Health & Fitness

Yeah I saw that. Crazy strong lady
That Jezza bloke from the IPF in NZ just squatted 440x2 in sleeves as well

197cm, 177kg of Russian muscle lol

In an effort to get back to down to my fighting weight of 87 kgs I have been following Ori Hofmeklerā€™s ā€œWarrior Dietā€ (only eat in a 8 hour window each day) as well as throwing in a 24 hour fast each week and have found it very effective. It has helped me to knock off 4 kgs in the past month, back to 90, which feels much better on my knees walking up and down the hills, and I donā€™t feel like I am starving myself in anyway. Even on the days where I have fasted for 24 hours I am still eating at either 7pm or 8pm on the day depending on when I last ate the night before.

I have never dieted and always prefer to just eat healthily, but as I have aged I found it harder to drop the extra kgs as I am not running around playing footy anymore, or carrying webbing and a pack, and this has allowed me to continue to enjoy the food I want to eat, but still drop weight. I am still working out and havenā€™t found that I have lost any muscle or strength, so that is a good thing.

For anyone looking to drop some weight and get some of the health benefits of fasting I would recommend giving it a go. There are some good vids on the interwebs if you are interested in the health benefits of fasting. Check out BBCs Michael Mosley, he has done a show on this and from this he wrote the 5:2 Diet. Brad Pilon has also put out some good stuff on this, ā€œEat Stop Eatā€.

Iā€™ve seen a few people now do well on IF
I think itā€™s about 72 hours that they recommend as the longest fast duration, as any longer your metabolism will start to adapt (and by that I mean slow down)

I've seen a few people now do well on IF I think it's about 72 hours that they recommend as the longest fast duration, as any longer your metabolism will start to adapt (and by that I mean slow down)

The first 16 - 18 hours see the biggest spike in benefits which then level off. The benefits from IF are very similar to those that we get when we work out. I think combining the two is a good way to go.

I did an exercise in the Army where we went without food for seven days, whilst patrolling the chillly, rolling ranges at Waiouru Military Camp, NZ. We did get a live chicken on day five that we had to keep alive until day seven, when we could then eat it. Very interesting to see how people reacted to lack of food and sleep, or even butchering and eating an animal.

Funnily enough I still feel a bit anxious in the evening before the 24 hour fast, even though I know I have gone much longer without food and donā€™t have any issues on the day. Black coffee really helps!

Completely unrelated to anything above but Iā€™ve just got back into the gym after becoming vegetarian. I was wondering if my strength was going to drop but was pleasantly surprised it hadnā€™t. Donā€™t know if itā€™s the same for anyone else but before I did all this a mate said just keep up the eggs, nuts and leafy greens like kale and youā€™ll be right. Havenā€™t missed a beat and those 5 kilo hand weights are copping a hiding again. Hello ladies.

Anyone else here gluten free despite not being coeliac? I had a massively bloated stomach for a week, and I had put on no weight whatsoever. The doctor basically told me it was stress, but I thought Iā€™d try to cut out gluten. About five days later, my stomach has returned to normal and I donā€™t feel discomfort after eating. My mum knows a few people who have had the same issue, but are not coeliac. It seems that itā€™s becoming quite common. Iā€™ve found decent gluten free bread, but I love crumpets, crackers, cereal and biscuits, Iā€™m hanging out for them :ā€™(

The owner of a previous business i worked for would feel like absolute ā– ā– ā– ā–  after a huge weekend of pasta. which sucked for her with her being italian.

Anyone else here gluten free despite not being coeliac? I had a massively bloated stomach for a week, and I had put on no weight whatsoever. The doctor basically told me it was stress, but I thought I'd try to cut out gluten. About five days later, my stomach has returned to normal and I don't feel discomfort after eating. My mum knows a few people who have had the same issue, but are not coeliac. It seems that it's becoming quite common. I've found decent gluten free bread, but I love crumpets, crackers, cereal and biscuits, I'm hanging out for them :'(

i did it for awhile cos celiac disease runs in my family and i was having stomach issues, and it had similar effect on me as you describe.
turns out i just had a stomach ulcer.

be careful though, while you may have been just bloated and didnā€™t put on weight with gluten, alot of gluten free food is very very high in carbs, so you can put on weight very easily without realising it.

also, anyone know where the hell you can buy a landmine thingy ? ā– ā– ā– ā–  they are hard to find.

