Hall of Shame

I think Good Friday should be renamed to something more suitable. Killing Jesus Day, perhaps.

Execution day. Then all the schools could still have a fate.

I favour Australia Week.

Start with AFL GF then the next Saturday the NRL GF with Bathurst on the Sunday as the Grand Finale.

This is what makes Australia great.

Boot has soooo many stories, we need him to write a book, please encourage him :)

I wanna hear the one again where he foolishly (but bravely) stood up to Stan the Man Longinidis.
Not sure that ended well :#

Lol.
He wouldn’t fight me.
Admired the spirit but doubted the skills.
He was absolutely correct.

Nice bloke too.

*and you have a good memory

Boot has soooo many stories, we need him to write a book, please encourage him :)

I wanna hear the one again where he foolishly (but bravely) stood up to Stan the Man Longinidis.

Lol.
He wouldn’t fight me.

Nice bloke too.

Was he in a leg-cast at the time?

Lol.
He wouldn’t fight me.

Nice bloke too.

I think you may have that one mixed up Deckham.
Didn’t Stan the Man break the shin of the American dude ?
Wasn’t it the guy who played Jean Claude’s brother in the movie ‘Kickboxer’ ?

Lol.
He wouldn’t fight me.

Nice bloke too.

Ah yes, that’s right :slight_smile:

Still…there is something in imagining a drunken Boot challenging an ex world champion with a leg in a cast…

Its been around pretty much as long has the song has. Late 70's.

That song is pretty old. The original version was missing the main siren like guitar riff. Was rather plain and boring.

True that.
I’ve been trying to remember the first time I heard the “no way get ■■■■■■, ■■■■ off” reply.
Pretty sure it was from my elder sister when I was about 13ish. Puts it about '79-'80.
I read the article regarding when the band remember it being chanted back to them by the crowd for the first time at Mt Isa in '83.
A band I played with supported them, (actually it was really just the Brewster bro’s) a few years ago.
I rekon at least 50% of that crowd were there just for that moment.
About ten or so years ago I was talking to a Singaporean who immediately asked me about that song and the answering chant when she realised I was an aussie.

First saw them in 78 as support for Bowie at the G… I think it was happening then, but can’t really remember.

I’m positive* it was by the next time at the SMB, Summer of '81.

(*Almost … I saw them a lot of times after that)

I don’t recall it happening when they supported ACDC IN 1980, have always thought it emerged soon after that.
Edit, 1981

Lol.
He wouldn’t fight me.

Nice bloke too.

Ah yes, that’s right :slight_smile:

Still…there is something in imagining a drunken Boot challenging an ex world champion with a leg in a cast…

Sad to say Deckham, I was 100% sober, and I think Stan was a world champion at the time. It was at work (Rye carnival) and I offered him (from memory) a months pay to fight me. I just wanted to see how well I could fight. He knocked me back. He did however praise the size of my testicles, and question the size of my brain. All in good humour with a smile on his face. He was a nice bloke. And we did have a few drinks and a few laughs after I had knocked off.

Many years ago I worked with an American who fancied himself as a fighter and as the story goes he had the opportunity to spar with Muhammad Ali, before the first fight with Joe Frazier.

He told Ali he would give him his new car if Ali could catch him in the ring in one round. When he woke up, Ali checked he was OK, and to tell him he had been for a drive.

Think big balls can get boys with small brains and big egos into bother.