Guess the location (a new game)

Fairly easy one and people who have been there wont forget it.

It hasn’t recovered - it’s getting there but still a long way off.
We left in June 2011 - after far too many aftershocks.
You’d wake most nights to shaking and there’d be that hesitation - is this another big one, do we make a run for it or will it pass?
Concrete tile roof made it worse.
The day before we were due to fly out for good, we had a 6.1 and then a 6.4 about an hour later - and I just thought thank f#ck we’re out of here.

I rode it on a postie bike, and if you make it on that, you can make it in anything lol

In all seriousness though I’d take a 4wd

You could also fly to kunnunura and drive down. I’d do it that way, go barra fishing in kunnunurra, then head to broome. Uhhh need to stop talking about it

2 Likes

The other one I missed out on was Bungle Bungles - makes a great loop trip. Finish off in some luxury at El Questro.

1 Like

If the season turns out pear shaped again - maybe we should arrange a remote Blitz Kimberley trip around September so we can be as far away from any football news as possible!

1 Like

Good on you for that, of course

I am just saying that they make it very hard for the people they are trying to attract to NW WA, i.e. fly-in tourists:

1. NO, you can only go there by 4WD

2. No, You can’t hire any 4WD to go there.

3. No, we don’t have any postie bikes. You should have booked with WOB.

3 Likes

The road wasn’t half as bad as what I thought it’d be. I reckon you could easily do it in a 2wd x trail or something of the like that was in good nick.

I’m guessing this one is Cambodia? Killing fields?

Monday was the 8th anniversary of the mag 9.1 earthquake & tsunami here. A day I will never forget.

Cool joint! Our last two nights were home valley and el questro. Good way to finish. I preferred Home valley. We went for a helicopter ride over the pentecost, was awesome

4 Likes

Yeah - when I turned on the TV that night I was dumbstruck.

So soon after NZ - felt like the whole circle of fire was going to explode.

Tell us more JR. I’ve been in a few small earthquakes here in Singapore. Mostly ones a long way off. Lights shaking, pictures wacking against the wall. Mildly scary on the 50th floor but nothing like I imagine you have seen.

Hmmm - I Haven’t been to Home Valley either.

Best stop talking about it - I’ve got a few months off soon and I’m trying not to spend too much!

Damn, was actually planning to go by boat!

My wife was 7 months pregnant at the time. On that day (a Friday), we would usually be at work in Tokyo (different locations), but we had to attend a soon-to-be-parents lecture at our local hospital, so we rendezvoused there.

At 2:40 p.m. - the nurse suggested a break for 10 mins. There were about 30 other pregnant women & their partners there. My wife & I were actually discussing the Christchurch earthquake (2-3 weeks earlier) at the time, when the hospital building started violently shaking. I think we were on the 5th or 6th floor.

The shaking intensified & the building was rocking from side to side. If you have ever been sailing before, imagine holding the mast in rough seas. It was like that. Everyone was screaming. I was convinced that we were gunna die from the building collapsing. Hats off to Japanese earthquake technology, as there is no real way to explain a building swaying like that.

The earthquake lasted just under 4 minutes. The force was so great that satellites in space captured the earth shaking on its axis. And the entire land mass of Japan was shoved 1-2 metres closer to China.

There is more to the story, but will save for another time.

3 Likes

Jesus… it’s hard to imagine the force…you see those videos of offices and desk flying around… crazy.

Spot on about Japanese engineering. How this buildings stay up is amazing.

What makes Tokyo unique is that the entire Kanto plain is basically sand & Kanto loam (volcanic ash). The bedrock is extremely deep. So, the ground itself is unstable. And many areas are built on reclaimed land. In an earthquake of that size, soil liquefaction occurs. Bl#ody scary stuff. But, Japanese earthquake technology & building standards are the best in the world.

Have just stayed a few days in Kaikoura. The woman who owned the motel was an Aussie who moved there 2 weeks before the 2017 quake- her story was incredible too. … racing up hillsides at midnight & seeing the water sucked out of the bay. They are still working on roads north & south but it’s looking good. I think I read that the South Island is now 5 metres closer to the North Island. Amazing.

1 Like

It is truly scary stuff. Glad your wife didn’t go into early labour!

I remember sitting there in the backyard - trying to be in clear space from anything that could fall and holding both my dogs next to me and feeling like I was in a scene from War of the Worlds - it literally felt like something was going to come up from the ground below. And these were just the aftershocks. We were awake luckily when the first one hit in Sept 2010 - as it was 4am and we lost power immediately but were coherent enough find our way out of the bedroom over toppled furniture… The noise of it coming was like a freight train coming towards the house. There are lots more stories - but should save them for another thread. Now where is that ■■■■■■ photo taken @Aceman

1 Like