Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

He knows he’ll be spending this Thurs night with the missus after a long layoff… where he’ll be living up to his nickname ‘Woosh’

4 Likes

2013 begs to differ.

waaaaaay too soon DJR

3 Likes

Although we didn’t score (because of Guelfi) that one pure slow build up in the last was just as good as our full tilt fast attack. Not sure why we only went with a slow build up once in a game when it got us inside 50 with ease and maintained complete control.
There is still an obvious confusion to me. Hurley(?) was interviewed after the game and said both McKenna and Saad get our gameplan going with their speed however said we move it too fast at times. How can it be our gameplan yet at the same time too fast?
As for number one defence since round 4, I don’t think that’s accurate as we played two low scoring games caused by rain and a painfully inaccurate game from both sides the game before.

1 Like

No, things have clearly changed over the past few weeks personell for one. Youth has been played.

Clarke comming in to tag.
Parish playing more midfield time.
Change in fwd structure

There have been many changes and I think for the better. Perhaps things have also started to click more with the team I don’t know.

But it’s not just the way one sees it change is clearly there.

2 Likes

Every time I hear Whoosha say “we are just focused on the way we want to play” this guy comes to my mind.

8 Likes

The second kick into the middle wasn’t a bad kick, it was the decision to kick there that was bad, two different issues. The shot on goal came after a gut run through the middle from the backline and his legs were stuffed, you could see it coming a mile away, he isn’t a long kick normally and he is always worse after that sort of running. Someone needed to run towards him for him to short pass to, not run away like they were.

Doesn’t happen very often, perpetuating myths doesn’t help and generally when it does happen it is one person not a whole group of them.

I have been super critical of the coaching group this year. Especially after the start to the season. But I am starting to come around and think we might finally be making some headway on improvement.

I am a bit gunshy in praising the coaching, as we saw this last year and then look what happened. The big difference for me is that there appears to be less individual performance driving our wins and more a team approach, improved systems etc. which is more coaching related than players.

Looking at it our start to the year, in particular Saints and getting reemed by umps in two games we really were average in anyway is all it would take for us to be top 4.

I’m slowly walking back from wanting to drop Woosha off a cliff for 2020.

4 Likes

Don’t do it to yourself.

Before beating Carlton (who our VFL team would beat) and the Hawks we lost 4 out of 5 against Richmond, Sydney, Geelong and Collingwood (robbed on the last one)
Next 5 we have
Eagles (umpires)
GWS (home)
North
Swans (home)
Crows (away)
Need to win 3 as a minimum, non-negotiable. 4 would he ideal but highly unlikely.

I’m starting to come around also but it is still dependent on us making finals and winning one. Anything less is another wasted opportunity.

The things that I didn’t agree with Woosha on were his hesitance to play the youngsters and all the ones I wanted in the side are playing except Ridley and he’s playing more midfield in the VFL so I’m fine with that.

I still have concerns with our consistency in application and our skills are some of the worst in the league but our defense is strong and our midfield is continually improving.

Our skill level is average and our goalkicking is pathetic. Now that is not on Woosha, but certainly on the board and footy department. It needs to be addressed ASAP

8 Likes

I actually think the goalkicking is more to do with where we are having shots from and the amount of pressure we are under when we take them.

I would like to see McKernan lead up the middle of the ground more rather than to the pockets like he seems to do a lot.

I’m not sure whatever happened to the “Cage” as discussed in preseason but it appears we rarely conform to that. I get frustrated with us kicking the ball within 5-10 meters of the goal line and then it getting punched over the line each time.

Anything that provides a chance to set up your zone and lock the ball in your front half is a reasonable option.

You can get a similar outcome from kicking it to the 20 meter zone except the defenders would still have to defend rather than simply punch it over the line.

That Bellchambers mark on the weekend is the first time I can recall when we have actually taken a mark this year.

Yeah broadly the goal line or 3m out isn’t the best option and there’s no doubt an element of blokes over rating their kicking abilities or not quite executing well enough. But ultimately any stop in play that gets a chance to set up a zone is considered a win. It’s interesting that the changes in the kick out rules have actually only seen an increase in scoring from kick outs.

1 Like

and the point about crap shots on goal is 100% spot on but that’s a function of the quality of entries. When we move the footy well and get quality entries, we then get quality shots on goal and convert at a higher efficiency. When our ball movement falls over or a forward structure fails, we get crap entries and crap shots at goal and ■■■■ efficiency.

1 Like

It’s one of the first things you learn, perfect at recess, lunch and after school/weekend, and refine during your teenage years. Everyone wants a goal and the adulation that comes forth.

I’m the Tac cup I would have thought it would be last of anyone’s worries. You come into the big time and it should be innate for 99 pc of draftees.

All mental, if you’re part of a confident, up and about contender it should flow through to every skill.

That’ll be 5 bucks each please.

So the board teach the players how to kick?