Health & Fitness

Anyone here do much swimming?

Ive been heading to the pool recently for some swimming sessions and it’s quite funny how bad I am.

Ive been watching youtube vids on technique and reading forum posts and Im basically making all of the common mistakes, but I’m enjoying the challenge of putting it all together.

Its hard to work on fixing too many things at once, but since i breathe every 4 strokes, my last session the mantra in my head was: Down, Rotate, Exhale, Side.

Down - head down so your legs dont sink and drag
Rotate - swivel the hips so to glide better
Exhale - breathe all the way out so you can replace all of tne air in your lungs
Side - breathe to the side, one goggle still in the water

Focusing on that mantra, one word per stroke, seemed to work well and id finish each lap with a bit left in the tank, only requiring around 30 secs rest at the start of the session but lengthening to 1:30 towards the end.

I’m hoping to get to the stage where I can do 10x100m in 30 mins or 1500m in an hour, so hopefully working on better form will get me there (along with more hours in the water).

Ive been heading to the pool recently for some swimming sessions and it’s quite funny how bad I am.

Ive been watching youtube vids on technique and reading forum posts and Im basically making all of the common mistakes, but I’m enjoying the challenge of putting it all together.

Its hard to work on fixing too many things at once, but since i breathe every 4 strokes, my last session the mantra in my head was: Down, Rotate, Exhale, Side.

Exhale - breathe all the way out so you can replace all of tne air in your lungs

Focusing on that mantra, one word per stroke, seemed to work well and id finish each lap with a bit left in the tank, only requiring around 30 secs rest at the start of the session but lengthening to 1:30 towards the end.

I’m hoping to get to the stage where I can do 10x100m in 30 mins or 1500m in an hour, so hopefully working on better form will get me there (along with more hours in the water).

Good on you for getting into swimming! Can’t say it is something I am great at or even do a lot of now that I am on the farm and it is one of the reasons why I joined the Army and not the Navy!

Have you looked in to the Total Immersion technique? Check out this vide from a TED talk by Tim Ferris.

p.s. Tim Ferris has written some great books. Well worth the read.

Good on you for getting into swimming! Can’t say it is something I am great at or even do a lot of now that I am on the farm and it is one of the reasons why I joined the Army and not the Navy!

Have you looked in to the Total Immersion technique? Check out this vide from a TED talk by Tim Ferris.

p.s. Tim Ferris has written some great books. Well worth the read.

Thanks for this, it looks interesting. Im such a novice im not sure what the key differences are between what he is talking about and what im already doing but i will start researching.

Ive definitely noticed by putting my head deeper than i was and looking down that my legs sort of float without kicking, whereas before when i was looking a bit forward i had to kick heaps or my legs would sink/drag. This was made worse when id breathe as my head would come up and legs would go down even more and so all my energy was going into my kick.

That guys form in the vid was pretty effortless, i want that for myself…

Definitely keep your head down as far as comfortable. The best tip I have ever received is to extend your forward stroke as far as you can and then imagine you are grabbing onto something (i.e the edge of the pool) and pulling yourself forward. I reckon it maximises the power you get out of each stroke, certainly increased my speed and efficiency.

I don’t any more, but I used to do about 5 sessions a week, 1500 metres each time. My par time was 30 minutes for 1500 metres. When I started I could barely manage 100 metres before my shoulders hurt so much I had to stop, but I found it pretty easy to increase that and was doing the 1500 non-stop within about 3-4 weeks.

Of your 4-step mantra I would say that by far the most important is breathing out fully before you turn your head to take a breath. I used to really blow out hard, and then I never had to worry the slightest about refilling the lungs; it just happened as soon as I opened my mouth.

Second most important is keeping the head down so that you’re level in the water.

I taught myself to breathe both sides. It was hard at first but I soon got into the rhythm of it and found it easy to set up a three-stroke pattern of right-left-right and breathe, left-right-left and breathe. You can go on more or less indefinitely like that.

I gave it up because I found that the chlorinated water was murder on my skin. If I lived close to the sea I’d swim every day. The ideal is one of those pools they have around the harbor in Sydney where they pump the seawater straight in and through.

Does anyone else find Vegans on the Internet or YouTube as annoying as I do ?

Yes. Lol

Why are you limiting it to the internet, surely vegans are annoying everywhere.

*apologies to any vegans reading this.

I haven’t met them “everywhere” yet, but give me time.
I did go out with a girl briefly once who was a Vegan.
Her name was Rebel !

I haven’t met them “everywhere” yet, but give me time.
I did go out with a girl briefly once who was a Vegan.
Her name was Rebel !

