Here's THE (finalised) TEAM vs Saints

I designed a blitz plug in algorithm to auto ignore any names with sauce in them. Bliss.

(Put the fool on ignore and be done with it.)

How old are you? You gonna call me a goose again?, that’s always a good one.

The answer to the question people are asking is, you click the avatar of the individual in question, and the button you are looking for is in the top right of the screen.

Thanks !

No Demps in either side. Has much been said about how severe his hammy condition is?

Initially I thought it was being referred to as more a ‘tightness’ but sounding perhaps like your stock standard 3 week hamstring strain with potentially a further week give or take because of his history of re-tearing.

Hmm, not good. Thought he was in the top handful of players against the Swans.

You’re not telling players the result doesn’t matter. You are putting caution to the wind and playing fringe players and youth. If Edwards and Ashby were playing this week rather then Polkinghorne and Crowley, we would still get beaten regardless, however you could take far more out of that game and it might have been negative, but at least you are testing players while you have the chance.

I dont expect the members of the match committee have hissy fits because their favorite players are not selected.

No Edwards, No eades, No long... so absolutely no changes that would give us a shot at scoring over 60 points in a game.

Oh well… at least it is consistent.

We did get 8 goals in a half last week which is a pretty ■■■■■■ significant improvement. You think woosh might like to try that same structure again?

How many did we have in the first?

Fark off saucy you ■■■■. You have zero clue! Stop your sooking

I know more then you mate, it’s another ■■■■ team selection.

Why don’t we just whip em out and get the tape measure!

3 inches.
Even if you put 23 of them together it still wouldn’t be worth a TIPPAmetre.
I dont expect the members of the match committee have hissy fits because their favorite players are not selected.
I made a joke and then he got all sooky because it wasn't how he thinks.

We have to be seen to be picking teams with the aim of winning. The general consensus in the industry is that a certain proportion of experienced players are needed in the side for it to be competitive. So, pick too many young players in the side and it might be seen as running contrary to the “prime directive”

Saucy,

Can I point you towards the article by Campbell Brown regarding the debacle that is the Gold Coast Suns. Young players were gifted games without earning them and soon developed poor training and game day habits. Every player (young or old) has to earn their spot and sometimes it doesn’t hurt to hold someone back to make sure they are truly ready. Playing 5 to 6 “top up” players is exactly what we should be doing unless the younger guys are busting up the VFL. Losing to the bottom team in the VFL is not making me that excited about the young guys in the VFL team just at the moment.

This thread

Can I just move it forward 1 week ?

Who do we drop next week in order to bring in…
Dempsey, Stokes, Edwards, Eades & Long ?

Polkinghorne, Ambrose, Crowley, Jerrett etc

We have to be seen to be picking teams with the aim of winning. The general consensus in the industry is that a certain proportion of experienced players are needed in the side for it to be competitive. So, pick too many young players in the side and it might be seen as running contrary to the "prime directive"
It depends where your club is at, this season is unlike any before, we can play youth (as many clubs have done) above everything else because the result does not matter. Next year when we get all of our players back it will be completely different of course. If we were playing all kids this season i would be happy, however, if that was the case Gapsted would argue anyone saying we need to play more senior players, because he cannot have an original thought and agrees with everything the club does.

Remember those years when GWS kept playing kids, and kept getting spanked by literally 100 points every week…

There has been a few times this year where we have ‘Loaded up’ on mature players to get a win, or minimise the damage. Gold Coast, Collingwood, Carlton, Sydney. It didn’t make us any more likely to win. In fact, the opposite has seemed the case.

I realise it’s a cumulative effect, and you can’t play kids week in, week out without really running them into the ground,and the top ups are there so we’re not forced to do that.

But I strongly disagree that our ‘Best chance to win’ is by playing as many top ups as possible. Aside from Kelly, Dea, Stokes (maybe) and Grima to a much smaller extent… They don’t make us any better, they just make us more mediocre. And in most cases, much slower.

Listening to Worsfold today the message to Edwards seemed pretty clear. That being that the past two weeks were what the club expects on field and in training but they hadn’t seen enough of it over the pre-season and early rounds. I think we’ll see him in the Dreamtime game.

I don’t really see the parallels with Laverde.

And same applies to Laverde

HOW DARE YOU

5 kicks and half a goal ain’t going to win many games.

Dude, I’m pretty sure you’ve got Laverde mixed up with someone else. Some guy who kicked half a goal.
I'm trying to find the stat that tells us how he's gotten injured during games but can't seem to.

The kid’s gonna be a gun. Watch more football. Find some other player to whine about.

Who’s whining? He has done nothing yet, on this blog a favoured player player is to be inserted into the team in place of a disliked player after one successive good game no matter how unfit, inexperienced or inconsistent they are.
Do you realise how many players we have had in the last 65 years I have been watching Essendon that were gunna be guns.
When he dominates a succession of games in the VFL he will force his way in in the same manner as Gary O’Donnell did after a long apprenticeship.

