Health & Fitness

They always tell me to lose weight so I’d suggest a dietitian.

5 Likes

I reckon a doctor from a sports medicine clinic is best. I’ve been to one at 250 Collins Street quite a few times and what they’ve said has always made sense. Sometimes the doctor has done the treatment; other times the doctor’s referred me to a physio. Melbourne Sports Medicine. It’s a big clinic and very busy and they have all the different services there.

1 Like

Plantar fasciitis maybe?
Have you been doing an increased amount of running/walking?

Sports Doc/good physio would be the best bet.
I never go to a GP unless I want a referral for a scan so it costs less (or nothing if I can find somewhere that bulk bills)

That’s what it sounds like to me…

Agree. Freeze a bottle of water and then use it for rolling under your foot. Oh and rest…but you know.

I’ve probably run less this year than late last year, but yeah I went from not running for 12 months (due to an awful pregnancy) to running again, but I did the C210k so built up slowly.

Also the pains not in my heel but further forward and what I can see of plantar fasciitis it’s usually heel pain.

I have Pilates today so I’ll ask my physio and I’ve got a podiatrist on Friday - my orthotics are over due for review anyway.

I have heard a golf ball can be used as well on the foot if its plantar, like a massage of foot to help remove pain, get bloodflow there etc.

I have a small spiky ball which got from a sports store, its good too just feels nice.

when my PF was at it’s worst, the first few steps after rest were the main issue - ie, either getting out of bed, or getting up from a chair - it was excruciating. And it did tend to be further back under the heel, but sometimes radiated up to the middle of the foot.

I had a cortisone injection which got rid of it for a month, but then it came back (not unexpected really!). So I ended up having a few rounds of electro shock wave therapy, which killed, but did the trick.

Now it tends to stay away if I make sure I wear good shoes, and try not to walk around bare foot (which I used to do a lot!). It’s worth investing in some good quality thongs so you have something to slip into as soon as you get out of bed - Hoka make a really good one.

If I wear crap shoes a couple of days in a row I feel it start pretty well straight away, and I realllllly don’t want it back again!!

No, the plantar fascia definitely runs along the arch.
Podiatrists are a good one to ask, there are exercises and stretches you can do. And possibly change in shoes.

Yeah, the physio think it is. I think my runners are fine but it’s my other shoes that are a problem. Definitely need something thats not thongs

Not sure if anyone follows/has done weightlifting, but this save is ridiculous

1 Like

Just completed my first ever beep test - got a 12.1
■■■■ me they are hard.

I’m a 33 year old male, seems to be an OK score as far as I can tell? Anyone else ever done one?

What do the kids at the draft normally get?

They stopped doing the beep test in 2017 at the draft camp.
Average was/is 13.3. Best ever was Hartung with 16.06

https://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results.htm
https://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing.htm

1 Like

anyone fit should be able to get to ten IMO if they had a go.
12-13 is ok for your age/gender I think I ahve done similar.
the good kids at the draft were 14+

Yeah I agree. 10 seemed to be totally reasonable for anyone relatively fit. I’m gonna keep trying and aim to get to 13. If I can achieve that I’ll be pretty happy for an old(ish) man!

33s young.
I’ve got a fair bit quicker last 8 years from 28 when quit local footy and focused on running marathons

33 is young, but I play in a soccer team full of 23 year old’s so sometimes I feel old around them. I can keep up during the game so guess I’m not over the hill just yet!

what ya think @Eastie_Boi1 - is this good form?

1 Like

This. Works a treat and the mindset isnt about dieting and what you can’t eat. (altho you do try to eat more healthy food).

I have lost 7 kilos on it. About another 7 to go for target weight and its been effortless.

Cant do gym. Bores the beJesus out of me.

Do sports and athletic pursuits instead.

2 Likes

I did a training 50km run couple of weeks ago @5;16 pace/km
Have a 100km race planned on the 8th September (10 x 10km laps), just my luck Essendon will get scheduled a Sunday final if we end up playing GWS.
6am start. Aiming to go under 10 hours.

3 Likes