I personally see this is a comparison about how we went compared to expectations.
I expected we would finish last, so clearly I am going to think we had a better year than most others.
Having said that, I think we have objectively had a fantastic year, though it doesn’t feel like it right now.
- Cohesive game plan for the first time in years
- A number of players reinvented themselves with new positions - Laverde, Hind, Stewart
- Career best seasons from a wide range of players
- Emergence of Parish as an elite midfielder
- Energence of Draper as the competition’s best young ruckman
- Young kids showed promise - Cox, Perkins
- 2MP trade looks inspired
- Walloped in final
- Reid didn’t get on the park
- Bottom end of list still looks flaky - Clarke, Guelfi, Gleeson etc
- Shiel, McGrath, Caldwell all spent majority of year injured
- Only one win against a top 8 side.
Overall, despite the awful ending, I thought we had a really good year all things considered. Particularly given it was Truck’s first year in charge and we lost three of our best players in the trade period. Better than anyone could have expected and for the first time I have some actual hope we are headed in the right direction in a sustainable way.
Solid B+ for mine.