Hawks v EFC at MCG this Saturday - the team!

Essendon will enter its must-win clash against Hawthorn with an unchanged line-up at the MCG on Saturday.

Team selection - Rd 20

Conor Walsh August 2, 2018 6:20 PM

Essendon will enter its must-win clash against Hawthorn with an unchanged line-up at the MCG on Saturday.

Minor doubts remained about the line-up after heavy head knocks to Matt Dea and Kyle Langford in the side’s strong victory over Sydney last week, but coach John Worsfold has confirmed the duo will take their place.

“We’ve had obviously some serious setbacks with injury over the last few weeks and even last week losing Matty Dea early in the game, we’ve had to cope with that,” Worsfold said.

“Hopefully (we will have) a really good run at it this Saturday, but (it is) nice to have the same line-up.

“They (Dea and Langford) both pulled up really well quickly after the game and trained really well today.”

Young defender Aaron Francis returned impressively against the Swans after spending more than a year out of the senior side, and Worsfold said he was hopeful he could give the 20-year-old a good run in the AFL team should team balance permit it.

“He’s got to play his role for the team and there is always that risk of just looking at match ups and the line-up,” he said.

“We’ve got players like (Ben) McNiece that went out of the side because we felt Aaron was going to help the balance of our line-up this week – he (McNiece) is in very good form as well.

“But we were rapt with what Aaron brought to the team last week and I’ve got no doubt he’ll just continue upwards from here.”

Worsfold was full of praise for Zach Merrett, who is set to play his 100th senior game on Saturday.

“(Zach is) an impressive young leader, obviously a talented footballer, but a really driven young man.

“(He is) starting to learn about how to drag his teammates along with him in that regard, without being too pushy.

“He’s learned a lot in the last couple of years and he’s learning to deal with being rated as one of our best players and the opposition putting a lot of work into him as well, and we’re seeing some great growth.”

The Bombers are one of the form teams of the competition having won eight of their last 10 matches, but they face another tough match against the Hawks who are coming off dominant victories over Carlton and Fremantle in the last fortnight.

Worsfold said the team’s focus will be on continuing to build on the exciting brand of football that has defined his side’s impressive purple patch of form, but highlighted Hawthorn’s experience as an important challenge in the upcoming contest.

“We’re aware that Hawthorn has got some really experienced players through all lines,” he said.

“(They have) an experienced forward line who have played a lot of footy together, they’ve got some real talent through their midfield and their backline with Frawley and Stratton and co. have been together for a long time as well.

“So they’re a still a very mature and strong team, but we’re really enjoying playing the brand of footy that we’ve been building week in, week out, and our focus is to bring that again this week.”

FINAL TEAM:
B – Dea, Hooker, Goddard
HB – Saad, Hurley, McKenna
C – McGrath, Z. Merrett, Zaharakis
HF – Smith, Baguley, Parish
F – McDonald-Tipungwuti, Brown, Fantasia
R – Bellchambers, Heppell, Myers
I/C – Stringer, Francis, Langford, Guelfi
Emergencies – Colyer, Leuenberger, Laverde, McNiece

3 Likes

Gotta say, we match up alright on paper.

4 Likes

Baguley named at CHF and I’m not even worried.

What a weird season this has been.

19 Likes

Lucky the first three on the bench are a bit bigger!

2 Likes

NO CHANGES???

WHY ISNT LANGFORD AN IN

WHY ISNT FRANCIS AN IN

FARK THIS CLUBBBBBBBB

30 Likes

No changes for mine

1 Like

Bring it Bombers!

RIP selection outrage

5 Likes

This is the most boring Thursday ever!

7 Likes

Ya think?

8 Likes

“No changes for mine” - Woosh

10 Likes

I’m a Dea fan but that looked horrible last week and I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t have any lingering issues. I really feel players should miss a week minimum for incidents like that

30 Likes

Don’t stop trolling Woosha. That’s A+

2 Likes

He missed most of last week, does that count?

1 Like

True lol
I’m just very wary of big head knocks like that. I know everyone is different but I’ve heard others like Zerrett comment that they felt sluggish and not quite right for a week or two after the incident

2 Likes

I agree with you btw.

1 Like

You’d think McNeice will be a late change, for Dea

1 Like

@theDJR with the VFL starting 15 minutes after the AFL, are they likely to send one emergency to the AFL, but then rush him to the VFL once the AFL team is confirmed?

Yeah, I’m a Dea fan but I’d be staggered if he got up this week.

You like the Big D Ants?

7 Likes