The shark is an extreme and amazing case. He had some incredible bad luck that compounded the wobbles he got down the back nine on Sunday in us majors. But he kept coming back and putting himself in contention time and again. And winning everywhere else.

His mind would make an amazing psych study!

96 masters though…oh dear. He was still crossing until he spun it back off the front of 9. Then it all went wrong.

Make par there (And it pitched pretty close iirc) and faldo never gets a sniff.

As for Speith, you would think with the resources available these days he’d bounce back quickly. But it can do strange things. We’d all assumed that Rory was going to become unbeatable around Augusta and that hasn’t quite turned out…

This is stupid but made me laugh.

Jason Day leads by 2 at 9 under after the first round of the players - tying the course record at sawgrass. He had birdie putts on all 18 holes!

You shoot a 65 and you’re not in front. Golf is a ■■■■■.

Just incredible how good he is… Currently easing into a commanding lead finishing his second round on the 3rd morning before all the other leaders are even out of bed… Currently bogey free 15 under and 4 ahead after 17…If he keeps this score it’s a 36 hole record tipping none other than Gregory Norman.

Watched Day this morning- his play is simply unbelievable. He’s in another league.

Spieth is in horrible form at the moment and along with Mickleson will probably miss the cut.

I haven’t watched many golf press conferences, but has Jason day mentioned anything beside Jason day yet?

I haven't watched many golf press conferences, but has Jason day mentioned anything beside Jason day yet?

Yes Tiger… Did you even watch the press conference. Everyone seems to want to talk about his relationship with Tiger…

I kinda get what you’re saying but he was playing himself out there. None of his playing partners ever challenged him or put up any game worth discussing…

He’s the number one in the world and playing in his own stratosphere… And the media are itching to see who will be the next big thing. Some think he may pull away from Spieth and McIlroy… That’s what the press want to talk about and Jason appears very hungry for more.

I see snippets and he always seems to be talking himself up a fair but. Do you really need to when your number 1?
I know him and tigger are pretty cosy. Just hope he keeps rubbing off on him in the right way.

British Open has started, for those that are interested and/or lucky enough to have the time to enjoy it.
Not too many away yet.
Aussie Leishmann in second place, 2 under after 7.

http://www.theopen.com/Leaderboard#!/traditional

Edit: Sorry about ‘my leaderboard’ :wink:

Had $50 on S Hend to finish Top 20…1st round was way too easy the weather will determine the winner early starters second round to benefit!

Phil Mickelson named in insider trading probe

PHIL Mickelson is in the water, and it’s hot.

The five-time major-champion golfer was named in a federal insider-trading lawsuit overnight, claiming that he made nearly $US1 million ($1.4 million) from non-public information in the trading of Dean Foods stock, The New York Post reports.

The complaint was filed by the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York. Because the case is in civil court, the SEC is seeking “all ill-gotten gains in the form of illicit trading profits.”

Also named in the suit is Billy Walters, who is a well-known sports gambler and allegedly passed on the information to Mickelson in July of 2012.

Mickelson allegedly made almost $US1 million after getting the insider trading tip from Walters and then used some of the money to pay back Walters, to whom he allegedly owed money.

Why am I not surprised… Phil Mickleson is an acquired taste… one I’ve never acquired.

Doesn’t seem to be bothering him.
He annoyed me a couple of years ago when he smashed Scott in the last round, but…that was pretty good golf last night.
The annoyance is receding.

He’s still annoying but yeah, capable of a good round. I watched him at the last major and he showed some good form but wasn’t close to putting together 4 good days. Maybe this is the week.

Pity the Phil Mickelson story is two months old - Whatever rocks your boat - It’s always an excellent result when you shoot 8 under at the British Open.