Have the AFL missed an opportunity?

Upon hearing the recent news that LIma Jurrah has been arrested again following a high speed police chase it brings me back to Matt Randall and his warning re indigenous players.

It has always been my opinion that both his reasoning and intentions were completely beyond reproach yet he was sacrificed without a backward glance.

My question is…Have the AFL missed an opportunity here to really make a difference as opposed to just saying the words and hoping no one looks past them?

Of course. Apart from moves to feather it's own nest, the AFL is as superficial an organisation as you will ever see.

Don Watson wrote a book called Death Sentence about official use of weasel words. He should put out a new edition called the Age/AFL edition. I was going to call it a supplement, but that’s now been weasel-worded.

…conspiracy…indigenous…racism…

Unless your name is Eddie. Then it’s not rascism, then it’s just putting your foot in your mouth and you get to keep your job and all the perks.

The AFL has definitely missed an opportunity to prove it takes a singular rather than plural verb.

The AFL has definitely missed an opportunity to prove it takes a singular rather than plural verb.

LOLZ , you are correct. What an unforgivable mistake.
Perhaps I'm naive in thinking things could/should be different. It's a complex issue but nothing will improve by not talking about it.

Of course. Apart from moves to feather it's own nest, the AFL is as superficial an organisation as you will ever see.

Maybe I just like to think that most people are good, but it strikes me that the AFL and most Governments are not bad, or malicious or indeed intentionally superficial.
They are just farken incompetent !! I even think Vlad does the best he can, but him a and AfL can be so arrogant and self righteous at times, and when it all boils down, it is just a lack of ability.

Maybe I just like to think that most people are good, but it strikes me that the AFL and most Governments are not bad, or malicious or indeed intentionally superficial.
They are just farken incompetent !! I even think Vlad does the best he can, but him a and AfL can be so arrogant and self righteous at times, and when it all boils down, it is just a lack of ability.

I partly agree with you, but rather than them being incompetent they dig a hole for themselves then use lies to try and dig themselves out of a hole and it gets worse and worse.

I partly agree with you, but rather than them being incompetent they dig a hole for themselves then use lies to try and dig themselves out of a hole and it gets worse and worse.

As pessimistic as it sounds I can't not add that some people, often people who rise to positions of power, are strongly of the opinion that other people's views and indeed livelihoods and reputations are grist to the mill of their own empires. It's easy to give greed a new suit of ideological clothes, and it's easy to convince yourself that everyone's backyard should resemble your own tidy acre. It doesn't hurt that we've gone from an egalitarian society, at least in intent, to a dog eat dog one in a quick 15-20 years. RAAAANT

I actually wish that was the case. I remember in the Matt Rendell case. Andy D was being interviewed on SEN before they had attributed the comments to anyone and he said
" if I have my way this person will never work in football again"
Later he denied saying this and SEN funnily had no record of that interview. I know he said it, I heard him. And sadly he was absolutely correct.

Anyone who saw footy classified that time knows Rendell was misinterpreted.

He never said draft whites, he was worried that if current trends of analysing and measuring prospects continued there wouldn't be many indigenous blokes drafted.
The AFL however being the reactive and never proactive organisation they are thought they'd make a mockery of Rendell and sweep the actual issue away.
Sound familiar?

Anyone who saw footy classified that time knows Rendell was misinterpreted.
He never said draft whites, he was worried that if current trends of analysing and measuring prospects continued there wouldn't be many indigenous blokes drafted.
The AFL however being the reactive and never proactive organisation they are thought they'd make a mockery of Rendell and sweep the actual issue away.
Sound familiar?

Yep, someone criticises them, they have them raked over hot coals with a complicit media.

Unless your name is Eddie. Then it's not rascism, then it's just putting your foot in your mouth and you get to keep your job and all the perks.

Irony in all of this is that Rendell is now employed by the Pies, and the person who sacked him got an AFL holiday for his role in the Tippett saga.

Unless your name is Eddie. Then it's not rascism, then it's just putting your foot in your mouth and you get to keep your job and all the perks.

Irony in all of this is that Rendell is now employed by the Pies, and the person who sacked him got an AFL holiday for his role in the Tippett saga.

i think that dude got the old "MBA during your suspension" handshake...

For me this issue has always been the smoking gun showing the true nature of AD. Rather than face up to a problem, of the type he is paid a cool $2M/year to address, he had an innocent parties reputation irreparably damaged in the press. What a disgusting act, to deliberately and falsely portray someone to be a racist, so he could neatly sidestep one of his responsibilities. This strategy worked so well the first time* he decided to wheel it out again. A person who enjoys his power, influence and financial reward should be held responsible for maintaining high standards. His behaviour is truly reprehensible.

*I seriously doubt it was actually the first time.

I’m of the view that unless an indigenous player is an out and out gun, few clubs would be willing to take a punt in the first 2-3 rounds as it’s a big risk for go home or just not adapt to the rigours.

Look at the amount of indigenous players that have come and gone just to name a few.

Relton Roberts

Troy Taylor

Austin Wonameri (spelling)

Liam Jurrah

J.Simpson

Carl peterson (hawks)

I'm of the view that unless an indigenous player is an out and out gun, few clubs would be willing to take a punt in the first 2-3 rounds as it's a big risk for go home or just not adapt to the rigours.
Look at the amount of indigenous players that have come and gone just to name a few.
Relton Roberts
Troy Taylor
Austin Wonameri (spelling)
Liam Jurrah
J.Simpson
Carl peterson (hawks)

Surely you could list 500 odd 'white fellas' who have come and gone too? Many of them weren't up to the rigours either.