Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

Clarko blamed injury for bad performance a few weeks ago. Could you imagine this place if Woosha tried that?

1 Like

Geelong

Round 2 - No changes
Round 3 - 1 change
Round 4 - 1 change
Round 5 - 1 change
Round 6 - 2 changes
Round 7 - 3 changes

= 8 changes in the first 7 rounds. Not a single change to their forward line.

Essendon

Round 2 - 1 change
Round 3 - 3 changes
Round 4 - 4 changes
Round 5 - 3 changes
Round 6 - 2 changes
Round 7 - 2 changes

= 15 changes in first 7 rounds.

Yes, every team has injuries, but we have had a shocking run this season and lacked consistency forward of the ball where we are falling down.

Speaking on 360 earlier this year Scott said this exact thing. Asked about improvement, he mentioned in 2018 they didn’t play consecutive weeks with the same forward structure all year and in 2019 they haven’t missed any games up forward.

You take Tom Hawkins out of Geelong and put a fit Joe Daniher our forward line and do you think it would make a significant difference?

We have other issues but there is an extremely visible break down between midfield and forward that can be attributed at least in part to the number of changes and lack of consistent structure.

7 Likes

Blitz loves an excuse

3 Likes

If Daniher played last week he wouldn’t have been in the forward line.
He’d have been on our left half-back flank getting the ball smacked out of his hands to the boundary, just like everyone else.

Our injuries are a factor.
Our design is a greater one.

5 Likes

Agree. Having Smith, Daniher and Stringer might have helped though.

Logic even more so

I don’t think injuries is an excuse. But riffing on Wims book idea.

Chapter 1. Design a fast paced game style to get the ball in quickly to one of the most exciting forward lines in the comp.

Woosha would have been drooling over this forward line.
Raz Joe Lav
Walla Stringer Begley

With the option of using another KPF to either go tall or move Stringer into the middle.

Chapter 2
Joe is cooked
Begley does his knee
Raz is cooked
Lav is allways injured
The back up KPF’s get injured.

Most weeks the selection committee has this forward line in front of them

Parish Brown Langford
Walla Stringer Bags

We missed the finals by a game last year and will probably repeat that result this year.

You can’t tell me a fit Joe and Raz wouldn’t be at least 1 more win per season. That’s 3 finals campaigns in a row we could have had but for our best two players being injured.

And if wishes were horses beggars would ride.

2 Likes

Especially if they’re reasons to sack the coach.

1 Like

Some must love mediocrity too

For those that continually have a crack at our forwardline I suggest you look elsewhere.

I cant find the most recent stats but I’m confident they are still similar but as you can see our forwards are doing their job its just that we aren’t getting the ball in enough.

These stats below are only up to round four so not a full sample size but they do consider the huge loss to GWS and the following weeks loss to the Saints.

We are ranked currently ranked 11th for inside 50’s.

Continue to blame injuries to forwards if you like but I don’t think it adds up.

By The Numbers: Points Per Inside 50 Round 4

On April 17, 2019 By aflratingscomau

POINTS PER INSIDE 50 FOR

An insight in to a teams forward line efficiency success rate once the ball enters their forward 50 metre arc.

Richmond scored 99pts against Port Adelaide in Round 4, the Tigers recorded 50 Inside 50s and scored at a rate of 1.98 PPI50 (Points Per Inside 50).

For the second consecutive week Essendon are highly ranked, the Bombers scored 112pts against Brisbane at a rate of 1.96 PPI50 in Round 4.

Melbourne recorded the highest number of Inside 50s in Round 4, the Demons scored at a rate of 1.69 PPI50.

Other teams have had far worse injuries than ours. They are part of the game, and the good coaches can handle it. We obviously can’t.

Someone’s going have a good night.

Not giving up on 2019 as a season to make the finals, but given where we are, I have an eye on 2020 and getting ourselves ready to be a top side next year. And that’s what concerns me about this year to date. We are a good way into 2019, and the club is still concerned about us not consistently playing the type of football they want to play. Injuries will affect this. It can obviously affect the final result. But if you are getting better and playing better football then eventually you’ll rise to the top.

We should have progressed in nailing the style down. And we should have the depth to cover the injured players. I don’t know how close the club thinks we are to being that side. And what has stopped us getting there to date. Assuming the game plan is a good one and doable, is it just a matter of needing more time to become a cohesive and disciplined unit? Or is it a lack of players with the discipline to play consistent football?

Importantly, are we going to finish 2019 a better side than 2018?

3 Likes

Hard task. I thought we finished 2018 a very good team. We’re not close at the moment. They need to get it together asap.

1 Like

I actually don’t think the missing forwards are the problem.
Smith is a huge loss.
Luckily for us they introduced the mid-season draft and we were able to cover that with a very similar sort of…hang on…

2 Likes

Can you name a side that has had 0 injuries or suspensions come grand final day ?

Every side has them, its a part of footy, and if you cant find a way to win , and just expect to be able to play one way, your way without said best 22 then you’re fuckes from the get go.
This week without stringer i have 0 faith that this coaching panel will be able to find a way to win .

Also its a catch 22 re injuries, not having faith in anyone else else besides your perceived best 22, cos then you feel as though you have to rush them back in.
You dont get to use not having daniher as an excuse, they rushed him back and put too much on him, thay was their choice.
Smith similar, he missed a chunk of pre season and didnt remote look anywhere near as fit as last year.

And thats the problem with little adaptability and deviation feom what you believe, you cant think or tind new players or ways to win.

Yeah, you should’ve checked.

We are 10th for goals per inside 50. Astonishingly, the top 4 sides for goals per inside 50 are actually… Geelong, Giants, Pies and Eagles. Who’d have thunk it.

We actually average the same amount of inside 50’s per game as Geelong however they average 3 goals a game more than us. The other two that stand out are West Coast, who average less I50’s than us yet 2 goals a game more and even Sydney, who average 3 less I50’s a game yet roughly same amount of goals as us.

You’ll find the round you quoted we had a player kick 7 goals which is an anomaly. It isn’t “up to Round 4”, it’s JUST for Round 4.

2 Likes

yep - just got them from the site, up to round 13

PPI50-F-19-1

But our defence is doing very well 4th best for points against us per inside 50.

PPI50-A-19-1

Nope I can’t and not naive to think that. Hence what I wrote