Saucy,

Can I point you towards the article by Campbell Brown regarding the debacle that is the Gold Coast Suns. Young players were gifted games without earning them and soon developed poor training and game day habits. Every player (young or old) has to earn their spot and sometimes it doesn’t hurt to hold someone back to make sure they are truly ready. Playing 5 to 6 “top up” players is exactly what we should be doing unless the younger guys are busting up the VFL. Losing to the bottom team in the VFL is not making me that excited about the young guys in the VFL team just at the moment.

It is a completely different situation, they didn’t have 12 players coming back the next year.You guys treat this season like we need to survive it, when it could be a chance to find players who can create depth. Next year when they are all back and we have more draft picks in they are not going to get the chance.

HOW DARE YOU

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6fu7f0oe31rwcc6bo1_500.gif

And stop posting GIFS of my wife.

HOW DARE YOU

5 kicks and half a goal ain’t going to win many games.

Dude, I’m pretty sure you’ve got Laverde mixed up with someone else. Some guy who kicked half a goal.

Footy wire stats.

Jayden Laverde
#33 Essendon Bombers
Height: 190cm Weight: 82kg Position: Forward
Last Drafted: Round 1, Pick #20 2014 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Essendon Bombers
Supercoach Price: $309,400 Supercoach Profile
AFL Fantasy Price: $304,000 AFL Fantasy Profile
Status: Shoulder injury, Expected return: 4-6 weeks AFL Injury List
Profile | Games | Career | Splits | Bio | Compare

Career Season Totals
Year Team Games Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. Brownlow
2016 Essendon 1 3 5 8 1 1 0 2 0 2 0
2015 Essendon 9 49 68 117 32 5 1 34 2 5 8
Career 10 52 73 125 33 6 1 36 2 7 8
Career Season Averages
Year Team Games Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. Brownlow
2016 Essendon 1 3.0 5.0 8.0 1.0 1.0 0 2.0 0 2.0 0
2015 Essendon 9 5.4 7.6 13.0 3.6 0.6 0.1 3.8 0.2 0.6 0.9
Career 10 5.2 7.3 12.5 3.3

Saucy,

It is a completely different situation, they didn’t have 12 players coming back the next year.You guys treat this season like we need to survive it, when it could be a chance to find players who can create depth. Next year when they are all back and we have more draft picks in they are not going to get the chance.

It’s a long season. All these guys will get a look in. None of em probably have the endurance to handle long stretches of consistent best 22 footy. This week is dull for seeing another new guy get a go, but we’re only a third or so through. I think selection has been pretty great so far. Fingers crossed for next week. Eades would be ace.

People can't honestly say Edwards has had his chances at senior level? He played like 6/7 games and was sub for like 4 of those and showed way more than McKenna ever has at senior level.

That is just flat out wrong. Connor’s career averages are higher, and when you consider how many years they’ve both had in the system, much more impressive. They form at the VFL level also has the points going to Connor.

Edwards debuted in 2012, Connor last year. Connor has played AFL 5 games, Edwards 21.

Edwards has some talent, but he has not been able to put it on display any more than McKenna, and has had many many more chances to impress over 5 seasons in the AFL.

Edwards 21? Far out I thought it’d be half that. Actually I spose he played at GWS…

Whilst there’s no doubt that Edwards has a huge headstart, having been in the AFL system for 4/5 years and played the game all his life, compared to Connor’s 1.5 and 1.5 years respectively, I think CB’s point is accurate. Edwards has shown some real ability and things to work with at AFL level, some incredible marks and good goals, though it’s obviously about getting consistency and desire and effort from him. I think it’s pretty obvious to all and sundry that the ability is there, they are just trying to develop him on the other side of being an athlete.

I do think there’s a bit of a love affair with Connor though. Personally I think he would be better utilised as a midfielder than a forward but I’m just not sure he’s showing enough to hold his spot at the moment. I think people look at him and see his achievement of getting to where he is and focus on that more than what he’s actually showing on the field at this stage.

Edwards is 23 this December, McKenna turned 20 at the end of March.

If Edwards wants to get games at AFL level he needs to play good VFL footy consistently, and then do something at AFL levels more than you’d expect from a rookie. At the moment it doesn’t matter how many highlights he has had in snippets over the past 5 years, he needs to get some consistency and perform like the more senior player he is.

That he is being outperformed consistently at VFL level by McKenna is the reason McKenna is in the team ahead of him. And on performance in the AFL to date McKenna has been just as good too - better really, given the fact he has only played 5 games.

Guys on our list younger than Edwards:

Gleeson
Parish
Daniher
Zerrett

Francis
Fantasia
Ashby
Morgan
Redman
Langford
Laverde

Eades
Long
McKenna
Hams
Wallis
Nyuon

Guys just a few months older

Jerrett
Michael
Hartley
Tippa

All of the above bold players have demonstrated better form than Edwards at VFL and AFL level. If he wants to get a game he gets held to their standard, and doesn’t push in line ahead of any of them. Given players like Gleeson, Jerrett, and Ashby are in and out of the side, why should Edwards get a run just for the sake of it?

Guys like Redman and McKenna, who’ve played less than 10 games, might get a run now and then to taste the grade and see how they go, but sustained performance and form is the only thing that gets you a spot past that, and Edwards hasn’t demonstrated it to date.

He’s still by far the best player on our list who is his exact age