HIV RISES 19% in Hetero Males over the last 5 years

I’m still bitter that I was promised a foot up the ■■■ and you never delivered

2 Likes

A mate of mine has been HIV positive since the early 90’s. He thinks he became infected after an encounter in Thailand. He insists all his interactions there were strictly heterosexual. We took his word for it…

It would be interesting to know the raw numbers. It says in the article that the total number of new diagnoses was 963. Of those, homosexual males are the overwhelming majority. Some of the remainder are women. Intravenous drug users account for some as well. I suspect the actual number of heterosexual men infected through sexual encounters with women is very low. I do remember being told by a doctor back in the nineties when the total numbers were far higher that although heterosexual infection was possible, there had at that point not been a single case in Australia.

What a load of crap.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s difficult to evaluate anything based purely on the numbers in that article. Other than in an increasing Australian population, infection numbers (appear to ) have decreased. Which is a good result, obviously.

1 Like

Sometime ago when I was working for VicAids it was bi-sexual men who were a problem because they wouldn’t use condoms or other forms of protection.

1. They weren’t open to a conversation and talking about practicing safe sex.
  2. They would not consider having a conversation with their female partner about using protection and why? And; we had to protect their confidentiality. I would often see men I knew when I was handing out free condoms at a beat or in a pub.

Some younger people I know, say they are strictly heterosexual, admit they do not practice any form of protection and do not want to. STD’s in the community are rampant. Risky business.

1 Like

When your running a mindfulness program for teenagers, and the organisation says to shut it down because it promotes Buddism and is not inline with the Christian ethos… it’s not a stretch to say the same charities are standing in the way of proactive sexual health education.

In fact I know this is the case.

1 Like

“Every organisation” is probably a stretch! Sounds more like one mindfulness program.

1 Like

You are extrapolating based on one limited example not basing it on factual evidence. You just said “I bang my head against a wall because every organisation is sh*t scared of the Christians.” A ridiculous statement.

1 Like

Your right.
I should have said 95% of organisations.

Funding is the key reason. The majority of funding sources for not-for-profits, schools and charities organisations is from the church or the government. They demand conservative and uncontroversial approaches to service delivery.

The only way to get around this and start applying a service that addresses community needs with an evidence based approach is if an organisation has the backing from socially progressive philanthropic bodies and businesses.

Sex education in schools, including Christian ones are generally pretty thorough regarding safe sex.

The issue you highlighted has nothing to do with safe-sex but to do with meditation techniques, which don’t protect you from STI’s.

I’ll have to track down the systematic review, but I remember reading the risk of HIV transmission female --> male, via vaginal intercourse (I am surprised that the swear filter didn’t censor that…), is half of that male–>female.

Also, as this research was done by the Kirby Institute, I suspect that drug users would have been separated within analysis. There are programs in place to minimise HIV transmission (amongst other blood borne diseases) within this population, so they’d want to isolate the effectiveness of them.

That is absolutely not true.

Peak welfare organisations like VCOSS, YACVIC and VICHEALTH have conducted studies recently with educators and young people regarding sexual health education. Health Teachers are frustrated that the curriculum doesn’t allow them to address the actual need of their students. Rather they have to abide to the curriculum, the school’s ethical values and expectations from parents.

Students are frustrated that they only learn about the science of sexual anatomy. No such practical knowledge of hygiene, love & relationships, access to sexual health medical services, body image, emergency contraception, sexual pleasure, the negative impact of po.rnography, cultural considerations, and sexual diversity.

93% or young men between the ages of 13-16 have watched po.rnography. One might think this figure is all fun and games, but when the young men are saying part of the reason they watch po.rn is to learn ‘how to have sex’… we honestly have an issue with our sex education programs. Po.rnography is a young man’s sex education. This is seriously concerning.

That is NOT why boys look at po.rn and any claims from anyone that this is the case is a load of crap.

“Why do you look at po.rn”
“I just read the articles”

Seriously, that’s all you just said and it is bullcrap. No amount of stats or studies will convince me otherwise. Boys look at po.rn because it gets them going and it always has.

I agree there needs to be more education about the dangers of using por.n as an example of how sex should be. Boys will be convinced that things like "facials’ etc are what girls want and that is far from the truth. That certainly can be discussed and should be open to being discussed in the right environment for all parties involved. Just doing this at school in front of all your mates is not always the best place for it.

I’ve got several family members who work in health and education. They all concur with this.

1 Like

Well there is no point having this conversation then.

If you won’t acknowledge the body of research conducted by reputable organisations because of your ignorance. Then we have come to the end of the discussion.

Whether a young person is conscious of it or not, they are learning to have sex by watching po.rn, because theyre not being educated to do it respectfully.

IT just want you to re-read those two lines from your post again.

@jonovdp 's point was that boys are learning about (what they think are normal) sexual experiences from po.rn. And it seems like you somewhat agree with that.

Not when you basically insult all Christians.

Christian groups have long stood in the way of safe sex education, all over the world. This is completely and utterly undeniable

1 Like