Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

What a completely uninspiring press conference. He is stubborn, can’t admit mistakes and lacks passion. Listen to Darcy Parish’s interview carefully, he hints at some coaching flaws.

We’re running out of players to drop

We had a full list to drop after round 2.

We didn’t drop any senior players last year either.

4 Likes

He obviously has to go, we have wasted two seasons now. He has tried and failed to implement a new plan and then reverted to the only style this front running, soft group are comfortable with. It doesn’t hold up against the good teams. We are clearly not fit as we should be and heads should role for that as well. I want some tough love at this club. Someone who is an outsider than can call out and kill a cultural problem. And for Christ sake can we get a head coach that is a great tactician, in a time when the game is its most complicated can we get someone from a highly successful system with an astute football mind. Someone who has definitive views on how the game should be played utilising the best strengths of your list etc…

If Clarkson had this side where would he get us? Longmire, Hardwick, Buckley, hell if Brad Scott has this team how would we be going? Imagine having the discipline and well drilled system of a Richmond with the flair of Fantasia, Shiel, Saad, Mckenna, Tippa, McGrath, Merrett, Smith et all

Imagine developing players instead of stunting them? Imagine the development of Langford, McGrath, Parish, Francis at Sydney or Hawthorn?

1 Like

Nothing surer than Myers and bags in next week.

1 Like

I feel like fitness is a bigger problem than the coach (and culture is a niger problem then both, but that’s for another thread).

Our coaching staff obviously know that their players have to run two ways, have to pressure and harass, tackle in numbers etc etc. But we don’t do it. Which means either there’s a problem with fitness (we can’t do it) or a problem with culture (we’re too lazy to do it)

Bags I will cop but Myers is just too slow for our game and can’t play anywhere but midfield.

His VFL form is irrelevant in my opinion.

1 Like

That’s exactly what we want. Much and all as I hated it, it is a Sheedyesque gesture. It’s saying we don’t give a rats what you think, what you’ve gone through. We’re here to win anyway we can.

2 Likes

As the second half of last season and the recruitment of Shiel the whole club spent the summer drinking its own bath water as highlighted by the JLT insipid and deplorable on field effort against Carlton.

1 Like

Pushed by the afl

Sheedy used to spit on Essendon players, he would stomp on their hands and ground his studs through their skin. He would abuse them for being weak. He would laugh at them. Many in the Essendon hierarchy were horrified at his appointment, the same were horrified after he refused to celebrate the 83 GF loss and instead tore shreds of the club for being “satisfied”. Fire and brimstone ain’t what is used to be, but creating a ruthless winning culture is our number 1 priority. I don’t care if we get a guy that called us drug cheats every time we played them. I don’t care if he whispered stories about off site injection labs as he tucked us in. A ruthless brand of football comes from the head coach, it’s not CEO led, it’s not player led, it’s led by the head coach. Get one that can do that.

23 Likes

Yep. I hate the man deeply but I’m with you.

Than you and Other die hards need to get your heads out of your ■■■■. I don’t care about the fact that he did that on the field. He was a key piece to West Coasts coaching team, getting them to a premiership.

If he is the best man for the job then so be it. I would welcome him with open arms to helping get us off the canvass because what we have now just isn’t working.

1 Like

I have been dead against it also but I’m coming around.

We need some ruthless minds who only want to win leading this club.

2 Likes

Only if we can have a free hit at him before he starts

9 Likes

Plenty of players have sledged others on the field in the heat of the game and then afterwards have had a few beers together with players from opposition clubs and move on. It’s a team sport. The fans that need to get over it.

1 Like

This:

“ We have far to many players happy just making a living being an AFL footballer “

2 Likes

Let’s just end this and move on.

The media are sensing it, I reckon woosha himself is feeling it - and last was was the first time walking out that the fans are in unison.

The guy is out of his depth in the modern game - for the love of god let’s rip the bandaid off and get this club back on track. Sure, we have bigger issues but this is the first action which causes the remaining fixes to happen.

5 Likes

The problem is coaching related IMO. That’s not to dismiss the fitness/medical or cultural aspects also, I think there’s some issues there too but implementing a winning system should be front of mind when it comes to the “core business” which is winning football matches. We are a FOOTBALL club.

Injuries are a weak excuse. Look at last nights opponent FFS. No Riewoldt, Rance, Short, Nankervis, Cotchin, Butler all missing last night yet their system allowed them a chance to win. They play a territory game which doesn’t require much skill, get it forward and into space then they run onto it And if they’re beaten to the ball, they pressure and pressure hard. Castagna, McIntosh & Ellis aren’t highly skilled players but they play an important role in the system that allows them to breed a successful, winning team and culture. We’re so far away from that it’s not funny. The question is why. It’s attitude based, not skill based and Richmond have been able to establish it as a non negotiable. Can anyone tell me what our non negotiableS are as a team?

Of the positives last night, I think Parish is the biggest. Our coach has persisted with a perennial underperformer in Myers while pushing this guy to a flank. He’s not a Fkg flanker, he’s a Fkg ball winning midfielder! Langford who actually is a tall high flanker, has been shoe horned into an inside mid role. We saw what he’s capable of as a forward late last night and a forward line that’s missing Joe, Fantasia, Brown and now Stringer will badly need this guy but you can almost bet that Myers and Baguley will be back next week and we will see normal transmission resume.

That Richmond team plays with an uncompromising edge. I don’t believe that list is anywhere near as talented as ours yet they continue to get the job done. This is Richmond. So long the laughing stock but unfortunately that laughing stock wears a different colourEd sash and I’m sick to Fkg death of being that mediocre rubbish that we’ve been for a decade and a half.

This club needs to grow a set and make some hard calls, starting with the coach. March him out now. Rutten takes over as the least tainted of the assistants then the cannon gets loaded at years end with the uninspiring lot that occupy our coaches box. Start a proper process to appoint the next coach. I don’t care who it is as long as they’re coming with the mandate to make us a successful team on field no matter the consequences. Give him license to clean house if he wants to, anything to get us back on track and quit the meandering path we’ve been on for so long. Start talking to the potential candidates now. Seek out Caracella, Bassett, Mitchell, Voss, Ratten & now Scott. The winds of change need to start blowing and soon.

45 Likes

Do it now. And put some of the senior players who coast along on notice too.

3 Likes