Anyone else here gluten free despite not being coeliac? I had a massively bloated stomach for a week, and I had put on no weight whatsoever. The doctor basically told me it was stress, but I thought I'd try to cut out gluten. About five days later, my stomach has returned to normal and I don't feel discomfort after eating. My mum knows a few people who have had the same issue, but are not coeliac. It seems that it's becoming quite common. I've found decent gluten free bread, but I love crumpets, crackers, cereal and biscuits, I'm hanging out for them :'(
I stopped eating it at the same time I cut out meat and started getting acupuncture and I couldn't figure out what made me feel best until I accidentally ate some normal bread. I blew up and felt like ā– ā– ā– ā– . I actually feel happier after eating something gf. I did a bit of research and the most interesting stuff was theory on how the gluten binds the stomach lining which may prevent the brain talking to the stomach cells which make you feel good. Just a theory but I'm running with it anyway. Hi joy problem with gf foods is just because you eat them doesn't mean there aren't 7.9 metric tons of sugar waiting inside.
also, anyone know where the hell you can buy a landmine thingy ? ā– ā– ā– ā–  they are hard to find.

Surprisingly so lol
Are you after a standalone unit, rack mounted unit or the one that inserts into a bumper plate?

Surprisingly so lol
Are you after a standalone unit, rack mounted unit or the one that inserts into a bumper plate?

Any of the above. I can work around whatever i can get.

Anyone tried the CSIRO diet?

I stopped eating it at the same time I cut out meat and started getting acupuncture and I couldn't figure out what made me feel best until I accidentally ate some normal bread. I blew up and felt like ā– ā– ā– ā– . I actually feel happier after eating something gf. I did a bit of research and the most interesting stuff was theory on how the gluten binds the stomach lining which may prevent the brain talking to the stomach cells which make you feel good. Just a theory but I'm running with it anyway. Hi joy problem with gf foods is just because you eat them doesn't mean there aren't 7.9 metric tons of sugar waiting inside.

Read the books Wheat Belly or Grain Brain, if you want to know about the joys of gluten and potential affects on health and well being. Seems to be a bigger problem nowadays due to the selective breeding of wheat types and the departure from what was once more of an ancient grain type, but is now so modified that perhaps the body just sees it as a irritant.

The research shows that up to 90% of your serotonin is made in the gut. The link between serotonin and feeling good goes without saying. Could be that the irritation in the gut from the gluten/wheat causes an imbalance in the serotonin uptake for some people.

I never had a problem with bread and pasta, until I quit it for a few months.

Now one bowl of pasta or anything with white flour in it feels like a small guerilla war in my guts and I go up a belt size for a day.

Rye-bread is ok.

I havenā€™t, but every nutritionist/dietician I know say itā€™s the biggest piece of turd imaginable

Surprisingly so lol

Thereā€™s not exactly a plethora of options, but hopefully from these you can find what youā€™re after
http://www.alphafit.com.au/conditioning/rotational-core-training/

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/fitness-equipment/conditioning/landmine-core-trainer/

My step-Mum had a lot of success on the CSIRO diet. Pretty sure she still follows it.

But any calorie cutting diet will have an affect at the start. So who knows.

I havenā€™t, but every nutritionist/dietician I know say itā€™s the biggest piece of turd imaginable

Surprisingly so lol

Thereā€™s not exactly a plethora of options, but hopefully from these you can find what youā€™re after
http://www.alphafit.com.au/conditioning/rotational-core-training/

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/fitness-equipment/conditioning/landmine-core-trainer/

thanks again, will look into it. your littleblokefitness tip for last time paid off :slight_smile: