Happy Anniversary 16th Flag

You guys makin me feel like an old dude now
84 flag - I was still in high school & told my folks that we had an inter school footy trip to Bega but I jumped on the train from Sydney to Melbourne got no sleep and with a EFC supporting mate bought 4 x tickets to the game for $10 each / sold two of them for $50 each which gave us plenty of drinking funds all day (& all night)
Back then you got two painted footprints on the concrete but that last qtr will never forget
85 flag - one year older & the folks were not gonna stop me (even though I got grounded for a month after my 84 trip!!)
Remember the result never felt in doubt cos we were a better drilled team in 85
I recall Harvs warming up in denim jacket & jeans :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
93 flag - was living in the U.K. for 18 months prior & reading about Mercs / Hirdy / Fletch etc really having a crack during the season
When we made the GF I flew back from England said a quick hi & bye to family / friends in Sydney and jumped on the overnight train to Melbourne getting into spencer st Saturday morning
Somewhat naively / arrogantly walked across to the MCG expecting to buy a ticket from a scalper
Had no luck for about 5 hours but kept holding a sign saying just flew here from UK via Sydney
Was about to give up & head to the Royal to watch the game when I tall guy said “hey mate you after a ticket, I’ve got a spare you can have for $50”
He added “only thing is you’ll have to sit next to my girlfriend in the southern stand cos I’m in the members with some old team mates”
I looked up & said thanks Vanders!!

2000 flag - flew down got my ticket for $650 thru the Adelaide Crows GF breakfast
That flag sure was a relief after 99

I reckon our next one will be sheer exhilaration after what the club & supporters have been thru

17 Likes

It’s funny how something so small in the grand scheme of things can make life just seem brilliant. I was only 13 (and I wasn’t really a happy kid) but I just remember life being absolutely perfect for 6 months until footy started again.

Starting with the flag, then olympics, school holidays, xmas, new years were all awesome.

2 Likes

The last quarter of '85 is a cracker too. Kicked 11 goals, probably could’ve been 15

1 Like

The most comfortable, relaxing Grand Final ever. All pre-match week and all day there was never any doubt that we would win.

I was 22, and came back on prelim day after spending 3 months in Europe. Everything was so perfect in 2000.
Man I wish every year was like that.

1 Like

Screw T Wallace.

3 Likes

2000 still doesn’t seem that long ago to me. That is until you go to watch the replay and it’s only in SD and no widescreen.

That was a magnificent finals series. When Lloydy was lining up for his ton my mate jumped the fence before he kicked and security swarmed from everywhere. I thought they’d kick him out but they were a little distracted by the flood of supporters when it sailed through.

Ok I’m pumped now…let’s get tanked!

Was 14. Did the “entertainment” pre game and then as we were walking off the ground to head to the busses to leave I snuck off and stayed in the ground. Mum wasn’t very upset at all, she is an Essendon supporter and gave me the idea.

2 Likes

When everyone ran into the ground after Lloyds 100th in the QF I was one of about ten tools who ran over to Carey, surrounded him and abused him.

I don’t regret it

10 Likes

I regret not doing that

5 Likes

I was just joking, you do come across as a mature passionate West Australian.

We did meet last year at Subiaco, and I was not a c*nt that night, but Mrs Fox and Koala were both there so I was on my best behaviour, and the feral Weagles supporters did keep me quiet.

1 Like

Yeah il put my hand up, that was out of line, Bad day. Apologies dude

1 Like

No apology needed WOB, I am a vile c*nt at times.

But I am very loyal and would kill for my mates.

I was 13 years old when we won in 2000. I loved it but it didnt sink in and mean as much to me as it would our next one

I was 20 when we won in 2000. Found myself back to Windy Hill to celebrate - no clear recollection of how I got from the ground to Essendon. Also not sure how I got home. I made a scrapbook of all the victorious news clippings from the year, stuck in all my finals tickets, including the GF. ■■■■■■ magnificent year.

12 Likes

You’re a good vintage, Heffsgirl :wink:

1 Like

I went to Windy Hill via public transport from Mount Waverley after the 1993 Grand Final. The action was entirely elsewhere, of course. Ran around on the oval with a few similar idiots, for lack of anything to do there.

1 Like

I was in the Windy Hill Social Club that night - waiting for the team to come home. As far as I’m aware, the team never arrived. My mother made me leave at around 3am. I was 10.

We sang ‘We Are The Champions’ so many times…

5 Likes

I must have climbed the fence at Windy Hill cos I remember looking up at the scoreboard there. I was at KMART when the doors opened for the DVD and poster which I think was the next day? Or day after. I was still in my GF clothes. Monday morning I went and got a premiership tattoo. I watched that DVD everyday until the start of the next season. My family had the major ■■■■■ with me.

13 Likes

I went there too…All I found was a bunch of Security who kept telling us to ■■■■ off as the players wern’t there.

Found a 6 pack of Powers Bitter on the way…Nice

3 Likes