Hird To Concentrate On Preparing for 2015

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-07-25/club-statement

Probably a good thing.

Apart from thinking it's a missed opportunity to further shock the masses....  I'm pretty happy with that.

Very sensible.  Prudent.  Risk-minimisation approach.

Is Steph Hird still available to coach?

Hirdys getting the red and black berets ready for the Bomber Shop

Due to the considerable interest in this matter, we think it is important to clarify this today so that everyone understands how the club is approaching the next couple of months and there is no room for confusion or speculation.” “Everyone at the Essendon Football Club looks forward to welcoming James back to the club when he returns as senior coach for the 2015 season.”                

Well said.

I hope that sinks in with certain people.

Recruiting Candy.  

Great news.

Fantastic news,

HAVE A CRACK BOMBER.

ARGHH. Whhy do I go on the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-board-tells-james-hird-to-stay-away-from-coaches-box-until-next-season/story-fni5f6kv-1227001474956

ESSENDON has sensationally told suspended senior coach James Hird to stay away from coaching until the end of the season.

Hird‘s 12-month suspension expires on August 25 — but the Bombers board have told him to steer clear of any coaching duties until the club‘s 2014 campaign is over.

He will have no match-day responsibilities.

The shock decision was made by the Essendon board at a meeting on Thursday night.

Hird was expected to return to a coaching role under interim senior coach Mark Thompson for the Round 23 clash against Carlton.

But he has been told to take a back seat until the club‘s pre-season campaign begins.

Essendon believes Hird‘s presence will be an unwanted distraction as it head towards a September finals series.

It is believed the decision was made despite a strong push from the some players and Thompson for Hird to have involvement at the club once his suspension was served.

Essendon chairman Paul Little said today: “Earlier this week I met with James, general manager of football performance Neil Craig, CEO Xavier Campbell and 2014 senior coach Mark Thompson to discuss what is in the best interest of the club and more specifically the playing group, as we prepare for what we all hope will be an active finals campaign.

“As a result, we have all agreed that when James is eligible to return to the club on 25 August, James‘ focus will be entirely on the 2015 season — he will not be in the coaching box or have an active coaching role at training.

“In that time period between 25 August until our final game of the season, James will take the opportunity to begin planning the upcoming pre-season, list management, recruiting and preparation for 2015 away from the club.

“The principle agreed on was heavily influenced by what was in the best interests of the club and, most importantly, the players.”

James Hird will concentrate on preparing for next season.

Hird said: “As much as I would dearly love to have jumped straight back into working with the team, I am determined that whatever role I play should in no way act as a distraction from the 2014 campaign.

“I would like to congratulate the club on what has been achieved so far this year. In very tough circumstances, the club has demonstrated great strength and resilience.

“As I will not be making any further public comments in relation to any matter, including the Federal Court case, I ask the media respect the privacy of my family — I know you all have jobs to do but given that I will not be making any comment on anything, I ask you to please respect my privacy.

“I love the Essendon Football Club, its players and the game of Australian rules football.”

Earlier this year, Little declared Hird would be welcomed back to the coach‘s box for the Round 23 match.

He said the agreement with the exiled coach was “set in concrete”.

“I would be surprised if Mark (Thompson) didn‘t invite him into the box because of the contribution he will make. Very surprised,” Little said.

“But that is up to Mark and James and I won‘t second guess that, it‘s too far away now.

“We can‘t wait to get him back. James can‘t wait to get back. Mark is very understanding of the arrangement put in place.

“I know the press would like to think that is a fluid arrangement. It is not. It is set in concrete.”

Hird returned from France on Monday declaring he “can‘t wait” to get back to the club and help out.

474928-89f7963c-13a8-11e4-bbaf-47cb7c4f8

Mark Thompson will lead the Bombers into the finals.

Hird and his family left for France in March where he attended one of the world‘s most exclusive business schools near Paris.

Secret documents and a bombshell email published by the Herald Sun in December lifted the lid on behind-the-scenes inducements offered to Hird last year as the AFL worked frantically to pressure him to accept drugs scandal penalties.

In a document presented to Hird on August 23, amid negotiations between Australia‘s top government-appointed sports official, John Wylie and Bombers chairman Paul Little, the Essendon coach was offered “an outstanding career development opportunity” in return for dropping his legal action against the AFL.

Wylie admitted he was “requested by both Paul Little and (AFL Commission chairman) Mike Fitzpatrick, in the first instance by Paul, to assist in communications between the AFL and Essendon at a time when ­direct communication between them was difficult.”

There were discussions about sending Hird to Oxford University in England, where both Wylie and Fitzpatrick are Rhodes scholars.

But Hird later independently applied to attend the exclusive Fontainebleau business school in France.

BULLISH. 

"It is believed the decision was made despite a strong push from the some players and Thompson for Hird to have involvement at the club once his suspension was served" 

sack the board

■■■, shocking! I’m so SHOCKED!

Who would’ve seen this coming? I don’t know how I’ll live with this news!

Due to the considerable interest in this matter, we think it is important to clarify this today so that everyone understands how the club is approaching the next couple of months and there is no room for confusion or speculation.” “Everyone at the Essendon Football Club looks forward to welcoming James back to the club when he returns as senior coach for the 2015 season.”                

Well said.

Not quite enough room in the article for that.

I suspect this decision was largely driven by the club/AFL wanting to avoid any welcome-back display on the part of the fans at the round 22 game.  The players and the coaching staff certainly seem like they'd have preferred Hird back right away.

If it was really 'in the interests of 2015', Hird would be in the coaching box at the very least to watch how Bomber, Bassett etc go about things on game day before returning to the senior role.  Letting him watch on would hopefully help him minimise the inevitable disruption in the way the coaches interact with players that happens every time a club changes coaches.

ARGHH. Whhy do I go on the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-board-tells-james-hird-to-stay-away-from-coaches-box-until-next-season/story-fni5f6kv-1227001474956

ESSENDON has sensationally told suspended senior coach James Hird to stay away from coaching until the end of the season.

Well, I guess "Hird, Bombers have friendly meeting and happily agree to plan" doesn't sell papers.

I'm pleased about this. It means we might actually get to see our team play finals on TV.

In the event of Hird returning, the broadcaster's desire to show him sitting pensively at the back of the box would have meant we may not have actually see any of the play occurring on the ground.

"It is believed the decision was made despite a strong push from some players [b]and Thompson[/b] for Hird to have involvement at the club once his suspension was served" 

sack the board

Would've thought Bomber had the final say. If the above statement is correct then can we infer a phone call took place between McLachlan and Little? And from that can we infer that the AFL has promised a high degree of support in that other issue that we don't mention in the Dustin Fletcher Hangar any more?

Well said.

Not quite enough room in the article for that.

Seriously    FARK THE MEDIA

Caro correct again?

WHAT A SCANDAL!

Am I doing this right?