Health & Fitness

Just got back from trekking(walking 10-15 kms for 14 days straight) and I've shed 6-7 kgs. Including some sizeable mass. Not that I am a body builder or anything. Went to gym the other day and was only able to push about 70-80% of what I could before. Will be a gradual thing but it's weird being skinnyish.

Need my fat(and lost muscle) back! Any quick fixes?

Pizza :wink:

If it was only 14 days it should come back pretty quick
I know for me personally a 2-3kg drop in bodyweight is roughly a 5% loss on squat and 10% on bench (funnily enough Iā€™ve deadlifted more at a lighter bodyweight)

Plenty of Pizza smashed down. Gained 3kgs already. Still light on the bench and not attempting squats yet as iā€™m sore from usual cardio. I might try and see where my deadlift is at tonight. Thanks!

finished the Melb Marathon in 3:19 min official, Strava 3:17:27 it was a bit disappointing given first half was 1:32 second half was 1:47, thought I was in better shape than I am. next year will try and stick with the 3:10 pacer.
Awesome time! I did the 10km in 1.04 official (1.03 on my phone). Not my best time but my best post baby (8 months old). Buggy did the half and I plan to be back there next year (have done it before)

My bro science rehab seems to be going pretty well
My ROM is actually better on the side with the tear than the good side (which says more about my general lack of mobility than it does my injury lol)
Iā€™ve also still got 90%+ of my strength in knee flexion (ie doing a hamstring curl)
Just seems to be strength in a stretched position (bottom of a squat, bent over row, deadlift) that is missing

Iā€™ve lost count of the exact number of reps, but I reckon Iā€™ve done well over 1000 reps of curl curls and single leg extensions since I did it on Friday lol

Finally got custom orthotics. Cost a $$$, but 2 days in, and Iā€™m feeling the difference.

Iā€™ve started sparring some boxers regularly (my background is muay thai). Iā€™m finding it hard to adjustā€”theyā€™re very mobile, using the entire ring to their advantage; they also throw a lot more punches, in longer combos, than Iā€™m used to.

I think Iā€™ve got a difficult few months ahead of me as I try and adapt. Hopefully, in the long run, itā€™ll be worth the effort :slight_smile:

finished the Melb Marathon in 3:19 min official, Strava 3:17:27 it was a bit disappointing given first half was 1:32 second half was 1:47, thought I was in better shape than I am. next year will try and stick with the 3:10 pacer.

That is an awesome effort, well done. Trying to talk myself into doing Gold Coast this year. Canā€™t get past doing halfs.

First time I have been in here, like a whole different blitz world. Just finished carcoar half on Sunday going to head to Canberra summer marathon in a month. This bit of running and Crossfit keeps me sleeping well. Just reading some of the above if you can find a good sports massager it will possibly help too.

My friend just send me s vid from Vegas of a 15 year old girl deadlifting 227.5kg
Talk about feeling demasculated lol

Lol howā€™s a 13909 calorie cheat meal?

Hit a 165kg deadlift for the first time yesterday, pretty happy.

The people having to clean it up must hate it but chalk is the best thing I ever invested in for my lifting lol.

Also, props to Eastie for the suggestion of working hamstrings before squatting, all hip pain gone.

Who said weights made you inflexible! Lol

That is an awesome effort, well done. Trying to talk myself into doing Gold Coast this year. Canā€™t get past doing halfs.

try a couple of 30km training runs and see how you go before committing. Most people improve a hell of a lot on their first marathon so donā€™t worry about finishing time etc just make sure you finish.

I am doing the Cadbury half marathon in Jan 2016. Hopefully will run the Gold coast marathon in 2016 as well.

Controversialā€¦ I got a lifting belt and like it

Spent the last week hiking in New Zealand
My calves and quads are absolutely rooted lol

Controversial... I got a lifting belt and like it

Lol it was only controversial in 2011 when no one at PTC was wearing them and Markos was anti-belt

5:00 onwards. Pretty epic near fatality* squatting

*may be decidedly over exaggerated

88:25 in half marathon at Cadbury. Pleased to break 90 minutes.

Managed to nail a double bodyweight front squat this morning so was happy with that
Questionable depth but Iā€™ll take it given in a Powerlifter :smiley:

Always love reading about Chuck Vogelpohl
Dude is one crazy ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 
http://messfit.com/rad-chuck-vogelpohl-story/

Been experimenting with some extra volume in my training sessions via means of little ā€œhypertrophyā€ circuits both as a warm up/before my main movement and as a finisher at the end of the workout.
I got the idea after I found the training log of someone being trained by Matt Wenning (used to train at Westside barbell, has been a record holder in both multiply and unequipped powerlifting and is well known for training military folk)

Basically the idea is you pick 3 ā€œlaggingā€ muscle groups and do 3-4 rounds of a circuit before your main movement. It takes a while to build your conditioning up so it doesnā€™t affect your main movement (in my case one of bench, squat or deadlift) but I definitely have noticed Iā€™ve gotten stronger quicker in those areas.
For me I picked triceps, side delts and lats for my bench (typically do 3-4x10-15 of band pressdowns, side raises and pullovers) and upper back, abs and low back for my squat & deadlift (3-4x10-15 seated rows, leg raises cos I really suck at them and reverse hypers/back raises)
Iā€™ve taken the idea a step further and do another 3-4 rounds of a circuit at the end of the workout

eg my speed (or what some might call light) bench day

1. swings with a mace bell to loosen up shoulders (do 10-15 reps of every direction my shoulders will go in)
  2. pre-workout hypertrophy circuit 3-4x10-15 tricep extensions, side raises and pullovers
  3. push ups or bench press with earthquake bar & kettlebells 3x15 (i use these sets to gauge where Iā€™m tight/sore and do a bit of stretching/SMR in between each set)
  4. speed bench - 9 sets of 3 with about 40% of a 1rm & 25% worth of bands/chains
  5. close grip bench - take 3-5 sets to work up to a 6, 8 or 10 rep max
  6. tricep extensions (done with barbell or dumbbell) - sets of 8-12 reps doing enough sets to hit 60-70 reps total
  7. rows (prefer chest supported on this day as I squat/deadlift heavy the next day and donā€™t want to fry my lower back) - 4-5 sets of 10-15 reps
  8. finisher hypertrophy circuit - 3-4 rounds of a circuit consisting of abs (as Louie Simmons says: train them first and last always!), side delts, rear/posterior delts and biceps

Probably would advise against this much volume if youā€™re just a regular gym goer with no superhuman goals (and definitely not if youā€™re in a calorie deficit), but I definitely think you can apply the principles to shorten your trips to the gym
eg if youā€™re training chest/shoulders on a certain day

• bench press (flat or decline)
  • incline press
  • shoulder press
  • circuit consisting of chest flies, side raises and rear delts (you can throw abs in here as well)
Ergh, work is importing a type of squat machine for the club Unfortunately all I forecast is players with sore knees

Update from a fitness staff member on the $10,000 squat machine Essendon had to have and my work gave to them for free - ā€œyeah . . . no ones used it yetā€