Growing up 'Essendon' - Robert Shaw article

Great piece of writing by Robert Shaw but his memory is failing on one point. In the April 1973 match v Richmond unfortunately it wasn't a 47 point victory it was a two point loss 19-15-129 to 19-13-127. That was the first match I went to.

yep, and it was Graham Moss’ first game if my memory serves me correctly.

Your both correct.

And the last quarter went for 38 minutes and Graham Moss’ game had to be seen to be believed.

yes, it was a great game. he didn’t play many poor ones. his name is hardly mentioned these days, but I have always rated him very, very highly.

Great piece of writing by Robert Shaw but his memory is failing on one point. In the April 1973 match v Richmond unfortunately it wasn't a 47 point victory it was a two point loss 19-15-129 to 19-13-127. That was the first match I went to.

How were the chips that day, Ronnie?

No chips but I conned dad into buying some donuts…mmmmmm donuts.

Ahhh… back in the good old days when it was still spelled ‘doughnuts’…

Robert Shaw wrote that about 4 years ago for the EFC Past Players. It's been edited a little for this version. I googled the rain in the desert quote and the old version came up. I think he wrote it when we were moving to Tulla.

At the members’ forum Paul Little spoke about improving Windy Hill as well as Tulla. Has anything come of this?

For those of us who weren’t old enough to remember Moss, just how good was he?

And who does he compare with, game style, to today?

I remember Mossy, … and his Brownlow win, … for years in my minds eye I would have compared him to Simon Madden, … can’t think who I would in todays game though, … the role and game itself has changed so much.

1 Like

He was very, very good. So good that in four years in the VFL he finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fifth in the Brownlow and won the Crichton three times.

He was a good tap ruckman but not the very best going around. Where he excelled was in his mobility and marking ability. When resting in the backline he would mark everything that came near him and he could be damaging forward too.

As far as a modern day comparison goes, maybe Grundy or Gawn although he was a much smoother mover than either of those and a lot better in the air too.

2 Likes

The club was a ■■■■■■ mess from 2001 onwards, although it took a while for it to permeate all areas. The handling of the Sheedy sacking was when it became obvious that it was completely unraveling, and it’s only the last few years that things have got back together. Like the unraveling, the regrouping is taking time, but hopefully we really are on the right track again.

1 Like

At the 2017 practice match BBQ, Sheeds said he kicked the winning goal to the school end. He was wrong. And he was told so.

1 Like