**** got real for FIFA

Darkest day in sport.

How likely is this to get real results?

If they are being extradited to the US, then a bunch of them are going to jail for a fair time.

How likely is this to get real results?

Almost zero

#teamboot

AFL Integrity Unit ‏@IntegrityUnit 4m4 minutes ago

Football officials getting arrested in Switzerland? For some harmless racketeering? Maybe we won’t go over for the CAS appeal.

AFL Integrity Unit ‏@IntegrityUnit 1m1 minute ago

Oh wait, they’re soccer officials. Never mind. Ski trip is back on.

Never been so shocked in all my life. Probably still only the third most corrupt governing body in the world behind the ITF and UCI. Perhaps it’s at the same level as the AFL.

Never been so shocked in all my life. Probably still only the third most corrupt governing body in the world behind the ITF and UCI. Perhaps it's at the same level as the AFL.

You forgot the mob that run F1

now this makes soccer exciting!

Never been so shocked in all my life. Probably still only the third most corrupt governing body in the world behind the ITF and UCI. Perhaps it's at the same level as the AFL.

And the IOC

And the IOC

The ICC says hi.

And the IOC

The ICC says hi.
UCI puts a hand up too.

Struggle to understand how the USA can charge and extradite non US citizens/residents - has the world gone mad - Surely any charges must come from the countries of the accused or Switzerland.

Struggle to understand how the USA can charge and extradite non US citizens/residents - has the world gone mad - Surely any charges must come from the countries of the accused or Switzerland.

Perfectly simple - the alleged crime was committed in the USA. This is absolutely standard, of course. If I shot a man in Reno (just to watch him die) and then flew back home to Australia before the cops caught me, I could expect to be extradited too. Charges are laid by the country that the crime was committed in Certain war crimes are an exception to the rule, and the law seems to be treated as an entirely optional and somewhat quaint and naive institution when the magic word of ‘terrorism’ is involved, but the above holds true for the most part.

Don’t know how to do a direct link, but the Jennings interview this morning is worth listening to…

Reminds me of that scene in JFK where Joe Pesci tells Garrison all.

I like S Blatter.

Perfectly simple - the alleged crime was committed in the USA. This is absolutely standard, of course. If I shot a man in Reno (just to watch him die) and then flew back home to Australia before the cops caught me, I could expect to be extradited too. Charges are laid by the country that the crime was committed in Certain war crimes are an exception to the rule, and the law seems to be treated as an entirely optional and somewhat quaint and naive institution when the magic word of ‘terrorism’ is involved, but the above holds true for the most part.

I reckon the USA are stretching the law to suit their own purpose - And I would argue impinging on the sovereignty of other countries - Yes, Blazer is American so he falls under the auspices of US law.

Anyway the more pertinent question is that the US investigation goes back to 1995 - Strange that the US held the 1994 World Cup. It’s a coincidence.

I like S Blatter.

So, that makes you, & Vlad Putin …

Not sure if Serious, … but I suppose there may be a few on the planet who are unaware…

Dear Avaazers,

Swiss police just arrested 7 FIFA executives, giving hope to billions of people around the world who love football and hate corruption. But unless we move fast Sepp Blatter will get away with it, and begin his fifth term as FIFA president!

Under Blatter, FIFA scandals extend from bribery, ripping off FIFA host countries, and burying the ethics investigation he commissioned into vote rigging to award World Cups to Russia and Qatar! But this isn’t just about football – his FIFA has fostered corruption, abuse of workers’ rights, and the flattening of communities to erect stadiums in host countries.

Yesterday’s dawn raids is the best moment we’ve ever had to kick out Blatter and reclaim our game. But it won’t happen without a massive outcry. Let’s create the world’s fastest-growing petition today, hit a million and then call on FIFA execs to kick him out when they vote in 24 hours. Sign and share this widely:

Football is by far the world’s most popular sport, and the scandalous way it is run has saddened armies of fans who want to see a clean contest on the field. A Transparency International poll out this week shows that four in five football fans don’t want Blatter to stand, and two thirds have lost confidence in FIFA to run the game.

The Swiss government arrested the FIFA bigwigs on suspicion of taking over $100 million in bribes and kickbacks in return for football media and marketing rights. The arrests follow a three year investigation by US prosecutors, who say that conspiracies to corrupt took place on US soil and using American banks. US officials are also investigating Sepp Blatter.

Let’s move fast to build a massive call to oust Blatter and get FIFA to push back its election until it has candidates who can drag the institution into the twenty-first century, free of corruption. Sign now and tell everyone:

At the beginning of this year the Avaaz community came together to stand up against the slave conditions of World Cup labourers in Qatar. Now we can come together to clean up football at the very heart of FIFA.

With hope,

Alex, Rowena, Alice, Rewan, Andrea, Ricken and the Avaaz team

More Information:

Fifa corruption charges: is this the beginning of the end for the house that Sepp Blatter built? (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-the-fifa-that-b

FIFA officials, including 2 VPs, arrested on corruption charges (CNN)

4 in 5 football fans say Blatter should not stand for FIFA President: Poll of 35,000 in 30 Countries (Transparency International)

Fifa corruption probe: Officials arrested in Zurich (BBC News)

I reckon the USA are stretching the law to suit their own purpose - And I would argue impinging on the sovereignty of other countries - Yes, Blazer is American so he falls under the auspices of US law.

Anyway the more pertinent question is that the US investigation goes back to 1995 - Strange that the US held the 1994 World Cup. It’s a coincidence.

WHAT???
HOW DARE YOU!!!

We have similar laws here, as far as I know. Anti-bribery stuff in particular, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act or whatever it’s called…

If a foreign employee (or even a foreign contractor) of an Australian company, who is working overseas, bribes a govt official in that overseas country, then the Australian company (and possibly its management) can be prosecuted under Australian law.

Short version - I’m sure Australia had legal grounds to arrest these guys too, if we hadn’t been too gutless (and out soccer administration etc hadn’t been too implicated in their dodginess)

Sorry mod’s, this only needs to be here for today, (up to whenever the vote is), & that being the case, I hoped you could leave it for the maximum exposure.

Move it if you have to, but fans of sport & advocates of it being free from corruption, (wouldn’t be many of those here now …?? ), can really help make a difference, starting with the biggest fish of all. ( or 2nd …IOC? )

If this petition is what gets FIFA cleaned up, it will sound a warning to all other world sport organisations, that the paying sportsfan is sick to death of it, the backroom deals, the money under tables, the jobs for the boys, … had a gutfull! Maybe it will even be heard all the way down in our little nook of the globe?

Hopefully, most here will sign & share it around thier networks today.this morning.

“We have less than 24 hours to get rid of FIFA boss Sepp Blatter rather than see him elected for a fifth term as president of world football. Sign up and tell everyone fast – if one million of us join now an Avaaz team will deliver it straight into tomorrow’s meeting in Zurich.”

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/fifa_blattner_en_loc/?bTqMtjb&v=59462

For more info, read larger post below.