Woosha – final moments or finals moment?

I’m curious to know how much time is spent on goal kicking. By that I mean systematic practice of goal kicking. Not just go out and have 30 shots at goal. Miss 2/3 and that’s it, tick the box.
I mean proper assessment and development of a technique that increases your goal kicking success.

They stopped doing it after training because it is bad for soft tissues. I reckon they need to come up with another way because you should be practicing when you’re tired.

The last 4 weeks it has been dreadful and will cost us big.

Kicking the crap out the ball from 50+ out to make distance will probably put a bit of stress on the muscles. But 35, or 40 m shots with a smooth fluid technique should be fine. And given the impact they experience during a game I don’t see how properly managed goal kicking sessions are an issue.

Sounds like someone is taking a “catching a plane to Wangaratta instead of the bus” level of preciousness.

Staying back after practice to ping a few at the sticks, sure have a bit of fun. But goal kicking is THE core business of the match. Don’t do that well and all your success in the other aspects of the gameplan amount to zilch.

4 Likes

The current philosophy regarding skill training is that it should be incorporated into larger drills where a few different skills are practiced or match simulation type training. Some of that involves moving the ball around and somebody kicking for goal - either on the run or from a set shot.

The problem is, is that the kicking the goal bit isn’t really focused on. Coaches (and other players) will be yelling instructions at the players - “make space”, “run hard”, “quick ball movement”, “bring it to ground”, “positioning”, “that was your man Hams” etc etc. But you never hear “OK now finish it off with a goal”, “Follow your routine and kick the goal”.

Coaches will even stop drills talk to the players about something that they aren’t doing right or want done better. But again nobody ever gets pulled aside and given instructions about the goal kicking.

At the end of training a handful of players will spend a bit of time having shots from all sorts of angles and distances. But there doesn’t seem to be any proper ‘purpose’ to it.

In my mind the closest thing to kicking for set shot goal in AFL is hitting a golf ball. I would be getting in a golf tour player (or coach) to teach AFL players how to:

• practice for technique
  • practice for focus
  • practice with a purpose
2 Likes

Meh, same issues cropped up. This week a few individuals stood up and got us over the line

An injury depleted Richmond will embarrass this Saturday

Our side relies on talent to win games not system. Richmond relies on system, the talent is secondary

kicking goals causes injuries.
no wonder we don’t have a forward line.

1 Like

exactly

1 Like

Our inept board will use these injuries as an excuse for not paying out his contract this season, regardless of where we end up finishing. So everyone look forward to an awful 2020, with all of the exact same problems.

9 Likes

Yep, it’s very sad that our 2 B&F’s are out for the season. But what is sadder is it now pardons Worsfold for the rest of the season. He’s got a free ride just like 2016 all over again.

That’s interesting- EFC could make the finals and win one, yet you say the Board won’t have justification to honour his contract.

I doubt he would have been removed for mediocre performances even if we had a perfect injury list.

The board would’nt’ve moved against him unless we finished below Carlton or the players revolted. The later of which may still happen, but is unlikely.

We are about as likely to win the spoon as we are to win a final. Mathematically either is possible, but only mathematically.

3 Likes

not a chance. We don’t win a final he goes, simple as that

Can’t be blaming injuries. Well coached teams can still play well even with injuries to their best players. Just relies more on system and structure. Richmond being a perfect example.

Will see out this year and probably gone by round 8 next year. There is no way the board will move on him in 2019, no way. They are not going to let everyone know they are incompetent, they’ll just leave that for the fans to know.

Doubt the fact that only 29k turned on Saturday night even registered with them.

as soon as finals are out of the question and crowds drop off the will sack him. They will do it at the end of the year though. The club is all about making money, fans not turning up will have them in panic room

I think the only thing that bothers the football club is memberships. If we get 70,000+ members and finish 8th - 10th that is more appealing than having only 50,000 members and finishing 4th. Obviously though, if we finished top 4 we would get 80,000 members. My point is money is the number 1 priority by a fair margin.

1 Like

Very unlikely and it has nothing to do with injuries.

They won’t sack him for 2 main reasons imo.

1: Money
2: They can sell it very easily these days because Richmond and Collingwood stuck with their coaches and both had a level of success doing so.

1 Like

Can’t use it as an excuse as if Joe never plays again, we are basically saying to Woosha: yep we accept no finals footy, you’ve done well

My end of season cannon is very full with Worsfold and Crow taking up the first two places. If injuries give the coach a way out it will be very disappointing. Injuries are not the cause of why we are a mid table organisation going nowhere - rather they are just a symptom of how poor our entire football department is.

6 Likes

@redbull gives them wings… smirk.

Or at least a push out of a cannon.

2 Likes