Here's THE TEAM vs Whorethorn

It’s pretty clear that Smack will go into the ruck, Tippa to the forward pocket and Ambrose to half back.

3 Likes

If we let them out of the middle with no pressure on them like we did in the JLT, there fwds will have a field day.

Our rucks just have to compete well enough as to not allow too many controlled hit-outs to advantage. If they get first use of the ball we must have pressure on the ball carrier so they cant direct there kicks into the fwd line.

Absolutely agree.

Hawks are gonna be majorly surprised when we exchange Ambrose in the ruck for the significantly taller Smack.

15 Likes

Actually Ambrose will play 1:1 all night on Vickery I would think - deep defence on Vickery when he is forward and in the ruck when Vickery is in the ruck.

The risk we run is that if McKernan gets injured we are really stuffed.

I would have picked either Bellchambers or Draper to play 40-50 minutes.

Stewart isn’t in the side - yet - because he was absolutely insipid and had no physical presence when asked to ruck in the JLT series. I have little time for KP players - like Stewart & Mitch Brown - who have no physical presence. Ditto Gleeson…most AFLW players can put stronger tackles on than him. Would have played Dea ahead of him because at least he can genuinely play as 3rd defensive tall and has some physical presence about him.

5 Likes

The original ■■■■■ hat.

Because his form hasn’t been great so far I guess.

No McKenna.

No Francis.

No Begley.

And NO RUCKMAN.

■■■■ a brick.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Stuart a late inclusion.

Hawthorn were slow last year and now they have also lost Hill. We will cut them up I reckon. Good side.

3 Likes

Had the same thought briefly.

Ball travels faster than the man. No point being quicker if you can’t hit targets as well

3 Likes

Well good thing one of our quickest guys is also one of our best field kicks

5 Likes

Who for?

I am ten beers down and fly out in a few hours. BRING IT ON

19 Likes

Solid team, really happy with those selections.

A lot of pressure of Smack, although that was always going to be the case. Really hope to see more of Stanton/Kelly and even Goddard around the contest if we start to get out-bodied around the stoppages, though.

Pumped for McGrath. Good luck to the kid.

3 Likes

As with everyone else, been waiting for this. Flying in from Beijing via HK tomorrow, Saturday morning arrival. Pumped. GO BOMBERS.

24 Likes

I reckon smack will shut a lot of you folk up.

11 Likes

I do.

He is easy to understand.

12 Likes

This whole “risk we face if Smack gets injured” applies to most of comp going in with 1 main ruck and a pinch hitter. If Gawn went down and they only had Pederson as back up they’d be even more farked.

Obviously coaching group has decided we are going to try and beat them with run / manic pressure with the smalls.

Clearly we won’t be structuring up as named.

It is interesting how tall Hawks have gone though, assuming our talls go to theirs we may end up seeing Gunston & Gleeson matched up at times.

Have to say that the flexibility Hawks have with that fwd group of Roughy, Vickery, Schoenmakers, Gunston, Sicily, Breust, Rioli and Puopolo is amazing. Our defense will be under the pump as Hawks will constantly be trying to get a mismatch.