GWS players coming home

Adam Treloar set to follow Tom Boyd in returning to Melbourne next year
JON RALPH
HERALD SUN
OCTOBER 17, 2014 8:00PM

GWS star Adam Treloar is high on the hit list for trade next season. Picture: Phil Hillyard
GREATER Western Sydney star midfielder Adam Treloar looks set to follow Tom Boyd in returning to Melbourne next year.

The Herald Sun understands the Giants face a massive task in keeping Treloar, who has set his mind on leaving western Sydney.

It would take immediate success for the Giants in the first half of the 2015 season to have any chance of swaying him.

A number of Melbourne clubs have had it made clear to them that young stars Treloar and Adam Tomlinson will be available next year.

Many of the GWS kids including Jon Patton, Josh Kelly and Lachie Whitfield are contracted long-term, with others like Tom Bugg and Stephen Coniglio happy at GWS.

GWS Giants forward Jeremy Cameron has one year left on his contract. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Melbourne clubs with chequebooks open are hovering around key tall Tomlinson, star midfielder Dylan Shiel and once-in-a-generation forward Jeremy Cameron.

Treloar finished fourth in the Giants‘ best-and-fairest count this year after a fifth placing in 2013, with the Noble Park junior a quiet kid who is keen to get back to a his close-knit family.

The Giants have stocked up on established talent — Ryan Griffen and Joel Patfull their latest recruits — aware after nine victories in three years they need to start winning.

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE OF THE SUPERFOOTY PODCAST BELOW OR CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE IN ITUNES

Treloar has had every other AFL side inquire about his availability, so will see out his contract next year aware he could draw a multi-million dollar long-term deal to return to Victoria.

If the Giants burst up the ladder next year it could change the mind of some of the Giants kids who after three years are ready for a return home.

GWS coach Leon Cameron was asked about an exodus of players next year but believes the club‘s culture will win out.

“I am really confident 99 per cent of our players want to stay at this footy club. There is going to be one that might want to slip out but 99 per cent of them have bought into this footy culture and we are heading in the right direction,” Cameron said.

“We feel like a lot of people have come from interstate and they have started to build a fantastic culture of players who want to be here.”

Tom Boyd shocked GWS Giants by joining the Western Bulldogs on mega deal. Picture: Getty
Stars out of contract at the end of 2015 at the Giants include Cameron, Shiel, Treloar, Coniglio, Toby Greene, Tomlinson, Buntine and Will Hoskin-Elliott.

GWS boss Dave Matthews said this week he knew some “wild offers” were coming but believed the Giants would keep their list together.

“We understand there are some wild offers that get made,” Matthews said. “Melbourne clubs have been into our players as we know. We have a talented group, a strong culture, a good coach and we are improving all the time.

Treleor, Shiel, Hoskin-Elliott....who would complement our current team ? Who could we target ? Who followed Essendon as a kid ?

I think Hoskin-Elliot could be the next Fyfe/Hird....get him at the right price on a long term and let the rest squabble over Treleor, Shiel and others.

john ralph should never start articles implying he understands something

#Moremayo

Ffs, only a day after trade period ends they're already speculating about the next one.

Oh good, 2015 Trade “Week” has started.

(but kudos for getting the word ‘exodus‘ in there)

Which GWS players are managed by Connors and Pickering?

I would be putting money on players leaving being managed by one of those two.

Cameron to the Bombers. Make it happen Dodoro!

Lachie Whitfield please.

Throw a dart at those names and I'd be happy.

Hopefully it will turn out that the vast majority of our negotiation over the last two weeks was actually figuring out with Connors which of those players he'll force GWS to trade to us for unders next year.

We should have plenty of cap space in 2016 when half our list retires at once.

Hoskin-Elliot. 

We 'should' know how this works now. 

Got plenty of time to lay the groundwork. 

I'll start a thread when Dodoro pulls of a move like that.

Noble Park eh. Imagine if we’d had the foresight to target another Noble Park product, might get us an in.

Which one of the mentioned do/would we really need?

I know Camo's a gun, but do we have room in our fwd line If JD & Buckets work as they began to last year for example?

When it comes to talls or kpp we really only need backups, &/or developers, no?

Discuss.

They'd probably take 8% of it before tax.

Are we gonna have any cap space for anyone?

Can seriously see Carlton pulling out all the stops to land half those names considering they can’t draft for ■■■■ and rely on poaching

I know Camo's a gun, but do we have room in our fwd line If JD & Buckets work as they began to last year for example?

Discuss.

I'll go with what a couple of others have said and say Hoskin-Elliott. Great mark, kicks goals, would be great for when Chapman, Winderlich and Cooney simultaneously collapse in 12 months.

Discuss.

It would hurt, but I would be prepared to have Cameron as the third tall.

They'd probably take 8% of it before tax.

A manager(?) on ABC last night said they get 4% in AFL.

We'd definitely be in the running. Could see us offering 500k+.