Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho - it’s off to North he goes

Not the most improbable call that one. Apart from the coin would he relish sorting out the rats in a sack over at Princes or Victoria Park?

Compare that to a nice funded break whilst the AFL work out a Tassie side next 12 months or more. And if he’s ready for a bit of the quieter type of life down there… who knows? Stranger things have happened.

I think he will do a year in media or at the AFL itself.

I think the AFL realises an experienced coach is needed up on the Gold Coast.

Basically replicate the Brisbane story.

South East Queensland is a hawthorn retirement ground anyway.

1 Like

Let’s be absolutely honest about Clarkson - he’s a good coach, who’s had a great hand dealt to him at certain times.

He got handed a beauty of a deal with a priority pick at number 2 in the 2004 draft, in addition to pick 4 and pick 7. That brought Roughead, Franklin and Lewis to the club.

In 2005, they had pick 3 as a priority (which got them Ellis), then had pick 6 and 14. (Dowler and Birchall). They also had 18 and 22 which they used on Bailey and Muston.

So 5 top 15 picks in the space of 2 drafts - 2 of which were given to them by the AFL.

Unsurprisingly - they win a couple of flags in pretty quick time after the first priority pick.

Then, in 2013, the AFL moves heaven and earth to try to get Franklin to leave Hawthorn to spearhead the Giants. Instead, he goes to the Swans (EAD AFL). Hawthorn are given yet another first round pick as compensation. (Personally I think free agency compensation is a f**king joke but whatever).

Hawthorn then trade their compensation pick to St Kilda with their other first round draft pick - and as part of that trade deal they get Ben McEvoy, who fills Hawthorn’s ruck hole and becomes a 2 time premiership player in 2014 and 2015.

Clarkson has been a good coach - not knocking that. But he’s also had some pretty good people around him with recruiting, who are just as worthy of praise and a fair handful of luck handed out by the competition - which should always be taken into consideration when we talk about how good he is.

3 Likes

Travel the world. Funny guy.

1 Like

I would like to extend to Alastair an invitation for a night out in Glasgow…

1 Like

Just like his intention was to see out his deal at Hawthorn helping out Mitchell. He will be a coach somewhere next year, most likely collingwood

I was all in on Clarko going to the suns, but that ain’t happening. So I guess the more likely scenario is him going to GWS? And the tinfoil one is North get administrated by the AFL into going to Tassie with Clarko at the helm and all the handouts possible to get them back to finals, including different rules, biased umpires (maybe they can pay Margetts to buy a family membership to North and move the family to Tassie). This is already being kicked off with North looking to avoid using the North Melbourne part of their name. Thoughts?

What’s Hinkley contract situation. I can see Port moving him on as been there a while and hasn’t gotten the most out of the list on a consistent basis. It’s a decent list, Clarko has coached there before and it’s the kind of move Kochie would go for.

1 Like

Clako

4 Likes

Welcome Clarko

I chose west coast, because no reasons.

1 Like

The obvious answer for a dwarf is not in the options. St Kilda. They love to burn small people there.

4 Likes

Clarkson will be used to rescue North IMO.

Either them playing in North Melbourne or in Tassie

AFL would be looking to the success of Fagan(associate of Clarkson) at Brisbane who were in similar shambles to North.

GWS is being rescued by the house of Sheedy.

He will go to GWS. No way he will take on any club that is in the middle of a rebuild.

4 Likes

Agree. He’s only coming back to win Premierships and with a team he thinks he can do it with quickly. There is quite a few 4 time Premiership coaches. There are only four coaches with 5+. None in the last 50 years. If he can do that he elevates and separates himself from Matthews, Sheedy, Parkin, etc

4 Likes

What team does the AFL want to be successful. Work that out and that’s your answer.

GWS before anyone else IMO.

Depends on how GWS finish the year

If the bounce remains with McVeigh Hird and Solomon I can see those three continuing.

North needs a whole new setup.

Gold Coast, Stewie is coaching for his life…

Clarkson does get a say….

1 Like

He’ll coach GWS. McVeigh isn’t ready and hasn’t really impressed. Plus I think care taker coach appointments are out of favour following Shaw and Teague.

1 Like

This club has an absolute duty to its members and supporters to throw the biggest red & black kitchen sink at Clarkson. And I don’t care if we win every single game for the rest of the year under Rutten (which we clearly won’t).

Nothing personal against Rutten. No, I’m not happy with how 2022 has panned out but I think some of this may have been beyond his control. He still has a role to play in football but it may not be with us.

When the ilk of Clarkson comes on the coaching market and we’ve had the year we’ve had and underperformed (4-11) … the club has an obligation to try and get him. If the answer is no or he wants to go elsewhere, we’ve done what we can.

Unfortunately though the rest is predictable. We’ll win a fair share of dead rubber games in the last 7 weeks of the season, get everyone feeling warm and fuzzy again (already started)… which will guarantee Rutten sticks around next year and we’ll miss the Clarkson boat. Only to rue it in about 12 months time.