Home automation

Anyone tried it?

Remote control of lights, blinds/shutter, security, CCTV, door control, watering

Clipsal do it, but Clipsal C-Bus is expensive.

Still not mature. Wouldn't bother just yet.

Googles acquisition of Net Labs is interesting.

C-Bus is about as good as it gets in Australia.  I've had a fair bit to do with it in my time.  There is a cheaper version called Hager Tebis TX, which can do almost everything that C-Bus does but doesn't have the aesthetically pleasing wall switches and touch screens.

C-Bus is getting better and better though.

Get up off the lounge once in a while you fat bastards.

Thought for a minute this was about the perfect Wife

LOLZ ...you did not. You know that no such being exists :-D

of course it does! 

hi mrs pre! 

of course it does! 

hi mrs pre!

...excepting Mrs Pre of course ;-)

What you mean, I am slowly working through the female population, number three is not perfect but easily the best so far, and is a Bomber Girl.
I reckon by about number five or six, I will have it sorted. Watch out Koala, you are on the prospect list !

What you mean, I am slowly working through the female population, number three is not perfect but easily the best so far, and is a Bomber Girl.
I reckon by about number five or six, I will have it sorted. Watch out Koala, you are on the prospect list !

LOLZ. Needs it's own thread.....and maybe a movie ;-)

A mate of mine set up a home brewery, I'm not talking home brew when I say this it is practically a micro-micro brewery. Everything processed is monitored and controlled and when we're out and about he can turn it on and a start brewing from his iPhone using some app... The thing is nuts. the best part about it due to its temperature control and monitoring system its consistent as well. Never a bad drop. If I were to do some home automation I'd be making me a brewery!  

Most of the stuff was American, shipped across. I'll try find out some finer details as I'm sure some may be interested... Think the netlabs which was previously suggested might be used. Just a chemical engineer who loves a beer...

1 Like

Friends have lights that come on when you walk into rooms, and at night if you go for a slash they are a bit dimmer and at ground level.

The Bottling Station530511_10151866311771885_228180023_n.jpgAutomated to the ****, I wasn't joking, fully pressurized bottling station... I'll try get more pics of the rest of his kit but this being his latest installment... 

He'll be making flippers next.

what you talken bout fooool? dafuq is flipper?

I believe it is an old sailing ship... wait, no, that's a clipper. A flipper is any newish sailing boat with me and my mate on it. They always end up crushed against Frankston pier.

We have C Bus. We haven’t really opted to use a lot of the automation, partly because th house has forever been 98% (and I mean 98%) finished. Many rooms have automated lights and the toilet is one. The midnight slash I nearly get blinded by the lights, that dimming option someone memtioned is awesome I’ll try program when I get home. I’ll type more when not on iPad.

Since moving into our new house I've been wondering who the hell the left handed dyslexic japanese midget was who decided where to put all light switches.

I was thinking when we get a sparky to replace/install light fittings it might be worth it to get some kind of touch pad set up at either end of the house that controls most of them that controls all of them but I imagine it would be out of my budget.

As an example, in our open plan kitchen/dining/meals area is we have the following:

kitchen lights - switch as you enter from the laundry

lights over kitchen bench - switch near the pantry

lights over dining table - switch as you enter from hallway

lights over lounge area - switch near back door

There's also switches for the rear yard light, side light, and light over the bar, all in the same room.

I've started going to bed just before the Mrs so I don't have to turn all the lights off!

You need the lighting to be all wired into a network. If it hasn’t been done when the house was first built, it’s very tricky and costly to retro-fit it.

But lighting technology is advancing quickly, and the next wave will have all the intelligence in the light fixture itself, allowing you to control the fixture directly.

Until then, don’t bother. It’s great for commercial buildings, it’s over priced for residential

You need the lighting to be all wired into a network. If it hasn't been done when the house was first built, it's very tricky and costly to retro-fit it.
But lighting technology is advancing quickly, and the next wave will have all the intelligence in the light fixture itself, allowing you to control the fixture directly.
Until then, don't bother. It's great for commercial buildings, it's over priced for residential

Nah I don't think its overpriced for residential, it's more people see it on TV and say "I want it to do EVERYTHING, Ipad's, Phone control, touch screens etc" which then blows out the price ridiculously. 

If you can sit down and go through with them the capabilities of C-Bus as a lighting control and energy efficient power saver, explain what they need rather than what they want, then its pretty reasonable.