Gumby

He did all right earlier in the year...

I suspect that he'll have the next 3 weeks to prove his body is right and consolidate his trade value.

If he continues to play the way he is, his value would be going down more than up.

Granted it's hard to know if he isn't playing as well as he was, due to the team drop off, or simply the game has changed too much from aerobic work to contested work, which with 6 years pretty much out and not being able to learn the craft better, you'd have to wonder if he could now.

add to that no doubt with the lack of oppotunities til recently this year, he'd have already decided he is out the door, so that's anther area that could be why he hasn't peformed since coming back.

According to Hird in the post match presser, he copped a bad corky early in the game and did well just to play the game out.  He maw well have been subbed if Winderlich hadn't experienced tightness in his hamstring.

James Hird said in his press confernce that he picked a big corkie early in the game, and he actually did well to tough it out and play the game out. There is no doubt this was true as he was receiving a lot of work on the boundry line.

I was critical of him during the game, but knowing that he was injured, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

It would be good to see him work in tandem with Hurley and crameri. However that means one of Pears, or Bellchambers or both get dropped.

I hope that he gets the opportunity next week to redeem himself, along with 21 other players who were off their best today.

Gumby and Tbell are too similar as forwards and I don’t like them in the same forward line.

Both are ok on the lead and can take a mark above their head one on one, other than that they don’t offer much.

If Gumby is genuinely versatile he should be on his bike and up to the wing and half back. He’s not doing that.

With Crameri, JD and TBell I just don’t see a regular role for him. I think someone will offer him that and he’ll go, which is fair enough.

We are missing the bigger issue Bellchambers - He is and will never be a forward - Gumby's better performances have been when he is the number three tall - he needs to play behind Hurley/Crameri - Then you will see his new potential.

And we need to remember that Gumby and T-bell struggled against O'Keefe and N.Brown - Glass and McKenzie are better players 

We are missing the bigger issue Bellchambers - He is and will never be a forward - Gumby's better performances have been when he is the number three tall - he needs to play behind Hurley/Crameri - Then you will see his new potential.

And we need to remember that Gumby and T-bell struggled against O'Keefe and N.Brown - Glass and McKenzie are better players

When we're at full strength, TBell is defintely the one keep Gumby out of the team.

When we're at full strength, TBell is defintely the one keep Gumby out of the team.

I would rather Gumby, unless the ruck is split equally between T-Bell and Ryder - And this ain't happening.

Suffered a corkie in the 2nd qtr.

Hird said he did well just staying out there.

Would like to see him play with another forward like Crameri or Hurley.

As poor as he's been the past 2 weeks, you can't judge where he's at by the last 7 days, the whole forward line is cooked, the entry into the forward 50 is shot to bits.

The feeling is that he's going to be passed by for Joe, and it's been a phenomenal season to have him play 20 weeks on the trot , so playing him the next 3 weeks in front of big melbourne crowds will put him in the window.

I really feel for the guy, you cannot doubt his level of commitment, strength and love for the Essendon Football Club.

Same problem every week. Only the names change.

Gumby, Hurley, Crameri, Daniher, Davey, Jetta, Ryder, Tom, Kommer, Winderlich etc etc.

Until The Coach & Selectors can find a settled six we are kidding ourselves IMO.

Yes we have had injuries but so has every other side who's midfielders get the ball & know exactly who & where they are going to kick it.

After 2 seasons now of same thing - not good enough.

I'm not being a sad sack reactionary ******, but what are his strengths?

ands? Seems like Carlisle's are better (though he's better than most).

Tank? Isn't that really, REALLY low in the KPP priority list?

EDIT: lolza, d.ouche gets filtered.

He had some good passages of play today I thought.

Would love to see a FWD line

FF: T-Bell Carlisle Davey
HFF: Crameri Gumbletime Kommer

Gumby and Cramers playing up the ground.

Obviously never going to work in reality but pretty similar to the Hawks set up. 2 KPP (Franklin, Roughy) 1 RUCK (Hale) and 1 Mid Size (Gunston). I suppose though, our forwards are more KPP as in, Franklin and Roughy are alot more agile and can rove a contest.

I love Gumby. But he seems off it a little.

the corky is some respite, but it doesn't excuse his marking.

Needs a big off season. I'd almost play him at Bendigo for the rest of the year and let him really build up some form and bring Joe in.

Gumby for all his so called athleticism has the mobility/turning circle/below the knees ability of a lumbering ruckman but none of the body strength to keep his feet in a contest or take a contested mark where its not delivered on a platter. Also not a player who appears cable if making something out of nothing through scrapping for a goal ever. Fwd/ruck for mine if Belly or Ryder is out. Not good enough/not reliable enough to be a go to kpf.

Daniher will pass by him by pretty quickly.

Being the optimist I am when it comes to our players, he could have had 3 goals today if his kicking boots were on.

Took a good grab on the behind post at the Fletcher end and decided to run around and kick on his left. Reckon he would have been a better chance on his right.

Gave a joe the goose to Goddard in the goal square at the Lloyd end and also up the same end he had a cheeky shot from the boundary which hit the bottom of the behind post on the full.

He was mauled and held on to quite a few times. The sort of tactics that end up gifting blokes like Franklin an extra 2 or 3 goals a game.

It's basically about making the most of the opportunities presented to him. If he kicks 3 goals and has a bit more influence with better delivery then all of a sudden he is the answer.

The forward line with he and Hurley against St Kilda was the best it has looked all year. I'm hoping the two can play together a few times before our season is effectively over just to see how the combination goes against a better team.

We have to show some faith because Joe is not quite ready yet and otherwise our forward line consists of defenders, rucks and midfielders which is pretty alarming.

I reckon Gumby, Hurley and Crameri have played a total of 1 game together, and it wasn't one of Gumby's better games. 

I sort of agree with you are trying to get at... but it has very little to do with Tom Bellchambers. 

I hate it when the supporters turn on one of our own. I might have strong opinion and may voice that in a forum but never in my life have I gone to a game and yell at one of our players for making a mistake or having a bad game.

I might have laughed when he kicked it out on the full from 2m, because it was genuinely funny. But giving it to him when he grabbed a couple looked really bad on us as a support group.

include him in the package to get pick 1

let daniher and boyd destroy the competition for a decade