Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

please elaborate

I thought Sheedy’s removal was relatively well handled. Was never going to be easy to retire a coach who had been there for as long as he was.

Appointment of Hird was fine as well given that Bomba was also appointed to mentor him.

3 Likes

Cough *fishing cough

What was wrong with 6? He was surrounded by the right people. It was the next lot that ■■■■■■ things up.
Having a 2 time premiership coach and 3 time premiership player as a senior assistant was a good move.

1 Like

this is a good side point that I think alot of people miss. no not that blitz or even I should be listened too.

but sometimes obviously coaches can lose objectivity being close to the players.
I think sanderson is the only coach i’ve ever heard come out and say that he relied too heavily on the older named players instead of trusting the whole list, or similar to that.

too many even supporters get lost in this fairytale ideology that oh success can be achieved with the players and people they want, and alot of the time that’s just not the case.

the easiest example of that now is zaka and myers. People believe that success can be achieved with those players, coaches, the club in general, supporters you name it , because their good guys, good essendon people yada yada.

but if you remove yourself from that bubble, and look at it simply there is just no evidence to suggest that those players will drive us to success, but up until 3-4 weeks ago myers was being picked, zaka is now being shuffled around the ground cos they don’t want drop him because again he’s a good lil essendon boy.

another area is obviously injuries. outside the club you don’t know or get told player x is carrying something, all you see is player x struggling onfield.
but again coaches will take that into account and cut said player some slack, but again without that emotional bond, a more objective view can be had that player x isn’t performing and should not be playing.

we have been one of the slowest clubs to adapt to the fact, like it or not football is a results based game. instead we don’t want to hurt players feelings be calling a spade a spade ( no not personal abuse and the like, but if you have a poor game, you should be free to say, you know what you had a shocker).

essendon is literally like the new age of raising kids, where you get a participation award for just showing up.
people want success with players who won’t produce it, they want to give them a pat on the back and applaud them for giving it a try, and then sorta forget about the fact you actually have to win to get a premiership, you don’t just get handed one cos you win 9 or so games a year.

5 Likes

And how are Hawthorn traveling at the moment?

Restless supporters make the board nervous. Another failed season under their watch adds to the angst. Nothing like a prime time embarrassment to further heighten their feelings of doubt on the coach. Yeah, would’ve been happy with the Hawks result but the Eagles was downright embarrassing and showed how far the team have regressed. Feels like a decision to move the coach on has already been made irrespective of what happens Thursday night. As suggested today, the coach’s words yesterday were probably directed at the board. A loss will just reinforce their decision… he’s gone at seasons end.

6 Likes

How many coaches have done good work in their 16th season in charge of an AFL side and beyond? Sheedy got a flag in 2000, Malthouse got the pies flag in 2010 but I can’t think of many others.

Fact remains that most coaches do their best work in the first ten years in charge at AFL level. Clarko has been brilliant but time catches up with everyone. If anything, his trading of Burton for Wingard probably shows that he might be on the downhill already.

He’s a great coach but at this stage of his career he would be a massive risk for us I reckon

1 Like

fair point, can’t really argue with much of that to be honest. As for the bold bit- that was and is still a bizarre decision.

Damn @smj!

I honestly thought you were throwing the lure out.

Lethal must have been close with the Lions?

But your point is pretty decently made.

6 Likes

HaHa. Those Greeks can get a little freaky when given some Ouzo and privacy.

1 Like

How many coaches have coached for 16 years?

1 Like

That is a pretty damning 1.5 minutes of footage… Goddard was all but saying that woosha has no idea how to construct a game plan and he is not getting the best out of the list. Realise there might be some sourness over being dumped last year when he thought he had another season in him… but just sounds like the situation most of us think is happening… may actually be happening.

Woosha was a calm head when it all went batshit in 15/16 but now that we actually want to win football games and be a competitive side… he is nowhere near what we need.

I realise players are all trained on media etc etc… but I think back to some of the player comments made about Hird even when Caro and Co were gunning for him… it was clear the players loved him and wanted to play for him… and it showed on the ground too on match day. There is just no doubt in my mind the players don’t view woosha the same way. I’m sure they respect him and all that… but I just don’t see that same passion.

If we had been courageous and taken massive action in the early rounds… who knows what could have happened. As it stands it seems like we will let this season fizzle out and then make the obvious decision to sack him. Or, even worse, we will rinse and repeat next season.

8 Likes

I’m quite confident John won’t be coaching the club in 2020, prob either fall on his sword at seasons end, or is sacked, not sure if the board would go down the sacking track during the season, other than carlton and north will be looking for a new coach, and possibly alan richardson at st.kilda may also be looking for a new career in 2020, in which case, they may very well sack woosha before the end of the season, as to get a coach in place for pre-season and draft in nov.

Had a quick look at AFL tables… there’s probably 16 coaches all time that have coached 16+ seasons…

Malthouse
Sheedy
McHale
Allan Jeans
Parkin
Barassi
All won flags

More might have - I got bored looking through the list.

Clarkson will be in his 16th season next year.

1 Like

There is a distinct cooling in the upper atmosphere. It feels like perhaps a northerly change is brewing. A vague and subtle deflating Whooshing sound is evident.

My sauces are quite strident. They feel a change in the air.

You heard it first here.

Make of this what you will.

8 Likes

Cerberus is back!?

Since you mentioned Epicurus, I recommend his own work.

Perhaps the best way to read it and the best example of fandom is to consider Diogenes of Oenoanda, who — incredibly— paid for the works of Epicurus to be chiselled into stone. Keep in mind how important his work was considered - this was about 400 years after Epicurus died.

Diogenes of Oenoanda paid to carve a summary of the philosophy of Epicurus onto a portico wall about 80m long (!) in the ancient Greek city of Oenoanda. The inscription was originally about 25,000 words long and filled 260 square meters of wall space.

Now that is a fan! I can’t imagine anyone in 400 years paying to chisel Worsha’s “learnings” into stone. Even though they would be much less than 25,000 words.

2 Likes