Vegan/Vegetarian old Indian words for bad hunter

Interval runs in the middle of the day in the heat. WTF was I thinking?

1 Like

You weren’t? Lol

Kudos to you.
That is dedication.

I’m half dead when I do a 12min circuit in the garage !

It’s a pyramid one so the intervals are short (max 55sec) and total of 17mins but I was exhausted after, and dogs weren’t much better!

I’ve developed a morbid curiousity watching people do the 10,000 calorie in a day food challenge (drinks not included).

How do they do it ?

I even saw 1 guy, a cyclist no more than 65-70kg, smash down 50,000 calories in under 50hrs…WTF ?

I've developed a morbid curiousity watching people do the 10,000 calorie in a day food challenge (drinks not included).

How do they do it ?

I even saw 1 guy, a cyclist no more than 65-70kg, smash down 50,000 calories in under 50hrs…WTF ?

Practise
There’s a tiny Asian dude that does the Michael Phelps 12,000 calories comfortably in a sitting

I don’t any more, but I used to do about 5 sessions a week, 1500 metres each time. My par time was 30 minutes for 1500 metres. When I started I could barely manage 100 metres before my shoulders hurt so much I had to stop, but I found it pretty easy to increase that and was doing the 1500 non-stop within about 3-4 weeks.

Of your 4-step mantra I would say that by far the most important is breathing out fully before you turn your head to take a breath. I used to really blow out hard, and then I never had to worry the slightest about refilling the lungs; it just happened as soon as I opened my mouth.

Second most important is keeping the head down so that you’re level in the water.

I taught myself to breathe both sides. It was hard at first but I soon got into the rhythm of it and found it easy to set up a three-stroke pattern of right-left-right and breathe, left-right-left and breathe. You can go on more or less indefinitely like that.

I gave it up because I found that the chlorinated water was murder on my skin. If I lived close to the sea I’d swim every day. The ideal is one of those pools they have around the harbor in Sydney where they pump the seawater straight in and through.

Hey, thanks for this, just saw it now. Ive been getting to the pool only once sometimes twice a week, it now takes me around 45mins to do 1km. I had also read its beneficial as you suggested to breathe on alternate sides so ive been making sure i do half my laps like that, or even fully on my non-dominant side.

I feel pretty unco like that, but i guess i need to develop good habits. Also i breathe on that side like i used to on my good side (lifting my head up forward, etc), so hopefully it catches up pretty quickly.

Anyway, its good fun, something different from all the running and lifting.

This is the UnHealth thread, right?

At the end of last year I had a large melanoma cut off my left earlobe, though it was only diagnosed as that afterwards.

@Dunlop can attest to how large it was.

Melanomas that size, overtly growing and ulcerated (as this was) are usually pretty bad news; they are much more likely to spread to other parts of the body and then you are in pretty deep doo-doo.

So far, no spread beyond the earlobe has been identified. I had a PET/CT scan where they inject radioactive sugar into you then look where it has accumulated an hour later: tumours are greedy little buggers and therefore give themselves away by grabbing lots of that sugar. That scan covered the whole body and showed no oddities.

Because the brain also has a sugar fetish, a PET scan is useless there. So an MRI scan (think of that of as a 3D x-ray that displays soft tissue instead of bones) was also done of the brain and head. It showed nothing in the brain.

Have done lots of other stuff at Box Hill Hospital and now Peter Mac: blood tests, checking my many other moles, etc, and earlier this week a “sentinel node biopsy” operation to identify and remove the first lymph node downstream of the original cancer — if it is clear of melanoma cells that is a good indication (combined with the previous tests) that the cancer may have been dumb enough to keep all its eggs in the one basket, which is now chopped off.

During the two hour surgery they also chopped off more ear and removed a couple BCCs (minor skin cancers) elsewhere. I can’t tell you what the trimmed ear looks like because it’s under wraps at the moment!

If that lymph node includes melanoma cells, things get messier. In the worst case that melanoma were to spread to distant parts of the body at some later stage, the last few years have seen a large improvement in treatment options, especially using immunotherapy drugs that are often more effective than radiation or traditional chemo treatment and almost always have lesser side effects.

Anyway, wait till next week for results (done a lot of waiting the last couple months).

… and in other news, my back is soooooo much better after two sessions with an osteopath. Should have done that years ago…

6 Likes

The lymphatic system definitely isn’t the place you want cancer (not that there are any that you do) given it’s the primary source of your immune system

Best of luck mate, think all of blitz wants to see you healthy and calling VFL games for a long time to come.

6 Likes