Health & Fitness

This study showed that after 2 minutes you get around 8% improvement in ROM (vs 2% after 2x10 seconds in the above study) so clearly there are fast diminishing gains when foam rolling

Nice post Eastie and thanks for the heads up on Beardsley. Check out Scott Iardella, you will like his podcasts as he likes to get in to the latest studies as well.

I am on week 5 of a 6 week functional hypertrophy program from Rdella Training and feeling the effects of the increased load and reps. Eating like a beast to try and put some fuel back into the system and yet still dropping body fat percentage all whilst putting on size. Which all in all is great considering I hit the big 50 in Jan. I started the program so that I would finish it just before my b’day.

The intermittent fasting has also been great in really helping to cut down weight and also just to feel a truck load better. To help with the fasting I have been having a “bulletproof” coffee in the morning, albeit without the MCT oil. Just good unsalted grass fed butter whizzed into my french press coffee with some cinnamon keeps me going until about 1-2 each day until I have my first meal. Sounds yuck, but is surprisingly tasty. Has a great mouth feel too.

Nice post Eastie and thanks for the heads up on Beardsley. Check out Scott Iardella, you will like his podcasts as he likes to get in to the latest studies as well.

I am on week 5 of a 6 week functional hypertrophy program from Rdella Training and feeling the effects of the increased load and reps. Eating like a beast to try and put some fuel back into the system and yet still dropping body fat percentage all whilst putting on size. Which all in all is great considering I hit the big 50 in Jan. I started the program so that I would finish it just before my b’day.

The intermittent fasting has also been great in really helping to cut down weight and also just to feel a truck load better. To help with the fasting I have been having a “bulletproof” coffee in the morning, albeit without the MCT oil. Just good unsalted grass fed butter whizzed into my french press coffee with some cinnamon keeps me going until about 1-2 each day until I have my first meal. Sounds yuck, but is surprisingly tasty. Has a great mouth feel too.

are you ‘fat adapted’ ?

are you ‘fat adapted’ ?

I would have to think that I am becoming that through daily intermittent fasting (14-16 hours) and a 24 hour fast once a week. I only exercise in a fasted state to push the body to burn fat rather than burning carbs and I am not losing muscle mass, but certainly dropping body fat.

I’ve decided to go on a course of HGH for 6 weeks to see if I feel a difference to my overall health.
It’s expensive as f*ck as I’m going through local channels to obtain pharma grade HGH legally.
At age 46 now, I’m feeling the stiffness in the joints, and the little aches and pains more than I was 6 years ago.
However, the biggest difference, is that I barely ever get a proper restful nights sleep.
The pro I keep reading about HGH is that most report their sleep improves noticeably.
I want to begin weight training again after a 5 year lay off, and I certainly believe it can aid in recovery.

Are there any Blitzers who have been on HGH, and what are your experiences ?
I will use this thread to report my results throughout.

Would be pretty surprised if anyone here has used HGH.
Iirc Reddit has a whole section dedicated to steroid and PEDs.

Purely related to sleep, I used Phenibut pretty regularly and that makes a massive difference, particularly if I train at night then have to get to sleep an hour later (I had to switch from mornings to nights recently and I’d run out of caps ages ago; lack of sleep really hit me like a tonne of bricks after a fortnight).
Found it works best used 3-4 nights a week over a month at on or just above the highest recommended dose, with 1-2 weeks off before repeating

are you ‘fat adapted’ ?

I would have to think that I am becoming that through daily intermittent fasting (14-16 hours) and a 24 hour fast once a week. I only exercise in a fasted state to push the body to burn fat rather than burning carbs and I am not losing muscle mass, but certainly dropping body fat.

how do you find your energy levels when exercising in fasted state?

I did keto a while ago, fantastic tasting diet. Loved it. morning coffee had me super charged all morning, made with coconut oil. Found my emotions much more stable on that diet. I have stressful job and prone to mood sings, but not on that diet. Dropped fat, skin/hair were really glowing. Never ate so many veggies per day in my life and felt fantastic, after the sugar cravings disappeared.

But, had trouble doing heavy weights without some hi GI carbs (lollies) half -hour before workout. Couldn’t lift for as long as used to prior to the diet

I quit it though cause my wife complained by body was turning ‘acidic’. I wont divulge how she came to the conclusion but was show stopper for me.

^ did you tell her we are meant to be acidic lol?

are you ‘fat adapted’ ?

I did keto a while ago, fantastic tasting diet. Loved it. morning coffee had me super charged all morning, made with coconut oil. Found my emotions much more stable on that diet. I have stressful job and prone to mood sings, but not on that diet. Dropped fat, skin/hair were really glowing. Never ate so many veggies per day in my life and felt fantastic, after the sugar cravings disappeared.

But, had trouble doing heavy weights without some hi GI carbs (lollies) half -hour before workout. Couldn’t lift for as long as used to prior to the diet

I quit it though cause my wife complained by body was turning ‘acidic’. I wont divulge how she came to the conclusion but was show stopper for me.

I generally go for my lunch run. pre eating anything since breakfast and don’t normally have a problem with it.
Occasionally you will have a day where you just feel flat and have to slow down,

My wife and I tried a bit of a paleo diet, but not like full paleo, just like eat a lot more vegies and protein with less carbs, and less processed ■■■■. I even gave up chocolate and only have dark chocolate now which was biitter at first but tastes sweeter now.

I think having a higher fat/protein and less carb diet helps you burning fat. Also think its good to do exercise in a bit of a fasted state as it helps you burn the fats. sometimes I do 20-30km runs pre breakfast with only water on run.

are you ‘fat adapted’ ?

sometimes I do 20-30km runs pre breakfast with only water on run.

Fark !
Chess would know more, but that’s virtually Marathon level training distances.
You’re not messing around.

