Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

I’ve got 0 idea what people are arguing about.

The goal IS to win a flag. Anything outside of that is not the goal. This is not opinion, it’s fact, for every club in the afl.

Every club exists for this sole purpose. Except Carlton, who exist for our amusement.

7 Likes

All I am really saying is that with injury’s to Hurly and Hooker may mean opportunity’s arise for some younger players. IF these players come in and show some promise I see it as a positive for the future. They will not be as good as Hurly and Hooker, and we may struggle to play finals because of it. But its another factor to consider when defining our season.

My main point again been that making finals or not does not define a season. Im not saying its not a factor at all but rather that there are far more things to consider along with it.

2 Likes

Well you are thinking in general terms I am thinking broader.
My main point been that making finals this year is only one factor to consider, not the one and only defining factor.

I totally agree with you about the start of the season (and the last one for that matter) we where way underdone and it was most certainly a more defining factor that the change in game plan. Its a big cross in the negative column, and a big factor in defining our season.

But a tick in the other column is our new defensive structure. My example may not have been a great one but what I mean is that sometimes you need to make one step back to make to steps fwd. Getting to the top is not always just lineal progression.

Winning in general is a good thing, but sometimes short term pain can lead to long term gain.

1 Like

More of a discussion than an argument, we all want the same thing. Just have a difference of opinion on how we can get there. Its good to challenge each others views.

Oh I agree with the gist of what you’re saying

What I don’t get is this paranoia that we have to win it all this year or we’re cooked; or that if we try and make finals this year it could lead to a step back.

We’ve got a total of 4 good players 28 or over - and a small handful of useful, but replaceable role players.
We’re not going to hit a Ross Lyon style cliff, we actually couldn’t, even if we tried. (Ie if we were stuffing Myers, Bags, ZLarke and co into the 22 at every opportunity - but even then, there’s just no way they’re going to be more than replaceable role players at this point)

To me, Hooker looks like the only one really close to the end.

1 Like

Reckon he and Hurley probably have less time left than everyone expects.

Hopefully we can do a hawks-style raid and get our own Gibson/lake when it’s time.

https://www.3aw.com.au/its-a-part-of-life-i-miss-awfully-worsfold-shares-the-struggle-of-living-apart-from-his-family/?fbclid=IwAR3dSvWn2R6MKCjLzCwi6MHvG7onuPmy83_EIfyCZ8j8KIuSggtcUmrj2yY

Huge commitment by Woosha to the club.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if 2020 was Hooker’s last.
I think Hurley has another year after that. But who knows, can’t predict too much into the future with guys around that 30yo mark

I was impressed with Woosha after reading the article by Mick, where we specially trained for North’s new game plan and really focussed on contests. Big tick.

That’s what has been missing in his coaching. Rather than blindly going in just thinking our game plan will work.

Now we are going in off a 6-day break to interstate, and playing a good side. Let’s see what he learned from West Coast game in terms of preparation. Let’s see what he has for Adelaide and their game plan.

Essenmond

1 Like

Are your thoughts still the same

So it took less than 24 hours for the usual types to complain about an aspect of our game that wasn’t working and assert that it must be part of Woosha’s insane game plan that makes nooooo sense.

Or, you know, it could be that the success or failure of tactics in games is actually due to a range of disparate factors, such as the opposition, skill level, fatigue, footballers being dumb, the context of the game, etc etc…

3 Likes

Last 6 weeks has show that he does have the players. But it is only 6 weeks

And the fact they are removing some of the assistants suggests that the club has seen the light and changes need to be made.

We still are a fair way off but we are at least moving forward.
I did say later on that if he was to stay then the assistants needed to be changed which is happening.

4 Likes

Stop the strawman. Scott never said ‘you can’t change anything’. He said you can change very little given embedded gameplans, preset & pretrained structures etc etc.
Anybody who has ever played any sport whatsoever understands that game day tactics need to be tinkered with depending on your opponent’s strengths and weaknesses. Your opponent has a brilliant backhand return so you won’t keep serving to his backhand.
That doesn’t change what you have trained to do for the past x years. Rather, you need to be aware of your opponent’s strengths and be ready - preset - to counter them. Their game day stuff does have a minor impact, and sometimes that is enough to win a game by a kick or 2.
The laughable bit is the crap on here when we lose with the conclusion ‘the coaches had a bad day’; and then we lose 60% of games - the coaches are incompetent.
Newsflash - teams continually - almost all of them - go on winning and losing streaks. Sometimes lengthy ones. It has almost nothing to do with game day coaching. 99% nothing to do with it.

I agree with you, but the alternative viewpoint (which I have a lot of sympathy for) is that, apart from the game and injury specifics, you could have written the exact same spiel about last season.

2 Likes

Nah Hooks has got another 2 or 3 years, Hurls however ?

We ain’t that far off

1 Like

I think the end may be coming for hooker quite quickly. He was never quick but he is slowing up. I think the days of him being a defender will be done by the end of next season. He might be able to get a season out of himself as a permanent forward though

He is starting to struggle on forwards who are the slightest bit mobile imo

Can still compete and beat the gorillas though

Big ask for Hooks on Brown last nite, Browns a running machine, Hooks was getting leg cramps in the last qtr & reckon he came into the game with back issues.

Time will tell how many years he has left…hope we can send him & Hurls both off with a premiership :wink: