Health & Fitness

Bit tricky without equipment.
First thing that pops to mind is sprints on a slight (iir around 10deg) gradient (both up and down).
Skipping may also develop Achilles tendon stiffness which may help improve energy transfer.
Then there’s obviously running technique.

1 Like

Cheers.
Anything helps and a starting point is always good.

Best things to improve speed are leg strength and running technique .

1 Like

I’d just let him have fun at this stage.

3 Likes

Absolutely but it was his call.
Bear in mind he asked me to take him to the oval during his holidays so he could run laps…the boy is keen. I keep making sure he is having fun as well.

4 Likes

So, three months ago I jumped on the scales and shocked the ■■■■ out of myself. Had been a couch potato for far too long. Since then I’ve dropped 17kg, am training for a half marathon, back into the gym for the first time in 5 or so years and feeling great. My diet is the best it’s ever been and I’m probably only a few kilos away from being back to where I was when I was in my mid 20s.

3 Likes

Have tried this a few times. Seems to go fine without getting too hungry. I might get a bit more serious about it soon when I get closer to where I want to be. I did a 24 hour fast recently and then ran an extra 7km on top of my PB. There’s something in this.

Only drawback was that I strained a patella.

Some interesting research coming out of fasting. It can put you into a cellular process call phagocytosis which is effectively your cells cleaning themselves up by eating up and disposing of the weak links. Might even be close to an anti-aging effect.

Obviously you need to then eat some decent grub to kick back into normal cellular process.

“An opioid sets off a chain of immune signals in the spinal cord that amplifies pain rather than dulling it, even after the drug leaves the body, the researchers found.”

This was part of the reason codeine is no longer available over the counter.

1 Like

I’m curious as to the results of that antibiotic study they mention.
Though undoubtedly there’d be side effects from that treatment as well.

leg strength yes, technique dunno as it will probably change as he grows.

But just get him to practice 20m sprints then anything up to 200m repeat sprints.

footy is about being fast…get the ball, breakway from stoppage…but also endurance late in the game, thats where the repeat sprints might be good for him if hes a midfielder.

If hes a forward, he probably only needs to worry about takeoff speed…(20m sprints) but that also includes early bodywork on opposition player so he can get a free run at it with pace.

1 Like

I’ve been counting calories (to a greater or lesser degree of exactness) for years and it’s taught me a lot. But I’ve got slack the last year or so and put on about 4 kilos. So I started the 5:2 plan on Monday; second fast day will be tomorrow. I’ll see how it goes over the next month.

Recovery Q.
Im doing F45 and really enjoying it.
Im 43 and the DOMS is kind of preventing me from training consecutive days.

Im taking fish oil,magnesium,foam roller.

Anything else can improve recovery?
Cheers

nerve pain is the worst. yuk.

1 Like

Question 1 needs to be - do you need to train consecutive days?

Otherwise, isolating the recovery of muscles from tendons, ligaments and the nervous system for a second, increasing calories is the only non-pharmaceutical option to improve recovery (until your body has well and truly adapted to the training if it ever gets there).

1 Like

Ah cool.
Yeah this is about consistency and injury prevention so maybe the rest day is the go.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Today the doctor confirmed that I have a little hernia, found through an ultrasound scan. It was unexpected as I was not experiencing any pain whatsoever, and the ultrasound scan was actually to check out a lump (it turns out to be nothing). The doctor said I will need to have surgery and I can’t avoid it.

I am just wondering if anyone had a hernia before, and what the recovery was like, and is there anything I might want to know that the doctors might not bother to tell me?