Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

Seize the d…!

3 Likes

Or as @Darli would say… Seize The Dea.

5 Likes

This is why I love blitz… you can always trust at least one (normally more) individual to be as obscure and easily amused as you.

hehehe…“D”…

and i do mean D

A fish a day!

EFA

1 Like

This Latin phrase is often translated as “seize the day” in English, and it’s used to justify spontaneous behavior in order to make the most of that day. This, however, is not entirely true. The phrase we think we know so well is actually much longer: “ carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero ,” which means “pluck the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.” Thus, the actual phrase does not encourage us to ignore the future, but rather advises us to do as much as we can now for the future.

The phrase first appeared in Roman poet Horace’s Odes Book I , which used agricultural metaphors to urge people to embrace the day. Horace was a follower of Epicureanism, a philosophy taught by Epicurus. It was based on the idea that pleasure is the most important thing in life and is attained through simple living. The phrase “ carpe diem ” was used by Lord Byron in 1817 and was later popularized by the movie The Dead Poets Society . Today, the original meaning of the phrase is long forgotten and encourages people to grab opportunities and live life to the fullest . . . with no regard to the future.

In Horace, the phrase is part of the longer carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero , which can be translated as “Seize the day, put very little trust in tomorrow (the future)”. The ode says that the future is unforeseen and that one should not leave to chance future happenings, but rather one should do all one can today to make one’s own future better. This phrase is usually understood against Horace’s Epicurean background.[6] The meaning of carpe diem as used by Horace is not to ignore the future, but rather not to trust that everything is going to fall into place for you and taking action for the future today.[7]

3 Likes

Epicureans did very, very little planning for the future.

since you mentioned Epicurus, I readily recommend the book:

Travels with Epicurus

A Journey to a Greek Island in Search of an Authentic Life

By: Daniel Klein (https://www.booktopia.com.au/search.ep?author=Daniel%20Klein)

Yep. Chris Daniher for Clarko! Done!

5 Likes

Maybe the other coaches “suggested” he coach from the bench.

1 Like

Epicureans - giants from the land of Urea?

Here is a challenge for Clarko. Get him for our coach. Clarko coaching Essendon and break and re-establish the culture which has weighed players down @ Essendon for nearly twenty years.

There’s a challenge with quite a few side ways anchors.

1 Like

Wasn’t Carpe Diem the motto of Tim Watson’s cleaning business? I think @chris_64 was using it in that sense.

1 Like

Leave my private life out of this, thanks.

The board should have thought of that before taking him on. How much did they think about the consequences. Why did they extend the contract for so many years when BB were already coming out with the fact that he was not the coach for us. They could have given him one year at a time. The board have quite a bit to answer for and really need to grow some balls. Better still, change the board to members who can make the proper decisions to get us winning again and that can stand up to the AFL when needed.

I heard he never even left WA, it’s a cardbord cutout and Skippy sits behind it.

5 Likes

It’s almost like the club just doesn’t listen to us…

1 Like

you’d be worried if they did

3 Likes

Club would’ve been burnt to the ground a dozen times if they did…

… DJR would be reserves coach though.