Heath Hocking Surgery

If surgery was needed you would have to question whether this should have been diagnosed much earlier in the time since the end of last season.

Was the bubble a realistic treatment in the circumstances or did it have an air of the experiment about it to make use of the new facility?

Some information from the club about their reasons and thinking here would be interesting as there will be further medical decisions to make in the future with bubble versus other more conventional forms of treatment.

Good luck to Heath with his recovery.

can’t even remember what the injury was. I’m sure i saw footage of him being involved in the media pentathlon yesterday though.

Essendon Football Club, setting the injury management bar higher than anyone since 2005

From the outside, this has the same vibe as Kommer and Hams. That being said, if you had a 50/50 shot at recovering in an altitude room rather than a 6 week surgery, you’d have to take those odds.

Maybe the altitude room was proactive, get him as fit as possible (note he couldn’t do much running) and then send him in for surgery so after the 6 weeks he wouldn’t lose too much fitness

Will be interesting to see the call they make and whether they forego a round 1+ 2 appearance for a delayed pre season, or play him as we will need strength against the older and advanced sydney and hawthorn.

Quoted Post

Will be interesting to see the call they make and whether they forego a round 1+ 2 appearance for a delayed pre season, or play him as we will need strength against the older and advanced sydney and hawthorn.

C’mon. Everyone knows he’s not playing in rounds 1 or 2, and not injured either. The AFL have forcibly retired him from those games.

Quoted Post

can't even remember what the injury was. I'm sure i saw footage of him being involved in the media pentathlon yesterday though.

Essendon Football Club, setting the injury management bar higher than anyone since 2005

Club website said “sore groins”. That could be a multitude of issues. Said he played sore most of last season, so perhaps not terribly serious?

The dreaded OP?

And by that I don’t mean jackie mihocek.

Dunno if that can be relieved by surgery - I think the only remedy for OP is rest.

Quoted Post

Dunno if that can be relieved by surgery - I think the only remedy for OP is rest.

That’s exactly right.

Also exercises to help strengthen them is important.

Had it myself when I played footy and it sure isn’t a handy thing to have. Very frustrating injury to have and something that takes a lot of patience and commitment to remedy.

Chance for one of Melksham/O’Brien/Aylett to step into the breach.

hope he comes back strong. we need the bloke.

Club website said “sore groins”. That could be a multitude of issues. Said he played sore most of last season, so perhaps not terribly serious?

Heath didn’t perform as well last season as previously due in large part to playing with an injury so it is serious if not treated correctly.

I’m just wondering if the decision on surgery should have been made much earlier perhaps even at the end of the season based on scans etc. but I don’t know the answer to this question or how the decision was made.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
can't even remember what the injury was. I'm sure i saw footage of him being involved in the media pentathlon yesterday though.

Club website needs to realise that we all only have one groin.

Perhaps they meant “Hocking had surloins”? As in “he had many steaks”.

A reply to: @DonsForEver regarding QuoteLink

Dunno if that can be relieved by surgery - [b]I think the only remedy for OP is rest.[/b]
Not technically true, they'll run through the conservative gauntlet of treatments for it first, but if that fails the player will typically be booked in for an adductor tendon release.

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink

Heath didn’t perform as well last season as previously due in large part to playing with an injury so it is serious if not treated correctly.

I’m just wondering if the decision on surgery should have been made much earlier perhaps even at the end of the season based on scans etc. but I don’t know the answer to this question or how the decision was made.

I agree with the earlier decsion bit. Surely it’s a bit of a rookie error by doc Reid and co to not just operate 10 weeks ago!!

A reply to: @Dunlop regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @DonsForEver regarding QuoteLink
Dunno if that can be relieved by surgery - [b]I think the only remedy for OP is rest.[/b]
Not technically true, they'll run through the conservative gauntlet of treatments for it first, but if that fails the player will typically be booked in for an adductor tendon release.

Struth - that sounds drastic! One would imagine that releasing (severing?) the adductor would have side effects.

A reply to: @Scorpio regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Club website needs to realise that we all only have one groin.

I think you could refer to both the abductor and adductor tendons, on each side, as your groins.

#PrayForHeathHocking