Track and field

8 Likes

Great run.

Ingebrigtsen is a freak!

Can we get him down to work with Franga?

What?? He knows how to tackle and take marks too?

If so, BRING HIM IN!

Those new shoes must be great to run in

1 Like

in related news Aussie Olympian Peter Bol just broke the Australian 800m record in time of 1:44:00. It was a difficult race so he may be able to go faster in the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

4 Likes

Bol was declared winner as well

1 Like

Certainly seem to have made all past WRs redundant. (Well except the East German women’s ones …)

2 Likes

Oli Hoare is a great bloke.

loves the banter with the other athletes.

really impressive run

their podcast is great too Oli Hoare & Morgan McDonald (Coffee Club)

1 Like

Shoes provide some benefit, but 99.5% down to the athlete.

If, as they suggest, the shoes provide around 3 or 4 % improved efficiency, then to find the small improvements in the WR, it is the shoes. The athlete obviously has to be someone who can go at approx WR level, but the sheer number of long term WRs that have fallen lately suggests that something is playing a role.

Not so sure about that, remember this ??

1 Like

lots of things come into it

• weather
  • track surface (Used to be cinder / grass)
  • Shoes
  • technology (World record visual line)
  • training at elevation

Recent Shoe benefits is likely more in recovery - dont beat legs up as much, so can actually do more work / running.

Put Kipchoge in adidas shoes and he would still win all the marathons.

Weather has always been a thing

Hasn’t been cinders for so many years (although I do have a bottle of the Melb 56 Olympic cinders track somewhere)

Training at altitude has been a thing for years.

There is obviously a “progression” of records over time, and perhaps we’ve now caught up to a more natural progression after a bunch of middle and long distance records were set somewhat artificially, but it feels like there has been a huge spike in the last couple of years after records that had stood the test of time.

(Re Kipchoge in Adidas, well Adidas make a “supershoe” as well so he might still run some records. I have no doubt Kipchoge would win all the marathons in a nice pair of KT26s, but would he blow all of history’s records to pieces?)

(That said I thought El Gerrouj’s 1500 WR had been broken, but apparently not, so it’s only 5000 up where all of the records have been broken in the last couple of years, so perhaps the dragonflys aren’t as good as the vaporflys)

Dragon flys are good, but sub elite runners prefer to run in vaporflys or next % on the track and they ahve been banned or elites.

Dragon flys acually help protect the calf, which means that athlete is not as banged up as they would be in traditional spikes, thus they can race more and get injured less and perhaps build up there aerobic base more.

Bol is sponsored by Adidas I think and Hoare is sponsored by ON. So the competition is pretty similar to what nike has produced with the Dragon fly.

1 Like

1 Like

Like the super suits in the pool

Supersuits in the pool are scientifically proven effective I believe, although my understanding is that the vast majority of the benefit is actually the squeezing refusing the “S” in the drag equation, rather than the material reducing the “Cd”.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to study Phys Ed at Philip Institute in the 1980’s. We were sponsored by Puma, and unless you had a sponsorship arrangement due to your athletic prowess, ( of which I was never in danger of!), we had to wear 100% Puma gear to school at all times for practical classes. So I guess I always have liked Puma as a result.
Plus we got to meet Barry Rowlings and Peter Knights- the Puma reps at the time.
I remember Knights being shorter that I thought, and Rowlings being ridiculously fit.

1 Like

I was under the understanding that the vaporflys weren’t recommended as a training tool as they would lead to weaknesses in the calf and ankles and would also transfer load to knees and hips.

(Of course a lot of the research into this is speculative. It seems clear that there is some benefit in efficiency for some runners, but a lot depends on how the athletes foot strike etc interacts with the shoe)