Catching up on this thread

I’ve found myself steering away from gluten-y foods because through trial and error I found that bread/pasta/etc would leave me feeling tired for a couple of hours afterwards compared with other foods (varied depending on type of bread/pasta/etc). I wouldn’t put that down to an intolerance as such, but tend to avoid them now anyway. My diet contains far more lentils and beans nowadays.

Great post there Eastie_Boi with all the research stuff. #17 didn’t make much sense, but then again I’ve only just worked out that a nagging hip/back soreness that’s been bugging me for nearly a year is fixed by extra stretching of the quads, so who knows what the fk really goes on with our bodies.

Did my first marathon a few weeks ago. The marathon was relatively easy compared to all the training I did for it. So I guess the training did it’s job. My time was just under 5.5 hours, but apparently it’s a prik of a course (winner did it in 2:40something) so on a nice flat circuit I could probably cut 40-ish minutes off that.

Now currently trying to get my body from “steady straight line jogging” to “fast accelerating change of direction” status. Boy oh boy.

1 Like

Congrats Simmo.
It’s an unbelievable feeling when you cross that line, no matter what level runner you are.

Great post there Eastie_Boi with all the research stuff. #17 didn't make much sense, but then again I've only just worked out that a nagging hip/back soreness that's been bugging me for nearly a year is fixed by extra stretching of the quads, so who knows what the fk really goes on with our bodies.

Not relating specifically to your case (which I suspect is more to do with the interplay between rectus femoris and the lumbar extensors and how they influence pelvis angle which in turn influences the stress on the sacroiliac and sacrolumbar joints), but to understand how stretching/massaging say the lower leg could potentially influence shoulder flexibility you need to think of the human body as a single, big web of chemical bonds controlled by electrical signals. The greater the electrical signal, the stronger the chemical bond. When we stretch or massage we cause a drop in that electrical signal, which reduces the chemical bonds and allows a greater range of movement. As the body is a single organism it can’t completely disassociate signal reductions occurring in different areas of the body, so you get a regional transfer effect.
Keep in mind this is largely theoretical, as no one has even come close to proving WHY massage or stretching works except to rule out a physical/mechanical lengthening of muscle or connective tissue. It’s also hypothesised that left leg will crossover to right shoulder, and right leg to left shoulder due to the way the layers of connective tissue (specifically fascia) span across the body

Now currently trying to get my body from “steady straight line jogging” to “fast accelerating change of direction” status. Boy oh boy.

That comment really took me back to the middle period of my Marathon training.
I was consistently pumping out distances of 18km, 20km, half marathon, without too many dramas.

Then one day, a mate at work invited me down to the Aquatic Centre for some 2 on 2 basketball.The other guys were basketball fit, and it showed.
My training had not prepared me, even slightly, for the brutal intensity of sprinting, changing direction, jumping, along with the associated constant body contact.

That session f*cked me, big time !

That comment really took me back to the middle period of my Marathon training.
I was consistently pumping out distances of 18km, 20km, half marathon, without too many dramas.

Then one day, a mate at work invited me down to the Aquatic Centre for some 2 on 2 basketball.The other guys were basketball fit, and it showed.
My training had not prepared me, even slightly, for the brutal intensity of sprinting, changing direction, jumping, along with the associated constant body contact.

That session f*cked me, big time !

I would definitely agree with anyone who said multi directional interval training transfers a lot better to middle/long distance than visa versa

yeah we’re talking ‘taste’ here …

pineapple juice anyone :wink:

are you ‘fat adapted’ ?

It is strange but I think my energy levels have actually been higher since I started intermittent fasting. I normally do my workouts first up in the morning, grab the jacked coffee and then straight into working on the farm. On a normal day after I break anywhere from 12 - 2pm to grab first meal and then back to work. We live in a valley so the property is on some nice slopes and I notice if I have energy or not by how hard it feels walking up the hills carrying fencing gear. On Sunday when I do the 24 hour fast it is amazing how many jobs I can get through around the property before 7pm.

I haven’t changed the rest of my diet as we are pretty good and living where we do we have to cook all our own meals anyways, so no junk food. Lots of veggies, pulses, grass fed meats and fish. Also try to eat a heap of fibre to keep everything down there working. I do have a cheat day on Thursday where I may break out and have a glass of milo, or a choc bar or bag of chips, but that is good to do once in a while.

Haha! “Acidic”! I hope that all is good with the missus again on that front.

1 Like
I've decided to go on a course of HGH for 6 weeks to see if I feel a difference to my overall health. It's expensive as f*ck as I'm going through local channels to obtain pharma grade HGH legally. At age 46 now, I'm feeling the stiffness in the joints, and the little aches and pains more than I was 6 years ago. However, the biggest difference, is that I barely ever get a proper restful nights sleep. The pro I keep reading about HGH is that most report their sleep improves noticeably. I want to begin weight training again after a 5 year lay off, and I certainly believe it can aid in recovery.

Are there any Blitzers who have been on HGH, and what are your experiences ?
I will use this thread to report my results throughout.

Interested to know how your HGH trials go. Why HGH and not testosterone?

If you are looking to improve sleep then try magnesium supplementation. I know that when I was full on stressed in the past from active duty or the joys of boardroom work hours taking magnesium helped deal with increased cortisol due to stress and it helped me get to sleep easier. Without it I would get restless legs or just toss and turn all night.

Our ancient soils in Australia are severely depleted in magnesium and so our leafy greens don’t take up as much as they could. If you workout and/or sweat a lot, then you could be depleted.

Diet WILL not turn you acidic. You're body tightly regulates your pH. A ketogenic diet however will give you shocking breath.

And when you talk pH of the body what part do you mean? Blood pH is usually 7.35-7.45 is slightly alkaline but pretty close to neutral.